Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   When bouncing tracks, give option to auto-carry source channel send effect settings (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=162375)

diablo75 2012-06-22 09:00

When bouncing tracks, give option to auto-carry source channel send effect settings

I've run into an issue where I'm working on a song that's made up of tracks that combine stuff I've created with tracks other people have sent me. Some of these tracks from both parties share the same send effects, say a reverb for instance. Problem is that if I want to bounce synth tracks to audio tracks to conserve DSP usage (by deleting the source track after it's been bounced), I can't have the newly bounced track continue to send itself through the send effect the source track was previously using. I can either:

A: Bounce the SendFX channel as well, which would include the wet source tracks that I'm not bouncing and double-up their reverb, etc. effects

B: Manually enable the send effects on the bounced tracks, which can be tedious when you're bouncing some 10 or more tracks at a time.

Right now there is an option to mute the original track after it's been bounced, the effect of which causes the dry bounced track to play back without the send effects that the source track was using enabled on the bounce. I'd like to see one more check box added that would allow me to a simple way to bounce midi tracks to audio tracks and carry over their send effect settings (which sends are used per channel, the levels sent, etc.)

selig 2012-06-22 16:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo75 (Post 1080638)
I've run into an issue where I'm working on a song that's made up of tracks that combine stuff I've created with tracks other people have sent me. Some of these tracks from both parties share the same send effects, say a reverb for instance. Problem is that if I want to bounce synth tracks to audio tracks to conserve DSP usage (by deleting the source track after it's been bounced), I can't have the newly bounced track continue to send itself through the send effect the source track was previously using. I can either:

A: Bounce the SendFX channel as well, which would include the wet source tracks that I'm not bouncing and double-up their reverb, etc. effects

B: Manually enable the send effects on the bounced tracks, which can be tedious when you're bouncing some 10 or more tracks at a time.

Right now there is an option to mute the original track after it's been bounced, the effect of which causes the dry bounced track to play back without the send effects that the source track was using enabled on the bounce. I'd like to see one more check box added that would allow me to a simple way to bounce midi tracks to audio tracks and carry over their send effect settings (which sends are used per channel, the levels sent, etc.)

Wait, why not just bounce the track to audio (with no SSL settings: EQ, Dynamics, fader etc), which gives you exactly the same "audio source" feeding the mixer as before, then just copy the track settings from the instrument track to the audio track? All sends, EQ, Dynamics, and automation will be copied and you'll have exactly the same sound as before?

This is the way I like to work, as the SSL mixer sees Instruments and audio as exactly the same thing from an input perspective. So you only change the stuff BEFORE the mixer (audio track vs Instruments), and use the same SSL settings as before. Keeps things simple in my mind to do things this way. Or did I miss something? :-)

diablo75 2012-06-22 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by selig (Post 1080918)
Wait, why not just bounce the track to audio (with no SSL settings: EQ, Dynamics, fader etc), which gives you exactly the same "audio source" feeding the mixer as before, then just copy the track settings from the instrument track to the audio track? All sends, EQ, Dynamics, and automation will be copied and you'll have exactly the same sound as before?

Well, this is what I'd like Reason to do for me, via a simple check box in the bounce dialog that would take care of copying channel settings from the original channel to the bounced one, so I wouldn't have to do that manually. Just a feature suggestion.

Edit: Wanted to add one other tiny request. If you do impliment this feature, offer the ability to not only copy over channel settings like Send FX used, levels of the send knobs, but also copy any automation over too. This really should be something that already happens when you copy channel settings manually, I think. Sometimes I might have a sound that's going to a reverb, for instance, and ramp the reverb up just before the sound stops so the tail is louder.

selig 2012-06-23 01:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo75 (Post 1081207)
Well, this is what I'd like Reason to do for me, via a simple check box in the bounce dialog that would take care of copying channel settings from the original channel to the bounced one, so I wouldn't have to do that manually. Just a feature suggestion.

Edit: Wanted to add one other tiny request. If you do impliment this feature, offer the ability to not only copy over channel settings like Send FX used, levels of the send knobs, but also copy any automation over too. This really should be something that already happens when you copy channel settings manually, I think. Sometimes I might have a sound that's going to a reverb, for instance, and ramp the reverb up just before the sound stops so the tail is louder.

Excellent suggestions, all. :-)

selig 2012-06-29 22:32

Holy crap, I didn't even recognize I made the same suggestion last year…now I feel old. ;-(
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=149497