Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Mic preamps (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=165690)

monks 2012-08-15 23:09

Mic preamps

Hi, -a general recording question. I'm using a condenser mic into an external soundcard (Focusrite Saffire 10/10). The card has phantom power. The phantom power seems to create a lot of hum compared to the low signal input livel. I'm having to turn up the soundcard input volume but the hum is drowning out the input signal. For best practice, would I be better off pre-amping the mic before the soundcard?

Cheers,
monks

auschris 2012-08-16 02:35

I am not familiar with the device but if you do have access to an external preamp give it a try and hear if there is any difference.

djfm1983 2012-08-17 07:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by monks (Post 1116779)
I'm using a condenser mic into an external soundcard (Focusrite Saffire 10/10). The card has phantom power. The phantom power seems to create a lot of hum compared to the low signal input livel.

I don't know if I read your post right... are you getting a signal on your mic without using phantom power? I can't get any signal on my condenser without phantom power on. Are you talking about whenever you don't use your mic but the line level input? The hum could be a grounding issue with all of your gear. It could be the AC noise. Does your mic have a low cut filter? That can help a bit. I use the Focusrite 2i2 with no issues with hum whenever the phantom power is on.

dacess123 2012-08-17 13:08

Hey dude, sounds like you either haven't dialed in the correct settings somewhere, or you have a bad connection. I have the Trakmaster pro now but I used to used the Saffire Pro 40 and there definitely was no hum at all - it was very quiet in fact.

Does the Saffire 10/10 come with the audio routing software? You might need to configure the way the inputs transfer into your computer.

monks 2012-09-18 00:15

Sorry for very late response. Forum didn't inform me of replies. I'm really not sure what it is...I'll have to investigate. In the meantime I've been doing recording vocs at another studio. I'm using a brand new Klotz double shielded cable here so it can't be that. I'm pretty clued up as to software routing- pretty experienced with that, so I don't think it's that either. The soundcard comes with very straightforward, lean software I'm beginning to think it's the mic but I don't have a spare to check it. That's the next thing I'll try. The grounding is another possibility.
Thanks for the help ;)

monks

omshanti20 2012-09-18 00:36

MayorMcCheese 2012-09-18 00:42

Get Balance and solve all the problems at once and have Clip Safe on top of that. Sell off your exisiting stuff and be a happy camper.

monks 2012-09-22 01:25

Ok, so looks like I need to check this mic first and then go from there. Focusrite told me that the hum sounded like a defect in the unit...Clipsafe looks pretty useful, -totally right about the trying to be performer and engineer at the same time. :-)

Thanks,
monks

omshanti20 2012-09-22 08:30