Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ignition key not responding / Internet verification blocked (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=155516)

SnelleJelle 2012-03-06 19:24

Ignition key not responding / Internet verification blocked

I'm using Reason on both my laptop when I produce music whenever i'm not my studio. So when I go to my studio i transfer my reasonfiles to my desktop and continu working.. The problem is I often forget to quit reason on my laptop and I also prefer the use of internet verification as I despice dongles.

Right now my account is blocked because this happened 3 times (twice from the same IP Number) For another reaseon my ignition key is not working. When I insert it its blinking red yellow between 5 and 10 seconds and then nothing! This shit is killing me as I have an really big project I need to work on.

I'm almost at the point where I'm uninstalling reason 6 and go back to version 5.

I already contacted the support crew but no feedback so far. I know that piracy is a bad thing but you really can't make it paying customers to hard to get their stuff to work. Also I think it's quite reasonable to let Reason work on 2 computers at the same time if they are on the same IP number!

SnelleJelle 2012-03-06 22:26

No one ever had this issue?

How long does it take before they unlock your account?

What could be wrong with the ignition key?

Exowildebeest 2012-03-06 22:33

Only support can help you with this, as you are indeed not supposed to have two Reasons running at the same time.

It sucks, I know. When you buy a couch, you can sit on it with as many people as you like, since it is YOUR couch. But apparently this is not the case with software. Stupid world.

Grumbleweed 2012-03-06 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exowildebeest (Post 1010382)
Only support can help you with this, as you are indeed not supposed to have two Reasons running at the same time.

It sucks, I know. When you buy a couch, you can sit on it with as many people as you like, since it is YOUR couch. But apparently this is not the case with software. Stupid world.

Well, not really. One person buys Reason 6 and loads it on a bunch of computers. The log in info is shared about and then a bunch of people can use Reason without paying for it. Sucks to be Propellerhead.

Grum.

SnelleJelle 2012-03-07 01:03

Common man, it's so obvious that this has nothing to do with me sharing my info with other people so "a bunch of people can use Reason without paying for it. "

In 4 months it happened three times and twice it was from the same IP Adress. And I actually find it really weird that you can't use 2 computers to use your software simultaneously. My point is that I bought software. I could 've just downloaded Reason5 and use it without paying for it but I strongly believe in paying for software so you can get proper service when you need it.

It makes me wonder that I lost a day in the studio not able to do ANYTHING because propellerhead will take at least 2 days to get back to me. its pissing me off quite bad

Exowildebeest 2012-03-07 01:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumbleweed (Post 1010395)
Well, not really. One person buys Reason 6 and loads it on a bunch of computers. The log in info is shared about and then a bunch of people can use Reason without paying for it. Sucks to be Propellerhead.

Grum.

I once gave my friends the key to my house so they could use my couch.

Then the couch-company came and took my couch away. Turns out, I didn't buy the couch, just a license to use the couch for myself.

Exowildebeest 2012-03-07 02:00

Illuminating absurdity aside, what amazes me is how Reason, and software in general, is misleadingly marketed. It is not made very clear that you are buying a 'license to use' instead of ownership. You don't see that in the store. They are not makng commercials urging you to buy the license, they are making it appear in their advertising as if you buy the software.

Not to mention the text of the licenses themselves, sometimes being insanely long and full of legal gibberish - just read the iTunes licence forbidding you to use the software for manufacturing chemical, biological or nuclear weapons.

The world is absurd, that's all I'm concluding from this.

SteveDiverse 2012-03-07 06:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exowildebeest (Post 1010454)
Illuminating absurdity aside, what amazes me is how Reason, and software in general, is misleadingly marketed. It is not made very clear that you are buying a 'license to use' instead of ownership.

I disagree. It is always very clear. You can't install a single piece of software without accepting the agreement... People just don't read the agreement, they just click "Accept" because if they click "Decline" the software won't install.

"Not reading" is very different from "not clear" IMO.

NOTE: I am not necessarily in disagreement with any complaints about any software licensing agreements, I'm just pointing out that software companies are very transparent with their licensing agreements - people just don't read them. It's called "caveat emptor".

Here's the entire props EULA (noting that compared to other software products, this EULA is extremely concise. Give a look at the iTunes User Agreement in contrast):
Quote:

SOFTWARE LICENSING CONTRACT

This Propellerhead Software End User License Agreement accompanies a Propellerhead software product and related explanatory materials ("Software"). The term "Software" shall also include any upgrades, modified versions or updates of the Software licensed to you by Propellerhead Software. This copy of the Software is licensed to you as the end user. Please read this Agreement carefully.

