Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can't get vocoder or voice synth to work. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=165879)

Egungon 2012-08-19 23:01

Can't get vocoder or voice synth to work.

I've been trying to get vocoder and voice synth to work for a while. I've followed many tutorials, but none of them work for me. I just cant hear anything, I record, and nothing. I'm so confused. I'm making an electronic song, and want an electronic sounding voice effect to use, but I don't know what to do.

platzangst 2012-08-19 23:13

Well, first describe what you are doing. How are you hooking up the Vocoder?

Whagi 2012-08-19 23:14

Took me a while to get my head around it, but once you do, its quite simple. You just have to learn the back routing. There are YouTube videos showing how its done though.

Oper8 2012-08-19 23:14

No tutorial worked ? That's quite weird... Are you sure you double checked every routing ? Haven't you missed something ?

Egungon 2012-08-19 23:18

You'd think that if you insert a one of the default vocoders or voice synths, it would instantly work. But, apparently now. So, I tried watching videos and figuring things out for myself. But, nothing works.

Whagi 2012-08-19 23:20

Check this out. Lots of cool info here CLICK ME >>

Oper8 2012-08-19 23:23

If you watch a tutorial video, make sure you pause after each step and do exactly the same settings as what the guy explains. Can't see why it wouldn't work on your computer, that's just plain weird... Did you double check each setting ?

platzangst 2012-08-20 03:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Egungon (Post 1119120)
You'd think that if you insert a one of the default vocoders or voice synths, it would instantly work. But, apparently now.

#1: "Just inserting" a vocoder isn't going to "work", in that you can't just create the thing on a vocal track all by itself and have a robot voice come bubbling out of it automatically. A vocoder needs two sound sources: a modulator and a carrier.

The Carrier is the base sound. If you want a robot voice, you need an electronic sound, like from a synthesizer.

The Modulator shapes the sound. This would be your vocal or speech track. It gets fed into the vocoder, and shapes the Carrier sound, like your mouth and throat shapes the basic sound your vocal chords produce.

Both sounds have to be active before you will hear anything out of the Vocoder. If the Carrier (synth) is silent, there will be nothing for the other sound to shape. If the Modulator (voice) is silent, then the other sound is shaped into an imitation of that silence.

#2: This is why you ought to be able to describe in detail what you are doing when you come up with a complaint like this. People use the Vocoder all the time and make it work. But nobody can read your mind to know what you might have hooked up incorrectly. "Nothing works" doesn't point us in the right direction.

sendittorell 2012-08-20 15:08

My Vocoder not working Either

As easy as it may seem and it is easy, my vocoder worked before, but once I upgraded from Reason 5 Record over to Reason 6.0 it has not been working. I now have Reason 6.5.1 and have tried everything. Even tried re-installing the entire Reason software on my Mac.

I've tried all the tutorials from Reason 5 Power and numerous tutorials and forums and still nothing. I've tried this guy right here who was pretty helpful because atleast I got a signal from following his instructions --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotat...&v=D3ZI5OXS-Mk

But still nothing. All of my connections are correct and settings are identical. The guy in the tutorial gets an amazing vocoded signal on his vox and I get the raw signal of what I recorded, even with the exact same settings. So its not far fetched. It could definitely be something wrong like a bug or something. Not sure but its pretty frustrating. I put in a trouble ticket so we shall see what the guys at Propellerhead suggests.

Rell

Oper8 2012-08-20 15:37

I just did the same thing on Reason 6.5.1, following the steps described in the video, and it works perfectly. Are you sure you created the vocoder device as an insert effect to the vocal track, then created the Malström (with Shift+right click) outside the vocal track ?
Edit- Wait, you say you're getting the raw signal ? How did you set your vocoder's "Dry/Wet" knob ? Since it's an insert effect in your audio track, it acts like any other effect, so if you only want the processed signal, you have to turn it all the way up to "Wet" position.