Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rack Extensions and 6.5 (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=159923)

TokyoNegative 2012-05-24 18:35

Rack Extensions and 6.5

SO any news on when 6.5 is due for release or how much longer Beta testing will take? Will rack extensions allow 3rd party companies to design full synth or will there be a template of instrument shapes that developers can customise?

Will only companies be able to design extensions or, like sound designers, will the humble bedroom engineer be able to launch them / customise them too?

Is anyone else as excited as I am about the possibility of a new wealth of sound tools to push the Reason family further on down the road?

I think that once this comes out Reason are firmly making a statement about their intention to never work with VST and also that budding producers shouldn't need to be sucked into the expensive world of software add ons for DAW etc - I just hope that , having said that, the prices for them are kept to a decent level and we aren't then asked to pay over the odds for them, I'm guessing kind of like refill prices.

Does anyone have an idea of this from potential rate card PH marketing?

penguinoid 2012-05-24 18:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by TokyoNegative (Post 1057052)
and also that budding producers shouldn't need to be sucked into the expensive world of software add ons for DAW etc -

They are making a statement that producers shouldn't need to be sucked into the world of expensive software add-ons by creating a protocol for software add-ons?

As per the release date, I imagine that when we know, you will, because it will be accompanied by a hard-to-miss release date announcement on this site. If the beta-testers DO know, they probably won't talk about it on here, as it probably pertains to their non-disclosure agreement.

emotica 2012-05-24 19:01

37 days until Q2 is over, so that should be the latest for 6.5 to be released.

Creating REs takes knowledge of DSP coding and C/C+. You will get your hands on the finished RE but not on the code so customization for normal users is very unlikely.

There are some rule sets for creating REs, but the rest is fully up to the developer, as we can expect some transfers from the plug-in world like u-he's Uhbik series or Rob Papen's Predator.

I'm semi-excited for now. Around 2 years ago I left Reason for another software and got lost in buying / selling stuff aka G.A.S. I benefit from the way Reason needs you to think about what you want to do, than dive into it and do it with the tools available to you. Though, we got the rack which is unique and makes a lot of things much easier than having to open and close dozens of single windows all the time. I definetly will demo some and I owned Predator as a VST already, so I will wait for the price tags and how things will be, since I experienced how easy you can get lost in exploring and testing new goodies instead of making music. Some people are able to handle a lot of different tools, but I don't, so I really gotta be careful about not buying too much, but still have my eyes open for real improvements.

TokyoNegative 2012-05-25 10:44

hahaha all valid points yes PH do have Recycle and releasing this does mean they're adding to their ability to increase revenue from third party extensions! :)

I was merely suggesting that it is a definite statement that they will not be using VST at all, Steinberg exclusively licence this out and PH / Cubase although they co-developed Recycle to work with Cubase way back when and then ReWire to be the perfect companion, since Record PH have kind of made a statement that they're going down the easier to use rack studio on your computer rather than traditional looking DAW scenario.

You can get lost for hours flicking between VST opening, closing, fiddling etc and every time you add a new one that cash register 'kerching' sound is audible in back ground of every track!!

I do hope the bar for pricing is set low enough for Reason users to take full advantage of it

spaceling 2012-05-25 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by mwalker (Post 1057072)
nothing like RECYCLE!!!

Not sure if it's feasible or would work well within a RE, but I'd like to see a ChopShop sort of extension that will allow you to not have to use Recycle for chopping. This is more of a tool than an instrument.

Plainfaced 2012-05-26 02:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecastanedo (Post 1057748)
Not sure if it's feasible or would work well within a RE, but I'd like to see a ChopShop sort of extension that will allow you to not have to use Recycle for chopping. This is more of a tool than an instrument.

I would love to see this integration into reason. I'm sure PH have the smarts to do this. Imagine a Redrum/Kong style interface where you can quickly import and edit clips, then simply have it chop the sample across 16 pads.

I haven't used Reason since version 3. Nor have I used Recycle since its first release. Excited about where Reason is heading.. I'm just not sure why they are hanging onto a product that's like 10 years old now and still has the same functionality as a 10 year old app.. Recycle..

charlycharlzz 2012-05-26 04:27

I whant that pulsar so I'm waiting on reason 6.5 but for them RE I would pay betwen 10 and 35 for a single fx or synth
and grand max 50box for a super one unless they do combo packs for a super low cost!

I am not very happy about them RE only on E-buy and for the moment I do not feel like doing themn 80 miles to town to find a connection on my tower pc .
I really wish I could just buy it on my laptop and then move them myself into my tower pc like normal things because there is that key for pirracy control so no justification and no progress , progress is when you have the choice!

TokyoNegative 2012-05-29 16:13

I'm sure more details about the choices available will start to be posted over the next three weeks, to build us up to it's release late June.