Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Any suggestions for album cover design? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=159704)

ryanmals 2012-05-20 20:38

OT: Any suggestions for album cover design?

Rather than use the stock "discmakers"-type preset designs, I'd like to get my own unique mixtape cover and design.... Possible a logo as well, for SoundCloud etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't know if there's a website to find artists for this, or whether I should spend the time searching for someone local. Definitely want to pick a cover photo myself though.

Havent thought too much about style yet, but I really dig that old Blue Note record theme... (example: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg). Seriously, Google "blue note album covers"... There's some absolute masterpieces if you havent checked it out-- not to mention the music!)

papercrane 2012-05-20 20:53

what I did in the past (about 2 or 3 years ago now...) was contact artists with graphic design (album art, artist logo, etc...) that I liked. I'd just ask them where they got their artwork done and contact the individual in question.

my brother does graphic design now and we have the same sensibilities when it comes to style so I just go to him for everything now...

reasoner498 2012-05-20 21:24

Ryan, sent you a pm...

platzangst 2012-05-20 22:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanmals (Post 1054986)
Havent thought too much about style yet, but I really dig that old Blue Note record theme... (example: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg). Seriously, Google "blue note album covers"... There's some absolute masterpieces if you havent checked it out-- not to mention the music!)

Heh, though, point of fact the old Brubeck albums were on the Columbia label, not Blue Note. But Columbia's jazz department did also do quite a bit towards making the covers works of art as well as the music inside. "Mingus Ah Um" by Charles Mingus was another similar album, design wise, also on Columbia.

Many a time grazing through thrift shops and second hand stores I'll nab some vinyl LP for no other reason than a strong cover design.

ryanmals 2012-05-21 01:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by platzangst (Post 1055027)
Heh, though, point of fact the old Brubeck albums were on the Columbia label, not Blue Note. But Columbia's jazz department did also do quite a bit towards making the covers works of art as well as the music inside. "Mingus Ah Um" by Charles Mingus was another similar album, design wise, also on Columbia.

Many a time grazing through thrift shops and second hand stores I'll nab some vinyl LP for no other reason than a strong cover design.

Ahh good catch. I've loved that album for too many years to make that kind of brain fart. Love the Mingus album cover too, and the music; used to have Bird Calls as my iTunes wake-up alarm, such a good start to the day. :) Oh, and I think one of those labels, if not both, has released books with only their cover art.

charlycharlzz 2012-05-21 01:06

well you can get a pro that would do the job in 2 days for 200 up to 400 euros or get a good local design studiant for 150 box that will take a little more time or you can get some free stuff like (photofiltre studio) or photoshop demo and try your personnal design art skillz! http://www.paranoland.com/emoticones...ys/alien/8.gif

platzangst 2012-05-21 01:27

There are online places where graphic artists congregate; probably the most well-known one is deviantArt. But there's a wide variety of art styles, and no commission structure to speak of - so first you have to find someone working in that Blue Note-style of graphic design (as opposed to the people drawing epic dragon fantasies and the like), then you have to find out if they even accept commissions, and then negotiate terms - if they even pay attention to their account and answer messages.

If you're lucky, you may get hooked up here - reasoner498's sent you a PM, and some of us on this board also deal in graphics. Otherwise, charlycharlzz may have a point, especially if you're looking for cheap or free art services. It may be worth it in the long run to get a decent graphics program yourself and give it a go. Although I might suggest something less "Photoshop" and more "Illustrator", for the type of work you seem to like. (I prefer CorelDraw, myself.)

ryanmals 2012-05-21 23:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by platzangst (Post 1055072)
There are online places where graphic artists congregate; probably the most well-known one is deviantArt. But there's a wide variety of art styles, and no commission structure to speak of - so first you have to find someone working in that Blue Note-style of graphic design (as opposed to the people drawing epic dragon fantasies and the like), then you have to find out if they even accept commissions, and then negotiate terms - if they even pay attention to their account and answer messages.

If you're lucky, you may get hooked up here - reasoner498's sent you a PM, and some of us on this board also deal in graphics. Otherwise, charlycharlzz may have a point, especially if you're looking for cheap or free art services. It may be worth it in the long run to get a decent graphics program yourself and give it a go. Although I might suggest something less "Photoshop" and more "Illustrator", for the type of work you seem to like. (I prefer CorelDraw, myself.)

Platz- thanks for the advice. Wow, it's funny how much you can make a creative field "businessy"--same for music. As a matter of fact I learned Photoshop and Illustrator back in the day, but moreso for publishing stuff; totally not capable as a visual artist. Heard about Corel Draw, haven't used it though...

Will have to check out Deviantart and CL. Looking forward to checking out reasoner498's stuff too!

platzangst 2012-05-22 08:26

As long as we're chatting about it: You might also explore Constructivism, the (mostly Russian I think) art style, particularly the poster and book graphics by folks like Alexsander Rodchenko. Heavy stylization, though less jazzy "cool" than Blue Note covers.

In a slightly different direction, check out also the Ghost Box label and their album cover graphics, which veer off into homages to old schoolroom/library album covers, of the sort you might have seen bundled with filmstrips in the '70s, or languishing on the school library shelves. (Their music is much like the soundtracks to such filmstrips, too - slightly detuned early-style synths with (possibly unintentionally) eerie overtones...)

Can you give a more detailed description of what exactly you're making? Is this just an image to post on the 'net, or are you actually thinking about printing up some sort of physical disc covers? That's another thing to consider when approaching artists. Some might enjoy an interesting design challenge, but often, unless they're a pal of some sort, they'll want a reason to be doing the work - if not money, then some kind of meaningful exposure, you get the idea.