Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Re-Tron Limitations (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=164058)

ethday 2012-07-17 04:25

Re-Tron Limitations

So I can live with the 3 octaves and the 7 second sample length, I get it, that's what was sampled, let it be - but why no sustain pedal? Is this one useful function going to shatter the analog illusion?

Aside from this bit that I find heavily frustrating (I might need a minute), it sounds absolutely amazing.

selig 2012-07-17 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethday (Post 1099114)
So I can live with the 3 octaves and the 7 second sample length, I get it, that's what was sampled, let it be - but why no sustain pedal? Is this one useful function going to shatter the analog illusion?

Aside from this bit that I find heavily frustrating (I might need a minute), it sounds absolutely amazing.

A minute is all it takes - put the Re-Tron in a Combi, assign sustain pedal to Amp Env Release - done. :-)

ethday 2012-07-17 18:24

I was hoping there might be a fix, THANKS!! I'll try it out tonight.

joeyluck 2012-07-18 20:40

I agree. For something where the velocities are fixed and lengths are set, I'm surprised to find inconsistencies in the samples across the board (in velocities as well as lengths)... I had mentioned the playing range as well—The answer is also a combinator. Not sure why "half-speed" can't be applied by default to the octaves below.

dwango 2012-11-15 02:33

Great, thanks!! Answered my question too!!

raymondh 2012-11-15 03:37

I found the limitations frustrating and refreshing at the same time.

In the ReTron competition where I was trying to use close to 100% Re-Tron instruments, it forced me to create an overall sound I wouldn't otherwise choose to do, and the result was quite unique. Forced me out of my comfort zone!

SteveDiverse 2012-11-15 05:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethday (Post 1099114)
why no sustain pedal?

All features (or lack thereof) are true to the original after which Re-Tron was modeled.

ethday 2012-11-15 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDiverse (Post 1178106)
All features (or lack thereof) are true to the original after which Re-Tron was modeled.

I get that, and with Selig's advice it's no longer an issue. I was trying to say that they added all kinds of options that the original never had: LFOs, envelopes, delay - even pitch bend with a midi controller, but they stayed true when it came to no sustain pedal, which seemed like a simple, valuable update. I love it, though.

joeyluck 2012-11-15 08:05

I still am confused why "half-speed" can't be applied to the octaves below to have a larger playing range. I think there's a fine line between making an accurate representation and taking advantage of simple capabilities of software to make something more effective. For me, not having the playing range was big downside.