Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How to become Great (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166314)

network3r 2012-08-28 09:26

How to become Great

What do I have to do to become great at reason? How long does it take for you to become great? I've been at it for about 3 months now. I've been playing around with it for 3+ hours a day. I been watching youtube tutorial videos and am taking a music theory class right now. I don't have any other musical experience. I like to make house music.

towl35 2012-08-28 09:53

First off "how long does it take for 'one' to become great?" That all depends on the individual and how much time one devotes to learning his craft. There are some folk here that would arguably call themselves "great" (myself included) that have been using this program for years (I began with Reason 3).

If you are looking at the tutorials then you are off to a good start and apply it to your own songs. Music theory class is great as well. Asking for help here on these forums is another good thing. Get some kind of streaming account to upload your music to like reverbnation.com, soundcloud.com to name a couple so that we may critique your work. Study the demo songs that came with reason... load them up and look at the different settings of the instruments, solo the instruments as well... look at the midi for the different instruments. But most importantly... practice, Practice, PRACTICE!

Wensell 2012-08-28 10:01

Patience my friend.. :)

I dont know how your setup is, but a eye-opener for me was a midi keyboard. I spent years fiddling in the notes in Cakewalk, until I understood that there is a more musical way of doing this.

Also, from my own experience: Melody, melody, melody! Focus first at creating a catchy melody and feel to your tracks. Less focus on making it sound good. Most people want a cathy tune, and do not pay so much attention to details. You will learn new mixing-techniques on every new track you make, and then be wise to go back to your first songs, and apply your new techniques on them.

It sounds to me that your doing the right thing by taking classes and watching youtube. Maybe squeeze in learning an instrument? All in all, it will give you more musical understanding and a more solid musical-foundation.

Best of luck!

Lunesis 2012-08-28 10:22

I would say about 5 years minimum. Only 3 for good tho.

Kovkov 2012-08-28 10:40

It depends on patience, dedication, talent and studio knowledge background. That means anything between a few days and never ;)

sonictechtonic 2012-08-28 19:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by network3r (Post 1123740)
I been watching youtube tutorial videos and am taking a music theory class right now.

Just make sure you spend more time making music than watching youtube. It's easy to fall into the trap of thinking about and learning about making music without actually making any music (for me anyways)! You know, like the electric guitar player who spends all day looking at pedals but still messes up the same riff every night...

Slow, steady and dedicated - you're on the right track! Best of luck.

mastertonyd 2012-08-28 19:11

Just keep doing what you're doing! It'll come to you with more use!

pushedbutton 2012-08-28 20:29

After 5 or 5 years I am only just starting to learn how much I don't know about music production. I don't think anyone really feels like an expert, you just start seeing the mistakes you used to make and make them less often. There's no substitute for relentlessly producing crap until it sounds a little less crap each time.

FeelGoodRecordz 2012-08-28 22:06

some times you can have all the knowledge in the world bout how something works and the practical uses of it, but you'll never acheive greatness. Find your inspiration, hold on to it, and practice practice practice! and improve your network, ask the producers that are making the sound you want for adivce and keep them as a close contact

mastertonyd 2012-08-28 22:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by FeelGoodRecordz (Post 1124119)
some times you can have all the knowledge in the world bout how something works and the practical uses of it, but you'll never acheive greatness. Find your inspiration, hold on to it, and practice practice practice! and improve your network, ask the producers that are making the sound you want for adivce and keep them as a close contact

Your first post is a really good one!! Welcome!