Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Looking for Song and Mix Critques (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166083)

Bretstradamus 2012-08-24 01:24

Looking for Song and Mix Critques
 
This is a rough mix and master, I'm looking for any and all songwriting and mix critiques. If you have any comments on the mix, also please say what you're listening on (monitors, ear buds, etc.). Let me know how I can improve it, thanks!

Loading SoundCloud…

SoulElemental 2012-08-24 02:32

I chose to listen as an average listener, thru monitors and a sub. BX5's to be specific. I just listened away from the music to see what I catch and I had to focus on the vocals which drew me into the tune. Its a nice track, but the vocals sounded like they need more space. If Im so- so listening, this is what caught my attention. I would say bring em out and add some reverb? Iono but its a great track. I hope this can help u in your direction, ask any questions u like to narrow down specifics

Bretstradamus 2012-08-24 02:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulElemental (Post 1121480)
I chose to listen as an average listener, thru monitors and a sub. BX5's to be specific. I just listened away from the music to see what I catch and I had to focus on the vocals which drew me into the tune. Its a nice track, but the vocals sounded like they need more space. If Im so- so listening, this is what caught my attention. I would say bring em out and add some reverb? Iono but its a great track. I hope this can help u in your direction, ask any questions u like to narrow down specifics

By more space, do you mean the other instruments are masking them too much or do they need more reverb/delays? By bringing them out would you suggest eq on the high end or just turning them up a bit? Thanks for the review.

SoulElemental 2012-08-24 02:54

First I dont want to sound negative by any means, Its a great track! And by more space I mean that the EQ is great, cuts thru like a knife. I think its more the depth. Dont go too crazy but some delay or reverb to widen the view of sound. I wanna listen again. EDIT: in the cans its freakin great!

Bretstradamus 2012-08-24 03:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoulElemental (Post 1121495)
First I dont want to sound negative by any means, Its a great track! And by more space I mean that the EQ is great, cuts thru like a knife. I think its more the depth. Dont go too crazy but some delay or reverb to widen the view of sound. I wanna listen again. EDIT: in the cans its freakin great!

I have vocal delays during the chorus, I'll try either adding some elsewhere or using more reverb. Thanks!

Staarchylld 2012-08-24 05:02

Yeah this song is pretty cool. I think that everything is too in your face, try dialing it back a bit. I really like the glockenspiel type sound. I catch glimpses of the lead singer of system of a down. I like the song. did you do all the drums yourself?

Bretstradamus 2012-08-24 05:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staarchylld (Post 1121525)
Yeah this song is pretty cool. I think that everything is too in your face, try dialing it back a bit. I really like the glockenspiel type sound. I catch glimpses of the lead singer of system of a down. I like the song. did you do all the drums yourself?

I might try turning down some of the instruments if they're too far forward. I do love big in-your-face modern mixes, so part of that is my taste. Yes, I did all the drums.

RasCricket 2012-08-24 06:54

Yup, totally good tune, just a bit intense for sure.

Like when "The Skeletons..." comes in, its just a bit quiet. Its often a drawback of mixing ones own vocals - we pull em back too far. I dont listen to anything except reggae, but...am I way off thinking Muse could be a big influence? And nope, not a diss by any stretch, more of a test of my guessing skills. Nor am I saying what ya got here is too much of a bite off someone else gig.

Its really good man. I dont know how much volume automation ya got goin on, may be its too much. If thats whats causing the vox to get buried at certain parts.

Theres no evident timing errors or anything bad musically. Its down to the mix at this point, but you know that. Id try another mix with the mantra of "vocals at the front, vocals at the front" and see what ya get. That whole intro section which sets up the song for people has lacking vocals, pretty much leaving someone for the rest of the tune not liking the low vocals. Bump em up especially in that intro section, is one suggestion. But theyre a bit low elsewhere too. :)

Im on headphones, btw. Do you happen to remember what kit or where youre getting that rimshot snare from?

tincture 2012-08-24 16:53

Listening on earbuds on laptop. Had a quick read through the other comments; the vocals sound good to me, up front enough. Great musicality here, love the changes and full sound. Your vocal reminds me and indeed the song as well slightly of The Mars Volta. Really good track, I enjoyed it.

Bretstradamus 2012-08-24 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by RasCricket (Post 1121549)
Yup, totally good tune, just a bit intense for sure.

Like when "The Skeletons..." comes in, its just a bit quiet. Its often a drawback of mixing ones own vocals - we pull em back too far. I dont listen to anything except reggae, but...am I way off thinking Muse could be a big influence? And nope, not a diss by any stretch, more of a test of my guessing skills. Nor am I saying what ya got here is too much of a bite off someone else gig.

Its really good man. I dont know how much volume automation ya got goin on, may be its too much. If thats whats causing the vox to get buried at certain parts.

Theres no evident timing errors or anything bad musically. Its down to the mix at this point, but you know that. Id try another mix with the mantra of "vocals at the front, vocals at the front" and see what ya get. That whole intro section which sets up the song for people has lacking vocals, pretty much leaving someone for the rest of the tune not liking the low vocals. Bump em up especially in that intro section, is one suggestion. But theyre a bit low elsewhere too. :)

Im on headphones, btw. Do you happen to remember what kit or where youre getting that rimshot snare from?

I'll take another look at the vocals. On this song I tried mixing them a tiny bit lower than I normally do, on my past projects people often told me my vocals were too loud, hah.

I actually don't listen to Muse very much. I've heard their stuff before so I can see where you're coming from.

The drums are all from an old sample pack I stole from my drummer. There were three snares in the kit, though it didn't say what the snare was. Next time I go to his house I can look at the dvd case and see what it is.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:53.