Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Best controller for Reason's SSL mixer emulation or how I've grown to miss Reason. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=155879)

zgomot 2012-03-13 13:29

Best controller for Reason's SSL mixer emulation or how I've grown to miss Reason.

Hyio! I'm (sort of) back.

I sold my Reason & Record license some time ago and went the Ableton Live route, but I've come to really miss Reason and it's approach to making music. I was never more inspired and productive than I was when using Reason.

Currently I'm using Ableton Live and an APC20 and in home-studio situations I use the controller mostly (if not exclusively) as a mixing board. I'm wondering if the APC20 can be used in any convenient manner (without scripts, modding, hacking and other shenanigans) to control Reason's SSL mixer?

If not, what is the best midi controller for this purpose under €200/$260. I am mainly looking to be able to control mixer faders, and all those other knobs (EQ, dynamix, send etc)

I have my eye on the Novation Remote Zero SL mkII and while it is a bit out of my price range I think I could be able to get it, however I have grown very VERY annoyed and frustrated with automap (I also own an Novation Nocturn which I'm selling next week - good fucking riddance). So I would ideally like to avoid automap for ever and ever until I draw my last breath.

Spectrephonic 2012-03-13 13:44

If you have an Ipad then you could look into ReTouch.. But I asume you'd like to use hardware knobs and faders, no?

zgomot 2012-03-13 13:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrephonic (Post 1013900)
If you have an Ipad

I don't. And I'm not gonna get one. Ever.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrephonic (Post 1013900)
But I asume you'd like to use hardware knobs and faders, no?

True.

Spectrephonic 2012-03-13 14:18

Oh boy a hater ;)

joeyluck 2012-03-13 15:16

The BCF2000 works great with the mixer.

twangydave 2012-03-13 15:24

Most of the affordable stuff seems to get shocking reviews if my research is anything to go by. As a result, I'm going for the budget option, M-Audio Oxygen 49 Gen 3 which has plenty of keys and buttons and costs about £90 in the UK - it doesn't seem any worse than the £300 stuff. If it's rubbish, I'll use it to serve canapes on, I'll spend what I save on a nice mouse!

zgomot 2012-03-13 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeyluck (Post 1013961)
The BCF2000 works great with the mixer.

I've wanted that piece of gear for years... maybe it's time I finally get it. How easy is it to get it all set up? How does it work in a real-life situation when you have more than 8 mixer tracks?

madson07 2012-05-12 02:17

try the mackie control universal pro

inakito 2012-11-06 02:07

Automap rocks on version 4.4 and Reaon 5 at least using Novation Nocturn, dont really unertand why you selling it... otherwise I found UC33e simply brilliant to work with it too!