Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Recording questions: Yamaha P-155 and Reason interface (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=155043)

RiverTamRocks 2012-02-26 01:18

Recording questions: Yamaha P-155 and Reason interface

1 Attachment(s)
Hey,
I'm thinking of getting Reason Essentials but have a couple questions first. I want to hook up my Yamaha P-155 to the interface, then the interface to my computer, and record piano music. Then I want to record vocals and mix in other instruments from reason and make my own songs. Is this even possible with this program? Maybe I have the wrong idea. I'm not sure what kind of cable to get for one thing, and I don't know if Reason will work with this piano. My goal is to record the actual piano music, then vocals, by hooking up the piano and a mic to the Reason interface.
I'm also wondering, (if this is possible,) if I can record the other instruments directly from the Yamaha, or if the interface will only pick up the piano. I have no idea why that would be the case, but just thought I'd ask.
Thanks!

I think this picture also shows that my plan can be done but I'm not sure. And I still don't know how to actually get there. Plus I don't know what's with the midi key board AND the regular piano key board.

http://www.propellerheads.se/product...cle=tech-specs

SteveDiverse 2012-02-26 02:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverTamRocks (Post 1006209)
I'm thinking of getting Reason Essentials but have a couple questions first. I want to hook up my Yamaha P-155

Your P-155 has MIDI out and AUX OUT (which is audio).

If you get Balance+Essentials, you will need two (2) audio cables with 1/4" jacks (mono) to connect the aux out L+R (stereo) to the line inputs on balance. this will allow you to record your P-155 piano sounds as audio in Reason.

To record vocals, you'll need a mic. the best choice is an XLR mic with XLR cable to connect to Balance's mic input. The other option is a mic with a 1/4" jack.

Note that Balance can only record 2 inputs at a time, so you can't record your piano in stereo and vocals at the same time.

If you want to play the instruments in reason (synths, etc) you will also need a midi interface and a midi cable to connect the midi-out from your P-155 to the midi interface input.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverTamRocks (Post 1006209)
I think this picture also shows that my plan can be done but I'm not sure. And I still don't know how to actually get there. Plus I don't know what's with the midi key board AND the regular piano key board.

That picture does show your plan. The keyboard in the upper left is being connected via it's audio out (as you will do). the other keyboard, lower right, is a midi controller, which means it doesn't make its own sounds, it just sends midi info to reason to play reason's instrument devices. with your keyboard connected to a midi interface, you'll have roughly the same feature.

n0ahg 2012-02-26 02:26

If you mean Balance, it is a 2in 2out interface so you can record 1 x stereo or 2 x mono inputs at once. Reason Essentials will work with other interfaces too.

3rdFloorSound 2012-02-26 02:29

Yeah that can be done, long as it has a line out/external speaker or headphone jack. The interface will record whatever sound the Yamaha is putting out. You'd just need instrument cable(s) to hook up to your interface. If you want to use midi at some point to control instruments within reason you'll also need a midi interface like the one I have for instance: http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Uno.html unless your audio interface has midi inputs - then you'd just need regular midi cables.

3rdFloorSound 2012-02-26 02:30

Damn, we all answered that one pretty quickly lol

RiverTamRocks 2012-02-28 03:41

As far as recording piano and vocals, do you think this is a good method, or should I maybe go with something like a simple interface then advance to Reason Essentials later? Is this how you would go about recording? As far as recording piano and vocals one at a time, that's fine cause I was planning to do that anyway.
Thanks, this was really helpful.

RiverTamRocks 2012-02-28 03:43

I did mean Balance. Thanks! I'll keep this in mind

RiverTamRocks 2012-02-28 04:03

It has a headphone jack and I think it also has a line out but not sure about that one. Do you think this is the right way to go about recording piano music? I also would like to use the instruments in Reason and use the program to mix my songs, but I keep wondering if this method is too complicated to use. If I buy Reason Essentials, plug in the right cable to the head phone jack (what kind of cable btw?), and plug the other end of said cable to my computer, then use Reason to record the piano music, would that work? Sorry if I'm making you repeat yourself, I'm just trying to clarify. Seems like each time I'm about to go buy Reason Essentials, I hit another question. Just want to make sure I have it right.

RiverTamRocks 2012-02-28 04:05

Yeah you really did, I was impressed when I came back here lol

3rdFloorSound 2012-02-28 14:02

Yeah, looking at the pic online it's got a line out/aux so you'll be good to go there. There's a few different ways and it all depends on your goal, the only wrong way is the one that sounds like crap to you. It's not complicated, it can look that way when you're first using the program but once you learn the basics it gets simple quickly. The only question I have is whether the keyboard puts out a true stereo signal. In that case I'd get two instrument cables (that's the actual name) and plug left and right into separate channels on the interface. I say pull the trigger on it.
Just looked through the thread: you do know that Essentials comes with balance, right? No secondary purchase there.