Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is the "Reason sound" gone? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=163805)

BoddAH 2012-07-13 08:37

Is the "Reason sound" gone?

Let's suppose something like that ever existed. And some talented engineers could recognize the characteristic and subjectively inferior sound of some of the older (and most CPU friendly ever) Reason devices in a song, is the Reason sound definitely gone with the advent of Rack Extensions?

Let's assume Propellerhead engineers always were so obsessed with stability and CPU efficiency that they cut corners on sound quality on all of their devices, would a song made 100% with third party Rack Extensions be indistinguishable from the same song created with the same devices on another DAW?

Just curious if that "Reason sound" argument people keep throwing around is finally moot.

platzangst 2012-07-13 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoddAH (Post 1096787)
Just curious if that "Reason sound" argument people keep throwing around is finally moot.

It was always moot.

It was always a spectacularly dumb argument.

But if someone has it in their head that there was some kind of identifiable "sound" to the Reason devices, and that such a sound was in some way bad, then obviously the fact that parties other than Propellerhead are now contributing their own DSP code to various Rack Extensions should by sheer logic mean that there is no more guarantee of a "Reason sound" to be had. You can have a partially Korg and Softube sound if you like. Or now, a Mellotron sound with Sugar Bytes. Or whatever.

People who are dead set on dissing Reason will find something else to gripe about, make no mistake.

Mizio 2012-07-13 09:15

In my opinion the old devices still sound terrible. Compare nnxt with ableton sampler, or subtractor with the new polysix, you will notice a huge difference.

I still prefer the audio been produced with ableton live! More dynamic and definition using few internal audio effects!

scifunk 2012-07-13 09:45

Generally, the sound of a DAW is down to the skills of the person using it. However, if you have samples that are 24bit, 96khz and pre-produced then they are going to sound better then a bog standard sound coming out an unaffected softsynth

neonkoala 2012-07-13 10:03

I have never had a problem with the sound of the Reason synths. You did, however, convince me to try out the Korg PolySix Rack Extention... :)

ryszard 2012-07-13 10:05

To summarize (and as has been said above) it comes down to the skill of the operator and the quality of the samples.

Keyboard magazine published an interview with the product manager for Prophet synthesizers. People talked then about how the sounds of certain synths were so readily identifiable. The PM commented that he was astonished at how many synths came back for service with the unmodified factory patches. It was a fully variable synth and anybody could have created their own. Most people, though, seem to wait for individuals like Brian Eno, Suzanne Ciani, and other sound designers to do it for them.

If your synth sounds like it did when it came from the factory, who's to blame? Anybody can complain. Usually it's the lazy and unimaginative who do. The creators are too busy getting things done. In which class do you place yourself?

Benedict 2012-07-13 10:17

If you use the new Pulsar as an OSC then you are in a new (and lovely) place.

:)

particlejunkie 2012-07-13 10:45

Don't mean to toot my own horn but I've consistently gotten "you made that in reason?" comments from folks ever since reason 2.5 when they introduced the vocoder. To this day even I am surprised what you can get out of subtractor+fx alone.

LastAlternative 2012-07-13 10:50

There is a 'Reason sound' if all one does is uses patches without any alteration whatsoever.

madmacman 2012-07-13 10:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by beerski (Post 1096835)
There is a 'Reason sound' if all one does is uses patches without any alteration whatsoever.

Well, "Reason sound" (i.e. using presets) is not a disadvantage ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FkL2n1d-hs