Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Does iPad supply enough power to use Balance? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=164610)

dtb200 2012-07-26 21:34

Does iPad supply enough power to use Balance?

Hi - has anyone tried using Balance with an iPad? Not sure if enough power will be supplied?

Thanks

hhsoullover 2012-07-26 21:56

I haven't got Balance, but I'm using the iPad with an uca222 from behringer. And even with this relatively small interface i need an usb-hub on the camera connection kit. But using the hub, i can plug in an akai mpk49 too, so that i've got an audio-card and a keyboard connected to the iPad.

drdk 2012-07-26 22:21

Hi,

I plug my ipad straight in to balance and record it into reason - no problems.

DK

n0ahg 2012-07-26 22:31

I take it you want to use the ipad as a usb host?

Dogboy1973 2012-07-27 06:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by n0ahg (Post 1105111)
I take it you want to use the ipad as a usb host?

I took it he/she wanted to use Balance as an interface for iPad. Is that right OP? Anyway, I don't think it would work unless Balance can be powered from mains supply (can it or is I bus powered only?!). Many interfaces do work with iPad. I think the first and foremost requirements are that they can be mains powered and work without the need for drivers to be installed.

dtb200 2012-07-27 11:18

Thanks everyone

Thank you all for your helpful replies. I suspect you are correct that a powered hub would be necessary (although not ALL interfaces work even using a hub). . I currently work solely on the iPad and need a MIDI & audio interface and like Propellerhead ethos & products so thought I would try the Balance. Will take iPad to a shop and ask to try it with a Balance. Thanks again.

Ps the olympics just started here :-) suspect opening ceremony will include some interesting music... #dannyboyle #london2012

Dogboy1973 2012-07-27 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by dtb200 (Post 1105371)
I currently work solely on the iPad and need a MIDI & audio interface and like Propellerhead ethos & products so thought I would try the Balance. Will take iPad to a shop and ask to try it with a Balance. Thanks again.

Balance is bus powered so there's no way it's going to work with the iPad unfortunately. check out the Alesis IO Dock for a dedicated iPad interface/dock. The Tascam iU2 looks decent as well, although it has had mixed feedback from users.

On my PC I have a bookmark to a site talking about computer interfaces that work with the iPad .... but my computer is currently on a container ship probably rounding Africa about now. If I can find the site I'll post up a link. It's very interesting & useful for iPad users looking for an interface.

Dogboy1973 2012-07-27 14:05

.... I remembered a couple of links I'd posted on the k-v-r forum. Just found these but the links don't seem to lead anywhere now. Anyway, found one of the interfaces that works with iPad that a lot of people were talking about. It was the Lexicon Omega. Apparently this works a treat with iPad (see the Lexicon website for details).

But whilst looking around I found which I think must surely be the ultimate audio/MIDI interface that works with iPad - the (somewhat expensive but very high quality) RME Fireface UCX. Check this video (shows this in use with iPad from about 3:20 into the video;

normen 2012-07-27 14:10

Having the whole CoreAudio API and generic USB audio support (tho "only" for 16bit/44.1 kHz atm but with up to 32 Channels) puts apples iOS lightyears ahead of other mobile systems (even windows 8 ) in terms of audio. Apple really did well here and its also the reason why iOS is so successful with musicians.

dtb200 2012-07-28 01:33

Thanks for the tips - like the RME but outside my pay grade :-)