Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ipad as temporary midi controller? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=162822)

Purpleb 2012-06-28 17:58

ipad as temporary midi controller?

I was wondering if there was a way you can use your ipad as a midi controller keyboard with reason? is there a app? has anyone ever done this before?
Thanks

normen 2012-06-28 18:08

Sure, theres many apps for that. Personally I like "Lemur" the best as it has support for multiple midi outputs and a very very powerful editor.

Purpleb 2012-06-28 18:16

does reason pick up lemur as the controller or you have to manually put it in there, it doesn't matter either way I was just wondering?
It is just blue tooth connected then right?

normen 2012-06-28 18:20

It connects via WiFi or via a midi cable connected via the "Camera Connection Kit" USB port. You have to configure a generic "control surface" in reason.

There is also preconfigured layers for Lemur that fully emulate a "Mackie Control" so if you use that you can select a "Mackie Control" in the MIDI Control settings and assign the correct virtual midi in-outs that the Lemur software provides. Then everything will be auto-mapped according to Reasons Mackie Control support.

You can also create multiple pages in one Lemur preset and assign e.g. a keyboard from one page to one midi output, a mackie control on another page to a second and a x-y controller for synths to a third... its pretty cool :)

SteveDiverse 2012-06-28 18:46

RetouchDUO ( http://www.retouchcontrol.com/site_page.aspx?pageid=41 ) works really well - connects via WiFi - network or ad-hoc mode.

DUO is actually a set of templates for TouchOSC.

TouchOSC has a free template editor that you can use to create your own layouts as well.

You have to setup DUO one time. there's a template layout for each reason device and the ssl mixer. you have to add each device template as a control surface.

The 'Sequencer' template is pretty cool. In addition to transport control and display of measure ana clock, it has controls to change views (rack, mixer, sequencer), flip the rack around, even use edit mode - it maps buttons to keyboard shortcuts.

Purpleb 2012-06-29 21:45

My buddy came over with his ipad and he had the app midi studio on there, where it had 4 different straight foward midi controllers (keyboard, pads, knobs, etc.)

He had the camera connection kit, but Reason was not able to find it. How would you go about setting up so reason can find it????
thanks

normen 2012-06-29 23:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Purpleb (Post 1087415)
He had the camera connection kit, but Reason was not able to find it. How would you go about setting up so reason can find it????
thanks

Check the manual of the app how to connect to the computer, then go to the settings of reason and under "Control Surfaces" add a "generic midi control" or "generic midi keyboard" and select the midi ports its connected to.

Purpleb 2012-06-30 00:14

Im pretty sure I know how to set it up in reason. Its just that it seems like it is not even recognizing it, i checked the manual and they had a way to do it by bluetooth, but my ipad won't recognize my imac.
I thought plugging in that video connection cable would make things a lot easier, guess not

Bonkhead 2012-06-30 00:22

I use a tascam iU2, which has midi outs, connected to my midi in of my pc interface.

Works always.

Purpleb 2012-06-30 00:58

I don't have midi inputs, I am using a apogee duet.

I tried this to see if it works:

I hooked up the ipad
to the video connector
to a usb to midi cable
to a hardware synth

and it controls the hardware synth fine, but that is not what I am wanting to do :)

I am wanting to use the ipad as a midi controller for reason.

So this is how i am doing it:
I hooked up the ipad
to the video connector
to usb to usb cable
to my comp

It is not picking up, reason is not recognizing it at all.
I was thinking that the video connector cable was going to treat the ipad somewhat like a usb midi controller, from what I was reading online, maybe I am wrong? or is there a way to set it up like that, without dropping a ton of cash?
thanks