Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   3 simple features that will enhance the Reason workflow (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=160844)

oberon101014un 2012-06-09 00:16

3 simple features that will enhance the Reason workflow

Greetings Readers and Propellerhead Personnel

I am an extremely devoted user of Propellerhead products and services for many years now. And while I have yet to produce a single profit generating project, the products I have purchased over the years have more than yeilded a high return on my modest investment in the way of fun, ease of use and the unlocking of creative potential that no other software has ever provided me.

I've had only a few issues of concern over the features (and lack of) of Reason over the years and the vast majority of these have been addressed in the way of upgrades (in-line and new releases). Most were common user issues (no audio recording/editing; no real sampling/editing process; pitch shifting; etc.) and they have since been implimented in very elegant form.

Now, with the advent of the Rack Extension addition, the Reason product has the unlimited potential to address an even wider spectrum of user needs and that responsibility can now be shared with those outside of the Propellerhead family which will diversify the method in which Reason empowers music makers (and lovers) to create the music they hear in their heads. Which leads me to my suggestions:

Before the 3rd party manufacturer presence begins to augment the way Reason handles its duties, there are still a few issues that the Propellerhead internal braintrust should address to maintain Reason's relevant usability. These are 'simple' concerns that should be standard operations in the way of producing music effectively.

1. Zero-crossing detection (audio)
Reason should, at the very least, contain a function for finding the zero-crossing (not just "transients") of audio waveforms in both the sequencer and sample editor. It goes without saying, but clicks and pops are unwelcome additions that can be easily eliminated with this feature. I spend a great deal of my editing time zooming and micro-nudging start and end points (blindly, because there is no visual representation of the audio waveform 'cross-point' in the edit view of sequencer) just to eliminate the clicks and pops when a freeware program such as Soundforge Audacity finds the points automatically.

2. Audio Spectrum Analyzer
Reason sounds great, and the devices used to augment and enhance audio are very user-friendly and effective. But a visual representation of the audio activity is needed to aid in the detection of frequency balance requirements. I use a 3rd party Real-time Analyzer on a seperate computer, but it's an unnecessary and less accurate step because the analysis is being made based on the output (and processing) of the computer and not Reason's pure audio activity. I've found a few 'homebrew' RTA Combinators utilizing the BV512 Digital Vocoder and some creative audio/cv routing, but these are very thin in true activity representation. But they prove that this feature is possible.

3. MP3 audio conversion
Naturally this fits within the mantra of uninterrupted workflow that Propellerhead has at the core of Reason. It is (again) a needless chore to close out of Reason to make the soundcard available (when using ASIO, which is almost mandatory) and open a music application to audition MP3 files THEN convert them into WAV files before they can be used in Reason. There should be an MP3 file audition element and automatic conversion when the file is selected from the Import Audio browser.

These are just a few things in the vast seas of consumer 'wishes' that I feel will cater to the strengths of the Reason concept. Uninterrupted, inspiring and logical workflow are the hallmarks of this program. If these elements are incorporated, they will enhance the way Reason allows users to execute their music making process.

Thank all who view this for their attention and thank you Propellerhead for your consideration in these points of interest.

jlgrimes 2012-06-09 03:14

Agree on all three.

Upright 2012-06-10 06:23

I agree with all 3 as well. Rest assured, number 2 is on it's way..it's just a matter of time.

aceha1 2012-06-24 10:53

Heartily co-signed!

avasopht 2012-06-24 12:06

Regarding #3, I've never had to close Reason when auditioning files. I use ASIO (real ASIO not ASIO4All), and convert with iTunes or Adobe Media Encoder.

But yes, they would still streamline workflow and I would gladly welcome mp3 export.

ryszard 2012-06-24 13:21

+1 on all three suggestions.

MsKeng 2012-06-24 19:32

+1 to all 3

BeatmakerEI 2012-06-25 17:35

Ah yes. Sounds like some great feature requests. I'm in!

kayfinesse 2012-06-25 19:19

I'm in too.

devilfish 2012-06-27 12:42

+1 to all 3 !!! :)