Propellerhead Software grants to you a nonexclusive license to use the Software, provided that you agree to the following:

1. Use of the Software.
a. Unless otherwise specified, this license is your personal license and the software may only be used by you.
b. If the license is a multi license, the software may only be used by the company, institution or organization to which it is registered.
c. At any given time, you may only use the software on as many computers as your license permits. Unless specifically specified, licenses are single user licenses and may only be used on one computer at a time.
d. The sound samples and musical examples connected to the Software may NOT be reformatted, mixed, filtered, re-synthesized, or otherwise edited or altered for use in any kind of commercial sampling product/package or software- this is strictly prohibited without the express written consent of Propellerhead Software.
e. The musical examples connected to the Software may NOT be used in any commercial music production- this is strictly prohibited without the express written consent of Propellerhead Software.

2. Copyright. The Software is owned by Propellerhead Software and its suppliers, and its structure, organization and code are the valuable trade secrets of Propellerhead Software and its suppliers. The Software is also protected by International Copyright Law and International Treaty provisions. You agree not to modify, adapt, translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Software. You may use trademarks only to identify output produced by the Software, in accordance with accepted trademark practice, including identification of trademark owner's name. Such use of any trademark does not give you any rights of ownership in that trademark. Except as stated above, this Agreement does not grant you any intellectual property rights in the Software.

3. Transfer. You may not rent, lease, or sublicense the Software. You may, however, transfer all your rights to use the Software to another person or entity, provided that you transfer this Agreement with the Software.

4. No warranty. The Software is being delivered to you AS IS and Propellerhead Software makes no warranty other than that the Software shall conform to the specifications in the documentation during a warranty period of twelve month from delivery. Propellerhead Software will only remedy deviations from the specification providing that the deviation substantially affects your use of the Software. Propellerhead Software may under such circumstances choose to replace your copy of the Software with a new one.

5. Limited warranty; Ignition Key. The Software has been delivered to you with a USB key (“Ignition Key”). Propellerhead Software warrants that the Ignition Key will be in conformity with the product documentation during a warranty period of twelve months from delivery. Propellerhead undertakes, at its sole discretion, to repair or replace the Ignition Key free of charge if the Ignition Key fails to conform with the product documentation due to any manufacturing defects.

APART FROM ABOVE PROPELLERHEAD SOFTWARE AND ITS SUPPLIERS DO NOT AND CANNOT WARRANT THE PERFORMANCE OR RESULTS YOU MAY OBTAIN BY USING THE SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION. PROPELLERHEAD SOFTWARE AND ITS SUPPLIERS MAKE NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT WILL PROPELLERHEAD SOFTWARE OR ITS SUPPLIERS BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY LOST PROFITS OR LOST SAVINGS, EVEN IF A PROPELLERHEAD SOFTWARE REPRESENTATIVE HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, OR FOR ANY CLAIM BY ANY THIRD PARTY.

Some jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental, consequential or special damages, or the exclusion of implied warranties or limitations on how long an implied warranty may last, so the above limitations may not apply to you.

6. This contract shall be exclusively subject to the laws of Sweden. If any one stipulation of this License contract should be or become invalid, completely or in part, this shall not affect the validity of the remaining stipulations. The parties undertake instead to replace the invalid stipulation with a valid regulation which comes as closely as possible to the purpose originally intended.

Place of jurisdiction is location of the national sales company or agent. Propellerhead Software can also, however, at its free discretion, open proceedings at the registered address of the Licensee. This Agreement shall automatically terminate upon failure by you to comply with its terms. This Agreement may only be modified in writing signed by an authorized officer of Propellerhead Software.

Propellerhead Software and Reason are registered trademarks which may be registered in certain jurisdictions.

Your acceptance or decline of the foregoing Agreement [was] indicated during installation.

If you should have any queries concerning this License contract or wish to speak to Propellerhead Software about any matter, please contact the following address in writing: Propellerhead Software, Hornsbruksgatan 23, SE-117 34 Stockholm, Sweden.

PRIVACY POLICY
You consent to the collection, processing and storage by Propellerhead of Your personal information in accordance with the terms of Propellerhead’s Privacy Policy, which is available at www.propellerheads.se. You agree to comply with all applicable laws and regulations, and the terms of Propellerhead’s Privacy Policy, with respect to any access, use and/or submission by You of any personal information in connection with this web site.

SnelleJelle 2012-03-07 11:30

Btw I get Exo his point. It's made very clear, if you read the agreement, AFTER you paid in the store.

Anyway, I still can't use my software.

n0ahg 2012-03-07 12:14

If you ran Reason 5 on more than one computer at a time you were in breach of the EULA so nothing has changed.