Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Riddle me this--CV delay (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=164935)

ryszard 2012-08-01 10:36

Riddle me this--CV delay

There is a thread in the Suggestion forum requesting a delay line for CV signals. My question is, how would this be useful? I am asking from complete ignorance. If I see a need for it I'll be happy to get behind the suggestion but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. I asked in that thread several days ago but haven't received a reply.

danny_f 2012-08-01 10:43

I guess it would be just another way to modulate things differently

EpiGenetik 2012-08-01 11:12

The foremost reason is that you can build delays that change tempo without the classic "pitchbend" noise that you get in an audio delay.

Besides this, well there's countless cool things you can get out of it really.

Hope this helps

ryszard 2012-08-01 11:23

EpiGen,

Could you be more specific? I'm really curious. If it's that cool I'd like to use it myself.

I really like your signature line.

djfresha 2012-08-01 13:31

You could use a CV delay in the same sort of fashion of splitting so one is 'raw' and one is 'delayed' (or chain more if you wanted thru Spider CV), then connect CV raw on Subtractor 1 Filter 1 on a Saw, and then with a delayed CV connect to Subtractor 2 Filter 1 on a square so you get a modulated Saw first then Square second. Sort of like sequencing on the Matrix / Thor, but you get duplicates (kind of like how Rob Papen's "BLADE" works I'm guessing). Also mixing an original CV source with a delayed one at a different level could produce some very unique CV modulations, plus they could be replayed and repeated consistently if triggered by MIDI. Like having one fader go up on CV 1 and on it's way down delayed CV 2 on another fader matches the curve to create a fluid sound. Or generally to mess up all sorts :D

Also might be like multitapping echos, but in CV form. Wonder what would happen if you did do an Audio in to CV out via 2x Thors, have Audio in on Thor delayed when it comes in, and then twist the delay down to 'zipper' the audio in. However... CV at fast rates (say about 50-80 or 100hz) get to the point where you cant hear the modulation but you hear it similar to FM / AM tones instead.... Has to be super slow, and also needs to be BPM dependent if you want specific not lengths. That's another trick thing in itself... think this is where multiple Pulsars may come in effect (by Combining them, single note key mapping and Midi triggering each in turn.. hmm idea pot stirrage :D) - however, I've also found that if you legato notes on devices that should only receive 1 note *may* receive a trigger from said extra notes... so becomes less desirable effect. Have tried this with single samples too sliced to perfect 8th note speed so I can pitch bend up 2 octaves to get 32nd notes and down 2 to get 1/2 notes from same samples. Tricky but fun experimenting. This is what led me on to playing with same idea, trying to emulate Massive's performance LFO in a similar way, and Audio has to be a set level (think it was equivalent to 250% Audio 1 in on Thor to CV1 to get close, so 100% + 100% + 50%, three lines in Modmatrix). will ponder more thought on this mate...

ryszard 2012-08-01 14:05

I think I'm starting to see it. Modulated modulation and more. In fact, I've already thought of a use for an effects concept I've had for years but couldn't imagine how to implement.

I hope you'll keep thinking out loud.

dacess123 2012-08-01 14:28

cv delay sounds like the beginning of plugin compensation... isn't that the problem currently? All the complex cv routing...

dub08 2012-08-01 16:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by dacess123 (Post 1108789)
cv delay sounds like the beginning of plugin compensation... isn't that the problem currently? All the complex cv routing...

Is it?
cv delay will only add delay to CV right?... But I don't think cv/PDC are related.
I could be totally wrong tho. :)

selig 2012-08-01 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryszard (Post 1108725)
There is a thread in the Suggestion forum requesting a delay line for CV signals. My question is, how would this be useful? I am asking from complete ignorance. If I see a need for it I'll be happy to get behind the suggestion but I haven't been able to figure it out on my own. I asked in that thread several days ago but haven't received a reply.

Any CV can be delayed in Reason by passing it through a Thor and converting to audio and using Thor's Delay (or external delays), and finally converting back to CV before passing it on. :-)

djfresha 2012-08-01 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryszard (Post 1108781)
I hope you'll keep thinking out loud.

You know me... always a loud mouth when it comes to me noodles lol