Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Entering edit mode by double clicking should make more sense (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=154554)

rogerlevy 2012-02-15 19:32

Entering edit mode by double clicking should make more sense

After months of getting to know Reason, this is one area (among a few) that still has me scratching my head all the time and frustratedly scrolling around.

It's subtle, but pretty irritating. I apologize if it explains it somewhere in the manual.

When you double click to edit a clip, I wish that Reason would put me in a place that made sense more of the time.

Example - double-clicking on a clip and being greeted with a grid with no notes visible - have to scroll around to find them.

Example - double-clicking on a clip and being absolutely nowhere near the point where you clicked on the clip. Even worse, being situated over another clip which is not even "selected".

I think that it's supposed to put you where you last where in the clip. Sadly I don't think this works half the time, and anyway, I don't remember where I last was in every single track or clip, and often I am jumping around. It would make more sense for it to put you centered at the position you click. It should take the upper and lower bounds of the notes in the clip and scroll vertically to the average vertical position.

On a related note...

The navigator at the bottom should zoom into/from the point where the mouse is when I begin holding the right-button, not the center. Example of issues caused by this - you go to the beginning of the song with the navigator and then try to zoom in. The box shrinks towards its center - but you want it to stay at the beginning of the song. You have to continually adjust and scroll to the left. This is not the only case but I think in general it would make much more sense to have it grow and shrink centered at the origin defined by the position of the mouse when yo start to right-click-drag.

JiggeryPokery 2012-02-15 19:45

What really annoys me is clicking an automation clip with the Pen while in Song View... exactly why do I just get a new clip overlaid? Surely what you actually want is to edit the existing automation?

It's not quite such a big deal with notes, since you need to open the Edit mode anyway to edit the notes, but since Reason allows you to draw automation straight into the sequencer lanes clicking an automation clip with the Pen should automatically make it editable.

Death by double-clicking should be outlawed!!

clarktw 2012-02-15 20:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlevy (Post 1001410)
... - double-clicking on a clip and being absolutely nowhere near the point where you clicked on the clip...

Before you double-click, place the Song Position Pointer in the clip at the position you want to work with. The Edit Screen opens with the pointer in the middle of the screen. The pointer determines the spot, not the mouse click itself.

rogerlevy 2012-02-16 00:57

Ah I see. Thank you. This will make things easier.

It would make for a faster workflow to use the mouse click position though :)

EDIT: Not to mention it is more natural to set the position to the beginning a clip you want to edit, and then double click somewhere in the middle to get at a specific phrase you want to fix or change, then press play to listen. The current way, I have to move the pointer to the beginning of a clip ANYWAY, double click, scroll around, edit, then play. When the scroll step could be ommitted. OR even not having to think about moving the pointer before you do your edits. I don't like the forced order of operation and extra steps.

clarktw 2012-02-16 01:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by rogerlevy (Post 1001610)
... The current way, I have to move the pointer to the beginning of a clip ANYWAY...

Why? .........

rogerlevy 2012-02-16 04:53

because if i wanted to audition the clip i'd have to move the pointer twice - before entering edit mode and then after editing, again, to the beginning of the clip or phrase. so might as well put it at the beginning of the clip i want to edit every time so i don't have to think about it. in practice this probably wouldn't be what i did, i'm just theorizing. i'll probably move it twice.

clarktw 2012-02-16 06:14

Your description brings something to mind that I didn’t know about for a long time and it really helps smooth the workflow. If you already know this, then posting it may still help someone else:

When it comes to moving the Song Position Pointer, the Left and Right Markers and the End Marker, you never have to touch the “vertical line with the head on it” and drag it at all. To move the Pointer, just click on the spot in the Ruler where you want it and it moves there. To move the “L” just Ctrl-click in the Ruler; the “R” just Alt-click; the “E” just Shift-click. That’s in Windows; Mac has some other name for the Ctrl and Alt keys, and Mac does it as well.

rogerlevy 2012-02-16 18:12

Yeah, knew about that :P I'm hugely reliant on shortcuts because I am extremely impatient and like to be able to work quickly XD