Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   6 mic audio interface (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=165820)

heskiboy 2012-08-18 12:31

6 mic audio interface

I know this is a long shot, but I'm looking for a USB audio interface that'd work with Reason AND not cost much more than £200. I was looking at the Tascam US800, but that's been recently discontinued due to many issues with freezing and general connectivity.

The interface has to be USB (I'm using a PC laptop with no firewire), and capable of recording up to six microphones at once. The best I've found so far is the Tascam US1800 (which DOES work), but at £270 it'd be breaking the bank!

cpetersus 2012-08-18 14:51

You're in a tuff spot there with needing 6 pres and USB. Personally i would stay aware from Tascam. If I were you I would invest a little more money and get a Presonus or Focusrite unit. I'm not sure why you have to have USB but if you can add FireWire to your setup I think the Focusrite Pro40 is a NO brainer. If your stuff with USB then a have the Audiobox1818 and am very happy with it. Price wise your in a tuff spot also.

KingEternal 2012-08-18 15:04

I think at this price point you will have to settle for 4 mic ins. What I `ve found : the Akai EIE Pro
and : Presonus AudioBox 44VSL, but as B-stock.

KingEternal 2012-08-18 15:07

Just found the Behringer Xenyx X1832 USB, which has 6 Mic Ins with Pres at a very low price point, but I guess that`s not suited for mobility ;)

heskiboy 2012-08-18 16:07

Unfortunately my laptop doesn't come with a Firewire port, and retro-fitting one isn't an option with this model. I've been very impressed with Presonous' audio interfaces (my school has two of their 22VSL models), but the extra £120 is too much of a stretch at the moment.
Only reason for the 6 pres is a drummer too...

heskiboy 2012-08-18 16:10

That was my original replacement for the US800 but it can only record from 2 channels at once, which is no good because i need all 6 pres at the same time to record drummers...

drdk 2012-08-19 00:18

What about a real mixer?

DK

heskiboy 2012-08-19 16:29

To sub-mix the drums? That's a good idea, and it never occurred to me until now. Thanks man

Nathanbar 2012-08-19 19:04

An alternative solution around the same price point would be the Alesis usb drum interface and a pack of drum triggers, like DDrum. That would put you in the 250.00 range and you could just use a two channel interface to record stereo overheads. All of the individual drums would be triggered and you could use samples for the kick, snare and toms.

heskiboy 2012-08-19 22:38

As much as i'd love to do that, I'm looking to record a particular kit. My Plan now is to use an Audiobox 44VSL with (Mic1-Kick), (Mic2-Snare), (Line3+4-Stereo Output from a small mixer, of the overheads and toms).
Can anyone see any obvious problems with that?