Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Trouble recording with Balance (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=160586)

gwallace93 2012-06-04 23:27

Trouble recording with Balance

Hey all, I recently got the balance/essentials combo, and when I got it, I plugged in my guitar right away to see what it's like. I found that there was a rhythmic popping, like a bad cord or bad connection. I read the forums, and tried re-installing the balance drivers, which did not work. I also got a usb pci card as well, and that cuts down a LOT on the popping, but it is still there. I do not think I would have a latency issue, because one, I turned down the buffer size, and two, I max out at 25% CPU usage. Is there anything I am missing? Or should know? I would love any help I can get! Thanks!

n0ahg 2012-06-04 23:30

See http://www.propellerheads.se/support...le=balance_faq under "I'm getting audio dropouts and/or stutter when using Balance with my PC"

unleashed 2012-06-04 23:59

I just got it and I have a problem too.
My guitars pickups are too hot for the balance preamp. Even at lowest entry level and pad button in, it clips when I strike the strings harder.
The props acknowledged that I'm not the only one, so I'll have to send it back.
It's disappointing because it looks good and sounds good, but they are not yet there.
I'm just saying because I read other people wanted opinions about Balance!
Cheers

charlycharlzz 2012-06-05 00:30

look I think this personne was posting about it ! https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?p=991507

gwallace93 2012-06-05 01:32

Thank you to those who have already responded.

I looked at the support link and downloaded the latency checker, and no surprise, I am getting peaks like we shouldn't be getting. However, I have no clue what causes it, and I disabled all of the suggested items with no luck. Any guidance with this?

charlycharlzz 2012-06-05 01:47

well if the latency iz low did you put the sample rate up? I have seen they was saying that but got too but I got no clues in guitar stuff sorry !

Arsenic 2012-06-05 10:10

Balance Problems

If you could provide more specifications of your system, it may help.
As you have probably read elsewhere, there are some issues with AMD USB controllers. My personal issues were with the SB700 chipset, but this may not be the only series affected
You said that you have bought a PCI USB card - Just to check, it is USB 2, not USB3.

Make sure that all USB devices are plugged into the PCI card, and not into the systems on-board USB connectors.

In device manager, disable the on-board USB controller completely - this is not always necessary, but It can cause problems even when nothing is plugged into it, as the system is still recognising it as a device, and allocates resources to it.

Get the latency checker running. If you have a nice low level repose, good. If not, then in device manager, under Network controllers, disable any wifi controllers, and wait for the levels to settle. If you still have spikes, try disabling any Ethernet /Bluetooth or other network controllers. These seem to be the worst offenders.

Obviously, if you want to use the network occasionally, such as for downloading REs when they arrive, you can enable the network controller of your choice, and disable it after download/authorisation etc.

gwallace93 2012-06-06 00:14

In response to Arsenic. My computer specs are AMD quad core 3.6 ghtz, 8 gig ram, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P MoBo, and the PCI card is a usb 2.0

I plugged everything into the pci card, and disabled all of the usb devices. That didnt work, and now I am a dumbass because I disabled my mouse and keyboard...more problems to work out....smh

Anyways, before my stupidity took over, I also disabled the LAN and WIFI, with neither doing anything productive.

Arsenic 2012-06-06 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwallace93 (Post 1063800)
In response to Arsenic. My computer specs are AMD quad core 3.6 ghtz, 8 gig ram, Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P MoBo, and the PCI card is a usb 2.0

I plugged everything into the pci card, and disabled all of the usb devices. That didnt work, and now I am a dumbass because I disabled my mouse and keyboard...more problems to work out....smh

Anyways, before my stupidity took over, I also disabled the LAN and WIFI, with neither doing anything productive.

Right - Your Motherboard uses one of the chipsets that seem to have an issue with Balance - The SB710, one of the SB700 Series.
Every other case I have heard of has been fixed with the USB2 PCI card -Balance does not play well with USB1, and USB3 isn't supported.

As you have installed a USB2 PCI card, and disabled the usual suspects, I would make sure that you open a support ticket with Props, unless you already have done....I will look further into the specs of the MB in case that offers any further clues....I'm at work at the moment, so if I think of anything else by the time I get home, I will post tonight.

Arsenic 2012-06-06 20:48

I had a think about this on the way home.
There are couple of other things you could try.

1. have you tried disabling any other soundcard - on-board or fitted in a PCI/PCIE slot.
An onboard sound card can usually be disabled in the BIOS.
PCI/PCIE cards can be disabled in Device Manager, of physically removed.
Either of these could be causing the issue by passing audio requests to the system, which may be prioritising them over the Balance audio.

Obviously, if you disable these, you will end up with Balance being the only audio device available for generic daya to day sound tasks (windows/youtube etc)

2. Run MSConfig from the "Run" command (XP) or the Search box on the Start Menu (Vista/Win7). Select the "Startup" tab, and then remove the ticks from as many of the entries as you feel you can get away with - theoretically, you can remove them all, but check to make sure that anything that may cause the system to be unusable is left ticked (some laptops have the touchpad driver start this way).

I only mention this, because when I had the same problem, I noticed that some of the audio drivers for my disable on-board soundcard were still being loaded - these may not specifically help towards solving the immediate problem, but will help the system to run a little more smoothly, and with less stuff running, there are less calls on the processor, allowing it to deal with more important things - such as the input/output for balance.

3.Antivirus programs - I don't run one on my music PC, but, once or twice, I have come across video playback stalling due the antivirus program kicking in, the main culprits in these cases being Norton and McAfee....just a thought.

As I said if you haven't already opened a support ticket, I would do so - Props may have other suggestions-----Good luck.

EDIT: Just to add - I have noticed that there seems to be some latency issues being reported with some VIA USB chipsets (not specifically with Balance), often used on PCI/PCIE cards - there is a patch available for for this, though I have no idea how bad the problems were, or how well the fix works, So it might be worth checking if your USB card has the via chipset (To be honest, I bought a Belkin because it was around £10 and apparently it has the Opti chipset.

Also this article may be useful http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct0...ician_1006.htm