Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mp3 Support (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=165367)

Beatmakaz 2012-08-10 01:00

Mp3 Support

Would love some feed back on why we are missing support for the Mp3 format. I guess I should make some things clear. I'm wondering about the Importing of Mp3 files, not the Exporting of Mp3 files.

Thanks,

Beatmakaz

Votes for yea,

Votes for Na.

djjams 2012-08-10 02:03

Instead of MP3 it would be better to support FLAC and ogg.

djfresha 2012-08-10 03:19

Props would have to apply for the MP3 technology (in a form of a licence), I think... which is a trademark of Thomson S.A (whoever that is... see the notice in Cubase 4 if I was bouncing to Mp3) - would rather see Sonnox port their MP3 'previewer' plugin to RE if MP3 is an option. I always bounce out at least 44.1kHz / 24bit, then master in 3rd party (gotta use my PoCo and other Sonnox plugs for that extra final push), check in Soundforge and once happy *THEN* I would consider prepping for 320k MP3

jlgrimes 2012-08-10 03:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatmakaz (Post 1113265)
Would love some feed back on why we are missing support for the Mp3 format.

Votes for yea,

Votes for Na.

Voted yes.

I don't care much about mastering in reason but reason needs more flexibility in the format department.

KevWestBeats 2012-08-10 05:31

Reason should open itself to all of the standard formats.

ShelLuser 2012-08-10 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfresha (Post 1113331)
Props would have to apply for the MP3 technology (in a form of a licence), I think... which is a trademark of Thomson S.A (whoever that is... see the notice in Cubase 4 if I was bouncing to Mp3) - would rather see Sonnox port their MP3 'previewer' plugin to RE if MP3 is an option. I always bounce out at least 44.1kHz / 24bit, then master in 3rd party (gotta use my PoCo and other Sonnox plugs for that extra final push), check in Soundforge and once happy *THEN* I would consider prepping for 320k MP3

Actually, the original licensing is done through Fraunhofer who also invented the mp3 format and allow you to license it (as can be seen on that page).

ShelLuser 2012-08-10 05:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beatmakaz (Post 1113265)
Would love some feed back on why we are missing support for the Mp3 format.

Voted nay.

For 2 reasons.

The obvious one being that the price for Reason would no doubt go up because the MP3 codec isn't free for (commercial) usage. I don't see the extra value in having to pay for this.

But I think it would also be a little odd for a DAW (-like) program to support a semi-destructive algorithm. When you save something in mp3 format you lose data, which is something I don't think is really suited within a DAW.

Steedus 2012-08-10 06:22

I voted "Don't care" but that was regarding MP3 exporting .. however I would find MP3 support handy when importing audio.

Bretstradamus 2012-08-10 07:42

I voted yes, because I'm always sending demos and snippets of songs to my bandmates through email, having to convert every file to be under 10MB is annoying.

illCarl 2012-08-10 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelLuser (Post 1113385)
Voted nay.

For 2 reasons.

The obvious one being that the price for Reason would no doubt go up because the MP3 codec isn't free for (commercial) usage. I don't see the extra value in having to pay for this.

Well.. it's not like it's gone cost a lot more ... The decoder is 0.75 US$ per unit, the codec is 2.50 - 5.00 US $ per unit.