Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   SONAR X1 compared to Reason (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166103)

jamesgabi 2012-08-24 15:20

SONAR X1 compared to Reason

I don't want to actually compare the two DAW's together. They are 2 different software with possibly different uses.

But for heavens sake.. For the same price or even cheaper you get SOOOO many many many more tools.

With the advent of Sonar X2 I'm sure my perception of the things we get compared to what we pay will be more clear.

What I'm looking for is someone willing to point out what the actual benefits are of having Reason 6.5 compared to Sonar X1/2 and all its features.

jlgrimes 2012-08-24 17:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesgabi (Post 1121653)
I don't want to actually compare the two DAW's together. They are 2 different software with possibly different uses.

But for heavens sake.. For the same price or even cheaper you get SOOOO many many many more tools.

With the advent of Sonar X2 I'm sure my perception of the things we get compared to what we pay will be more clear.

What I'm looking for is someone willing to point out what the actual benefits are of having Reason 6.5 compared to Sonar X1/2 and all its features.

Different workflows.

Sonar caters more to the audio engineering. It also have a more developed midi sequencer. Sonar also tends to be more unstable and IMO have more inconsistent tools. Its level of integration don't seem on par with Reason. In reason every device feels like part of the program where in other DAWS every VST feels like a whole different GUI (Live and Studio One are exceptions. Their devices feel very much like part of program).

Philup 2012-08-25 04:51

Why did you post this in the feature suggestions forum?

Smedberg 2012-08-25 08:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesgabi (Post 1121653)

One works, the other doesn't?

Lokeyfly 2012-08-25 08:43

"I don't want to actually compare the two DAW's together."
No, but you're doing a heck of a job asking.

Every DAW has it's plus & minuses. Reason is a very different DAW in that it is a very unique environment compared to other DAW's. Therefore, creativity comes from a similar unique angle. Many in fact. I'm not going to detail all of the differences for you. Read, learn, listen, and make your own observations.

As they say with riding a motorcycle "If you have to ask..........".

I will say Reason is quite intuitive, extremely stable, and very, very musical. Did I mention stable?

You mention "so many more tools". That needs to be verified, and if your counting my friend, that's probably not the best approach.

There are issues that need to be addressed with Reason (as any DAW, including Sonar X1/2).

Perhaps someone will point out the details to you, but quite honestly, if you take even just a little time to look at Reasons Synthesis modules, Drum modules, and emphasis to a simple and stable working environment, GUI, and Rack plug in matrix, you'll most likely remove the "SOOOO many many many more tools" part of your statement. Good luck learning!

AriasMusic 2012-08-25 12:14

http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SON...-Sequencer-2.0

THIS, IS, what reason really need !!!!!!!

KenPH 2012-08-25 14:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by AriasMusic (Post 1122161)
http://www.cakewalk.com/Products/SON...-Sequencer-2.0

THIS, IS, what reason really need !!!!!!!

That would be very nice.

jamesgabi 2012-08-25 14:17

I don't want to sound arrogant but I believe that I know reason quite well. I also have some experience with Sonar and quite a bit of Ableton.

I'm not counting anything but I just feel the difference. Methinks PH is staying back from developing anything outstanding for Reason. I know very well that with a few simple modules and the possibility of CV routing, many things are possible but at the same time I feel very limited.

There are several other tools which are included with certain DAWs

convolution reverb, better sounding mastering tools, more flexible synths (NO I AM NOT REFERRING TO THOR ALTHOUGH IT CAN BE EXPANDED WAY FURTHER) , more control over our samples and so on and so forth.

I am still waiting to see what reason 7 is all about because this seems like PH is preparring something big for us but I will just wait and see..

And oh, the Rack extensions!!! It may still be too early in the game but nothing I have seen up till now has impressed me one bit. And it's not about my pretensiously high standards, it's a matter of the REs not providing you anything new and useful for your rack.

jamesgabi 2012-08-25 14:24

Because I am suggesting new features?

Lokeyfly 2012-08-26 06:51

Not at all. Thanks for explaining!

jamesgabi, you don't sound arrogant at all. In fact, I probably came across that way myself, as I re read my thread. Sorry about that!

The written word can do that sometimes, unintentionally. You see, I did not read in your OP any indication that you had experience with both programs and I interpreted it as you asking for some feedback, not knowing the differences between both Reason and Sonar. My apology.

On the contrary, your point is really well taken and I completely agree that Reason is somewhat holding back. After all, technology moves on, and Sonar is offering quite a nice level of sophistication right now.

I also agree with you on Reason’s Re's. I have expressed some very real concerns about the lack of visual feedback, and overall design. IMHO, they somehow already feel antiquated, and have posted so in Reason forums. When looking at other effects where compression curves, EQ with included spectrum analysis are very visual and audibly amazing. There’s always the purist who will comment that visual curves, envelopes, and such feedback are not necessary, “use you’re ears” is their answer. Phooey! I think that’s a crock. We use our ears! Give me the visual aid, so I can make decisive moves, see the big picture, listen, and move on. Oh ok, the visual are cool too!

Also, I agree 100% with your position on the lack of a Convolution reverb. Not even one Re reverb is to my liking. Period, and that’s from my ears. With that, Props' RV7000 is not bad at all as a generally good sounding reverb.

I asked the same question you did a few months back and also felt “very limited” with Reason on a whole as well. Actually, I decided to go with (or better term “add”) Presonus Studio One 2 Pro. Like Sonar Pro, it gave me a more complete solution. The tools and final mastering effects are amazing, and convolution reverb, Melodyne, are excellent, etc., etc. The workflow and layout are seamless.

I've found Reason to be a great song or idea palate with its excellent synth and combinator design, and then I rewire to Presonus S1 where I can get down to business and build on further ideas because in my case, I have other VST’s. Also it’s not just about VST’s, Studio One just works the way I think a DAW should, with auxiliaries, effects, and so on.

Sonar now seems to be doing the same by providing a very powerful DAW with excellent tools. jlgrimes’ response to your OP is spot on. Also, a friend of mine uses Sonar X1 Producer in his recording studio, and swears by it, so I get to play with it and it’s very cool. Especially the use of smart tools, which I’ve been used to with PT for years. Everything is fairly cohesive, but I am just used to Studio One now. We all get used to something. Still, keeping an open mind, Sonar is fairly up to date. Between you, me, and the tree out back, I am partial to Studio One. The workflow is one up on Sonar and just functions like a swiss army knife. Sonar’s mixer looks slicker and can be modified, but in reality, takes up too much space the way the SSL seems to, IMO. S1's mixer while sometimes is criticised as too utility like, really operates well, expanding and minimizing very well in fact. It can be customized well enough and there's no real loss in real estate anywhere, that can't be clicked back in a second!

I really like Reason’s unique approach, and I’ll still put it musically ahead of the rest of the DAW’s on a whole, basically because it’s so damn simple and allows one to just get tracks down easily and quickly. Still, it needs updating badly (as you have pointed out). Not to look like the rest, or have skins, but to step up to the plate with a smart tool, editing midi, individual note audio key editing, and better use of screen space, drag n drop, a serious mastering suit, more freeking track color options, etc. I hope this helps a bit with your request for comparisons. : )

Thanks for describing in more detail your knowledge of these two DAW’s. I suspect Reason will sing to its own tune, and surprise us as well with a serious Reason 7. I’m perfectly ok with using it as it is, and rewiring to a host DAW. I’m sure if I hooked up my NI Komplete and a few other goods to Sonar, I’d be diggin’ on it as well.