Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Change Kongs parametric EQ to display frequency. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=158443)

Puzzlefactory 2012-04-24 17:26

Change Kongs parametric EQ to display frequency.

I know this has probably been bought up before but it baffles me that the "Frequency" dial goes from 0-127. What on earth does that mean in terms of frequency? Other filters and EQs in Reason display the frequency in Hz why not the Kong EQ? At the moment I'm basically just guessing where the frequency is.

I'm sure this must be a fairly simple thing to change, so please do. :)

philipw7 2012-04-24 21:41

+1. Beats me as well..

nlduhon 2012-04-25 01:13

Since it does not work that way, use your ears... To remove an annoying frequency from a sound, try boosting to the max, make the Q sharp, then sweep the freq range, when you find that annoying resonant freq, duck it.

Good luck.

LastAlternative 2012-04-25 09:07

I agree. It really leaves you hanging. I use my ears but it's nice to know what frequency you're on so you can do an opposite cut/boost the same frequency on another instrument to make room in that area. Not sure what they were thinking.

Puzzlefactory 2012-04-25 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlduhon (Post 1043031)
Since it does not work that way, use your ears... To remove an annoying frequency from a sound, try boosting to the max, make the Q sharp, then sweep the freq range, when you find that annoying resonant freq, duck it.

Good luck.

Yeah this is what i've been doing and it's been reminding me of when i was using analogue desks back in university. But Reason isn't an analogue desk and could very easily display the frequencies (as it does with other EQs and filters), so would like props to change it. ;)

selig 2012-04-25 18:47

Even if they put the frequency names on the knobs, that doesn't mean that you can use that information to more accurately set other EQs. Looking at spectrum graphs of the existing EQs shows that the numbers only go so far. So in a way, using your ears is still best because if you just take the numbers as gospel, you'll likely not be where it sounds best IMO (and at the least, you may not be where you think you are).

Here's a comparison of the filters/eqs that DO have 'proper' numbers on them, showing the variations above and below what's listed on the knob:
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/...at102209AM.png

This shows the Pulveriser and Thor's State Variable filter (set to band pass) both reading around 13-14 kHz when set to 9.77 and 9.56 kHz respectively, and the SSL and MClass EQ both reading slightly below 10 kHz when set to 10.2 and 10.1 kHz respectively. So I guess this means to not always trust the numbers, but DO trust your ears!

That being said, I can't imagine why they didn't use frequency numbers. :-)

Puzzlefactory 2012-04-26 00:08

That's informative and disheartening at the same time. It makes me think how accurate other EQs and filters from other developers and DAWs are?

selig 2012-04-26 06:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzlefactory (Post 1043486)
That's informative and disheartening at the same time. It makes me think how accurate other EQs and filters from other developers and DAWs are?

And at the other end of the spectrum, it makes me realize just how accurate all digital filters/eqs actually are compared to their analog counterpoints, who's frequency knobs never lined up and where two channels in a console often sounded slightly different when compared to each other.

For every technological advance, the good comes with some bad and vice versa. ;-)

Puzzlefactory 2013-06-22 13:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzlefactory (Post 1042793)
I know this has probably been bought up before but it baffles me that the "Frequency" dial goes from 0-127. What on earth does that mean in terms of frequency? Other filters and EQs in Reason display the frequency in Hz why not the Kong EQ? At the moment I'm basically just guessing where the frequency is.

I'm sure this must be a fairly simple thing to change, so please do. :)

I still think this is a good idea too...

selig 2013-06-22 16:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puzzlefactory (Post 1343440)
I still think this is a good idea too...

+1 - this is a great I idea and I have no idea why this was done this way in the first place!

While I still 100% agree with you, the new Spectrum Analyzer really helps with this sort of thing IMO. I don't tend to need to dial up a specific frequency unless I'm doing advanced sound design - and to do that I need a spectrum analyzer to find the frequency I'm going to try to match. In those cases, you can clearly see what frequency you're boosting even if there were no numbers at all on the frequency knob. And like I previously posted, even dialing up a specific frequency doesn't always give specific results, so having a visual conformation is great!

So while I see no reason why they would have left off the frequency display, I also have not had it be a problem - especially now that there's a spectrum analyzer in Reason. And I mention these things because the more time that goes by, the more likely this won't change - so it's good to know some workarounds! :-)