Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Advice on studio gear (recording interface & monitors) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=160152)

koma7 2012-05-29 03:07

Advice on studio gear (recording interface & monitors)

Hi all, I just wanted get peoples views on this, i'm upgrading my studio soon and I want to get a good recording interface, and some studio monitors.

Firstly I have NO STUDIO monitors. (terrible I know). The studio monitors I was first looking at were the overated (imo) KRK monitors which I have tried out, and to be honest i'm not too impressed with them, and thinking more of getting a pair of Alesis M1 monitors which my friend who used to produce with has had experience with and likes the sound from them.

http://www.studiospares.com/studio-m...y%2BkzpQ%3D%3D

Now for recording interfaces, I have a 2x2 mackie onyx blackjack recording interface, which to be honest has caused me so many headaches (and thats before i've even managed to record anything with it). Although I do not doubt it's power and greatness, just my crappy laptop. But i'm soon upgrading with 3 new audio built PC's for my studio i'm getting soon, which I will be using for recording, composing and mixing. So the recording interface i'm looking at getting is the mackie onyx blackbird, which is like the blackjack, except is a 16x16 firewire recording interface: http://www.mackie.com/products/onyxblackbird/

One of the reasons I want this is because I have a 12 channel analogue mixing desk, and I would like to hook the blackbird upto this mixing desk for recording and mixing.

So does anybody have any experience with these mentioned items? And any recommendations for any other monitors and audio interfaces. To be honest i'm not looking to spend much on monitors, £200 tops. And for a recording interface i'm willing to spend more, upto £400 for a good quality one, typically with atleast 8 outputs.

Thanks!

koma7 2012-05-29 04:35

Just a slight change, i'm deciding to scrap my plans of getting a blackbird, mainly because I just dont want to risk it, I dont hear many good things about support with mackie products and my own personal experience has been somewhat complicated, so i'm now deciding to go with a focusrite saffire pro 40. Mainly because I can get the outputs I need for what I plan on doing with this device, rather than the mackie blackbird which I can't.

GregHPSon 2012-05-29 23:53

Check out some M-audio BX8a monitor's! I picked some of the older 2nd generation ones for $299 US & they sound great. I use an apogee duet interface on my Mac so I can't really help you there.

3rdFloorSound 2012-05-30 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovietdoll (Post 1059009)
so i'm now deciding to go with a focusrite saffire pro 40. Mainly because I can get the outputs I need for what I plan on doing with this device, rather than the mackie blackbird which I can't.

You'll like the MixControl software it comes with, especially the loopback function which works a lot like Jack or Soundflower but takes less setting up.

edencane 2012-05-30 04:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by sovietdoll (Post 1059009)
Just a slight change, i'm deciding to scrap my plans of getting a blackbird, mainly because I just dont want to risk it, I dont hear many good things about support with mackie products and my own personal experience has been somewhat complicated, so i'm now deciding to go with a focusrite saffire pro 40. Mainly because I can get the outputs I need for what I plan on doing with this device, rather than the mackie blackbird which I can't.

Excellent choice!
Ive worked with many interfaces and the pro 40 sticks out.
Firewire really is less glitchy than usb 2.0...
M-audio make really good usb interfaces and Ive successfully used their fast track ultra a lot.
The pro 40 has lots of channels through firewire and 8 physical in / out ... in addition to s/pdif (another 2 channels) and adat another 8 at least if you need them...

Why have you got 3 PCs?

My reason is this: (-:
I currently have win7 with cubase 6.5 and presonus 16.4.2 my current workhorse, winXP with cubase 5 and fast track ultra for legacy songs, and imac with protools10 and pro40 for mastering...

JohnnyUhrig 2013-03-21 21:26

Did you ever get the Mackie Onyx Blackbird FireWire Recording Interface? Does it work ok w Propellerhead Record ? My ProFire 2626 took a dump Im thinking bout getting this to replace it ???

jgenshino 2013-03-21 21:48

+1 to any focusrite interface that supports Loopback. I have a 8i6 and i can run Max into Reason without having to download any extra software and it's OS agnostic.

jzquantum 2013-03-23 04:21

I'm digging the Focusrite 2i2 I just got. Nice sound, and a nice metal case. I have the latency setting at its lowest and no popping.

BiggKnock 2013-03-23 17:43

I had Alesis M1 Mk2 monitors before, and I was very happy with them. Very good bang for your buck.
When I was shopping for new monitors, I went to the store with intention to get KRK VXT6s, but after spending about 2 hours listening to a bunch of them, walked out with Dynaudio Bm5a ones. Amazing sound, both in low end and mids.

Honestly, you should think about spending more for monitors, you're not going to get much for 200.