Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Machfive 3 vs kontakt (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=165870)

bigant 2012-08-19 19:21

Machfive 3 vs kontakt

Does anyone even own machfive been going to forum after forum and youtube,nobody seems to know how machfive stacks up against kontakt or if it can be a plugin with DP8. Looking to go all out MOTU with DP8,BPM and maybe one of their sound cards too.

dreampolice 2012-08-19 20:14

I own both, and both are amazing. If you put a gun to my head I would say Kontakt has the edge. And of course both can run as plugins in DP. Have you used DP? Why go that route?

bigant 2012-08-19 20:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreampolice (Post 1119038)
I own both, and both are amazing. If you put a gun to my head I would say Kontakt has the edge. And of course both can run as plugins in DP. Have you used DP? Why go that route?

Well from what I've heard it's like a little brother to logic which I'm coming from so i figure the transition should be easy and i like what I'm seeing on youtube.

dreampolice 2012-08-20 02:28

ehhh, IDK DP is pretty different from Logic, why move away from logic?

bigant 2012-08-20 03:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreampolice (Post 1119201)
ehhh, IDK DP is pretty different from Logic, why move away from logic?

Going PC.....

Airpom 2012-08-20 04:46

http://www.motu.com/newsitems/digita...r-does-windows

dreampolice 2012-08-20 07:47

Man, for PC check out Sonar, it is fantastic. DP on PC is not even out yet, and boy I bet the first version will have bugs. Or just stay mac :)

davidvilla 2012-08-20 15:37

I own both, and in my opinion, if I had to pick one, I would choose Machfive - it's not only a sampler, it's also a synth, offering FM, wavetable, granular, and drum synthesis, amongst others. There's so much 'stuff' in M5 it's really kind of overwhelming, and to fully take advantage of everything you're going to have to put in some time.

If you're moving away from Logic, make sure you keep Logic's EXS24 instruments because M5 loads those, and I think Logic's EXS library is freaking fantastic. It's cool being able to load them directly in M5 - keeps everything easily accessible.

Kontakt has way more libraries available for it though - and this is why I use Kontakt. It's really just a preset player for me, but the libraries available for it are really good. There's lots of 3rd party support. Machfive loads practically everything made by UVI and Acousticsamples, but I don't see anyone else. The quality is super high though.

dreampolice 2012-08-20 15:46

yea, I agree with all of the above. HOWEVER the sampler mangling/sound design tools are a TINY bit better in Kontakt, but of course it is not a synth. :)

bigant 2012-08-20 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidvilla (Post 1119512)
I own both, and in my opinion, if I had to pick one, I would choose Machfive - it's not only a sampler, it's also a synth, offering FM, wavetable, granular, and drum synthesis, amongst others. There's so much 'stuff' in M5 it's really kind of overwhelming, and to fully take advantage of everything you're going to have to put in some time.

If you're moving away from Logic, make sure you keep Logic's EXS24 instruments because M5 loads those, and I think Logic's EXS library is freaking fantastic. It's cool being able to load them directly in M5 - keeps everything easily accessible.

Kontakt has way more libraries available for it though - and this is why I use Kontakt. It's really just a preset player for me, but the libraries available for it are really good. There's lots of 3rd party support. Machfive loads practically everything made by UVI and Acousticsamples, but I don't see anyone else. The quality is super high though.

Yea thats what im seeing now that M5 is kinda like a mix of massive/kontakt. Doing my homework on a lot of gear to see whats best thanks for the input.