Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Issue with mixing (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=165922)

Tongueey 2012-08-20 17:30

Issue with mixing

Okay, so at one point in my song the drums kick in over the synth, but it entirely crushes the synth's volume. I'm really new to this, and don't know how to fix it. It just diminishes it to a point where the synth sounds pathetic.
Drums are on Redrum and synth on Thor if that helps...

selig 2012-08-20 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tongueey (Post 1119579)
Okay, so at one point in my song the drums kick in over the synth, but it entirely crushes the synth's volume. I'm really new to this, and don't know how to fix it. It just diminishes it to a point where the synth sounds pathetic.
Drums are on Redrum and synth on Thor if that helps...

Sounds like maybe you're mixing into a compressor (the Master Compressor, or a Limiter in the Master Insert section, etc), and when the drums kick in they are much louder than the synth. This would cause the compressor to kick in hard and take everything down in level - but since the drums are loud already, they stay loud, but the synth will simply get pushed way down by the compressor because of the drums.

That's all I can surmise from what you posted. The 'fix' is FIRST to turn off the compressor(s) and check the balance between the drums and the synths - thy to make things work well together before adding any compression (if that's indeed what's happening to you).

Let us know if there's compression on your mix, and what you hear when you listen with no compression, and we can go from there. :-)

Benedict 2012-08-21 11:17

Yep Selig is odds on correct.

Mixing in to a Limiter has its advantages but most likely NOT when learning to mix.

Turn your whole mix down at the Master Fader and then get it to sound balanced, as in most important instruments out front (is that really the kik drum?) and then the other instruments backing up the leads.

Then pop on your Master Limiters etc.

:)

Now are you sure your kik drum is the most important part of your song? What if you muted everything but the kik, would your piece be unique and memorable? Probably not. The most important art of your mix is the part that is most unique. Think lyrics, melody, and then rhythm section.

selig 2012-08-21 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benedict (Post 1120032)
Yep Selig is odds on correct.

Mixing in to a Limiter has its advantages but most likely NOT when learning to mix

I'm not one who feels that "mixing" into a compressor/limiter, i.e. setting basic levels and tweaking them to get a good balance, has any advantages that I've found.

I'll put a compressor on my mix AFTER it's a "mix" and levels aren't going to change much if at all (just a few tweaks here and there). And that compressor will only be doing a few dBs of gain reduction so it's not really changing the levels when it's active.

Even after mixing for years and getting a feel for what a few dB of boost here, a few dB of cut there, actually sounds like, it's frustrating to turn a fader up a few dB and NOT hear a few dB of change - and in fact, hearing other tracks get quieter! I'd rather know what I'm going to get with a few dB of gain one way or the other, rather than fight a compressor for control of my mix! Mixing is hard enough as it is, IMO. :-)

Benedict 2012-08-25 02:43

Fair call. I know the mix into a Compressor/Limiter issue is a fighting point.

I do do it. I have my "Finalizing" ("Mastering" is the wrong word) Combi in there from the start but I write simplish mixes with 100% synthy sounds whereas you mixing real world stuff much of the time.

I did not use a compressor till a few years ago which amazed a few others but now I do a bit. Largely it was because I just didn't have one I could get. Reason makes it a lot easier. That and I wanted a really natural mix for my unnatural music.

Either way, best to learn to balance a mix without a compressor fighting you.

:)