Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Classic Reggae cover-tune from RasCricket (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=163738)

RasCricket 2012-07-12 10:12

Classic Reggae cover-tune from RasCricket

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZFNN...ature=youtu.be

BOOMSHOT!! This is my cover version of Horace Andy's "Tell me Why" = a legendary singer and a great song, I was bored today and thought Id bang out a tune. All tracks, mix and master in about 6 hours. Made the video too.

Mostly an exercise in my methods and workflow, it was fun to re-do an old favorite.

I know there's not many Reggae fans here, but maybe you guys will appreciate it.

This was completed from start to finish in just under 6 hours.

(Bed tracks like drum, bass, rhodes, and piano done in Reason. Re-built and minimally remixed in Reaper with some VB3 organ VSTi added, as well as duping the MIDI data from my drums in Reason and triggering Addictive drums in Reaper - However, I think most of the drums you hear are from Reason - guitar and live bass were also added via Reaper. Vocals were tracked in Reaper as well)

Lunesis 2012-07-12 12:03

Sounds real smooth, bass sounds nice and present. The drums sound just right too, it's the swing on the hats I think. I also enjoy that panned rhodes/organ thing you got going on, so airy and rhythmic. Nice work!

RasCricket 2012-07-12 12:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by digteamone (Post 1096217)
Sounds real smooth, bass sounds nice and present. The drums sound just right too, it's the swing on the hats I think. I also enjoy that panned rhodes/organ thing you got going on, so airy and rhythmic. Nice work!

Sweet man! Thanks for the words because it was done really fast. I had to be out of the house at a certain time so I got it all done before that. Its nice you like the panning because just a minute of attention was paid to place things. Not much though. Nice to know the bass is coming across well. Im pretty sure thats a mix of totally dry bass guitar (live), a slight synth bass doing the same line, and a bass from Reason.

Actually...my favorite reggae bass patch is RnB Bass in the FSB. Pretty sure thats what this is again. 'Lil secret an tip for whoever enjoys it.

Thanks again - old favorite song of mine, was fun to re-do. :D

JockDynamite 2012-07-12 22:48

Classic! How long did it take to do?

RasCricket 2012-07-13 01:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by theauteurist (Post 1096585)
Classic! How long did it take to do?

I did it all start to finish in under 6 hours :D

Thanks for checking it out, man :)

Steedus 2012-07-13 13:57

Nice one! I never really liked his vocal style that much, but he's good none the less.

JpPropellaed 2012-07-13 14:45

Nice work RasC' Lovely & Phatt, loved the swriley leslie sound ! i can,t say i know of the track / Tell me why , after listening to this track i flipped on one of your other video's / Making Back ups ' what you did with that vocal using Neptune was utterly brilliant ' it sounded amazing ; as it happens i am writting a Reggie track myself , ive never tried or attempted a reggie tune before ' but i am a little stuck on how to build it up , i have worked out a really nice chord Guitar sequence A Minor..... G..... F....... Eminor....G..... i havent recorded any guitar in the tune as yet ! would you be open to give me some tips & taking a look at the Reason Tune file ,,, if you are to busy RasC , i will understand / Jamie :)

RasCricket 2012-07-13 21:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by JpPropellaed (Post 1096915)
Nice work RasC' Lovely & Phatt, loved the swriley leslie sound ! i can,t say i know of the track / Tell me why , after listening to this track i flipped on one of your other video's / Making Back ups ' what you did with that vocal using Neptune was utterly brilliant ' it sounded amazing ; as it happens i am writting a Reggie track myself , ive never tried or attempted a reggie tune before ' but i am a little stuck on how to build it up , i have worked out a really nice chord Guitar sequence A Minor..... G..... F....... Eminor....G..... i havent recorded any guitar in the tune as yet ! would you be open to give me some tips & taking a look at the Reason Tune file ,,, if you are to busy RasC , i will understand / Jamie :)

I actually really appreciate you taking a second to let me know that you thought that video was great!

Because Im not trying to be all ego'ey, but yes.....that video does indeed so show creative use of Reason.

You wouldnt believe how many hits the thread got JP, yet barely anyone let me know how good it was.
Very few, in fact. I havent seen other people around here do videos like that. In fact, I heard from someone here "How is this a Neptune demo? It doesnt even show Neptune once!"

In that video, I did NOT need to break it down to the ultra-simple first. Seriously, if you couldnt follow what was going on in that vid, Id recommend to that person they spend a little more time in Reason with an actual song in front of them. Anyone who has dealt with vocals for more than 10 minutes in Reason would have known what was going on.

Here is that video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htCijkpOIhw

Thanks JP - if you really wanna talk about how to do a Reggae tune, I can help ya - Its many simple elements that combine for a much more complex whole. You can PM me the song file and Ill check it out if ya like :)

Pat303 2012-07-13 23:46

This is great! LOVE it :-)

I'm a big reggae fan and this track ticks all the right boxes for me, Ras. Really nice cover of the original and to be honest I'm amazed you did this in 6 hours... good work.

My only constructive comments would be:

1. Work on the mix a little - the bottom end is huge and needs taming a bit. Not much though. And hell, given how quickly you've slung this together it's a minor point!

2. Slacken up the bass ... not much, but it sounds slightly too tight and quantized at the moment. Maybe nudge the bass notes just a tiny bit behind the kicks to make it more 'lazy' sounding.

Anyway, like I said great track! I'd be very happy with this myself.

RasCricket 2012-07-14 04:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat303 (Post 1097326)
This is great! LOVE it :-)

I'm a big reggae fan and this track ticks all the right boxes for me, Ras. Really nice cover of the original and to be honest I'm amazed you did this in 6 hours... good work.

My only constructive comments would be:

1. Work on the mix a little - the bottom end is huge and needs taming a bit. Not much though. And hell, given how quickly you've slung this together it's a minor point!

2. Slacken up the bass ... not much, but it sounds slightly too tight and quantized at the moment. Maybe nudge the bass notes just a tiny bit behind the kicks to make it more 'lazy' sounding.

Anyway, like I said great track! I'd be very happy with this myself.

Bro, youre awesome! No, I dont mind the crititque, I really welcome it. You're 200% correct about the taming that needs done. If its one thing im known to do, is too heavy of a bottom end. Im trying to get better about using a pass to eliminate most of the low end, so im mostly gettin' better there.

For the bass, theres actually 3 tracks that make up the bass. Theres 2 tracks from Reason, RnB bass as mentioned, and a type of synth bass - I really think I got the synth bass to like 10% volume as its a real small part of the bass layer, but it is there. So, to back up what youre noticing, the live bass track might be juuuuuuuuust a lil outta sync with that Reason bass track, and likely the Reason track is the one thats "too" quantized. I like hearing about moving the bass notes juuuust a hair past the kicks to make it, like ya said, tastefully lazy. I can totally work on the things you recommend, but I hope my explanation for what I actually did makes ya pat your self on the back, cuz you called it.

Thanks very much for the comments bro - if theres any others, lay em on me - theres often something to be learned from both sides :D ~ Thank you guys, I appreciate it