Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Novation vs Nektar Panorama (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166328)

Borderline 2012-08-28 17:11

Novation vs Nektar Panorama

Any thoughts??? Has anyone had experience of both of these types of controllers.

Please also consider Reason is not my ONLY daw.

Thanks.

(for people who have already commented re this, im sorry. Im just desperate to make the right choice and cant work out which i should get!!)

charlycharlzz 2012-08-28 17:25

I never tryed a panorama but it look to be the best only for reason , I just know that novation is adapting it's auto mapping to other daws in 2 sec and should be the best for a multiple daws work session !

JohannEmmanuel 2012-08-28 17:58

I own a novation, cant say I am impressed. The keyboard action is better than the stuff roland knock out these days.

Borderline 2012-08-29 16:12

Im not fussed about the keyboard action really.... im a novice key player...

im more interested in ease of midi mapping. thanks though.

Borderline 2012-08-29 16:16

i think you may be right...

i HATE these decisions!!!

SteveDiverse 2012-08-29 18:54

I don't have the P4, but from reading comments by those who have it, not only does it have very tight integration with Reason (and they are working on mappings to rack extensions), it actually shows up as two separate control surfaces: a keyboard controller and a mixer control surface.

This means that the keyboard can be mapped to a sequencer track while the faders are mapped to mix channels.

A toggle button switches the fader mapping back and forth from mix channel to device controls.

EnochLight 2012-08-29 19:50

I do have the P4, and what SteveDiverse said is spot on. Not only that, currently Nektar's P4 ships with massive support for a lot of Rack Extensions already - and when I say support - I mean they can be controlled fully from the P4 just like any native Reason device once a sequencer track is created for them - including changing patches right from your P4 for those that save/recall patches.

It's really a testament to Nektar's support, as they are a very young and small company selling one product. I don't have the Novation (nor have I ever), but I've read quite publicly on these forums that their support for updates tends to be a little slower than their peers. I just don't see Novation staying up-to-date with RE releases. Not like Nektar, anyway.

Currently, here's the list of supported RE's on the P4 (and I have it on good authority that they are developing templates for as-yet-unreleased RE's that have yet to appear in the market)!

Polar - Propellerheads
Pulsar - Propellerheads
Radical Piano - Propellerheads
Saturation Knob - Softube
TSAR-1R - Softube
DC-2 Dual Chorus - Synapse Audio
AF-4 Analog Filter - Synapse Audio
RM-1 Ring Modulator - Synapse Audio
Rough Rider - Audio Damage
ABL2 - AudioRealism
Etch Red - FXpansion
Buffre Beat Repeater - PEFF
Bitspeek - Sonic Charge
SB Slice Arranger - Sugar Bytes
Ozone Maximizer - iZoptope, Inc.
FET Compressor - Softube
Trident A-Range EQ - Softube
TSAR-1 Reverb - Softube
Polysix - Korg, Inc.
VE-3 Vintage Equalizer - Synapse Audio
Re-Tron - GForce Software
Resampler - Blamsoft, Inc.
AP-12 Phaser - Synapse Audio
Loudness Meter - Flower Audio

Borderline 2012-08-30 10:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by EnochLight (Post 1124861)
I do have the P4, and what SteveDiverse said is spot on. Not only that, currently Nektar's P4 ships with massive support for a lot of Rack Extensions already - and when I say support - I mean they can be controlled fully from the P4 just like any native Reason device once a sequencer track is created for them - including changing patches right from your P4 for those that save/recall patches.

It's really a testament to Nektar's support, as they are a very young and small company selling one product. I don't have the Novation (nor have I ever), but I've read quite publicly on these forums that their support for updates tends to be a little slower than their peers. I just don't see Novation staying up-to-date with RE releases. Not like Nektar, anyway.

Currently, here's the list of supported RE's on the P4 (and I have it on good authority that they are developing templates for as-yet-unreleased RE's that have yet to appear in the market)!

Polar - Propellerheads
Pulsar - Propellerheads
Radical Piano - Propellerheads
Saturation Knob - Softube
TSAR-1R - Softube
DC-2 Dual Chorus - Synapse Audio
AF-4 Analog Filter - Synapse Audio
RM-1 Ring Modulator - Synapse Audio
Rough Rider - Audio Damage
ABL2 - AudioRealism
Etch Red - FXpansion
Buffre Beat Repeater - PEFF
Bitspeek - Sonic Charge
SB Slice Arranger - Sugar Bytes
Ozone Maximizer - iZoptope, Inc.
FET Compressor - Softube
Trident A-Range EQ - Softube
TSAR-1 Reverb - Softube
Polysix - Korg, Inc.
VE-3 Vintage Equalizer - Synapse Audio
Re-Tron - GForce Software
Resampler - Blamsoft, Inc.
AP-12 Phaser - Synapse Audio
Loudness Meter - Flower Audio

EnochLight - do you use the P4 with any other daw's also?? The main issue I have is that I am studying music production for games and films so I have to have video integration, so I am using Logic also (if Reason could run video then I would only use Reason).

If i was soleley (is that how you spell it?) running Reason, then the P4 would be a no brainer....I would buy it tomorrow.

What I want to know is how well does it perform with Logic / Reason rewired.....

None of the stores around me have the P4 in stock, they have a 1 month waiting list to order from Nektar, so I will have to make an internet purchase.... so I am trying to find out the above before taking the plunge as I cant test it in-store.

Hope this makes sense and maybe you can answer???

EnochLight 2012-08-30 12:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borderline (Post 1125336)
EnochLight - do you use the P4 with any other daw's also?? The main issue I have is that I am studying music production for games and films so I have to have video integration, so I am using Logic also (if Reason could run video then I would only use Reason).

If i was soleley (is that how you spell it?) running Reason, then the P4 would be a no brainer....I would buy it tomorrow.

What I want to know is how well does it perform with Logic / Reason rewired.....

None of the stores around me have the P4 in stock, they have a 1 month waiting list to order from Nektar, so I will have to make an internet purchase.... so I am trying to find out the above before taking the plunge as I cant test it in-store.

Hope this makes sense and maybe you can answer???

I only recently tried it with Reaper - works fine. When Reason is ReWired, however, it communicates directly with your ReWire host - not Reason. I think. Not sure. I have to experiment some more with it - but the family and I are going out of town for the weekend so I won't be able to test more until next week.

Maybe another P4 owner can chime in...

That said, the P4's "Internal" mode allows it to work with any MIDI capable software.

RCX-1030 2012-08-30 13:53

Borderline,

Works really well with Logic, and is extremely easy to map.
It only takes one push of the "internal mode" button and it works as a standard midi controller.

FYI Nektar have maps etc for the following daws;

Logic
Ableton Live
Cubase
Main Stage
Pro Tools

There are also some tricks and tips regarding when Reason is rewired to a master host, this involves making sure that the Keyboard port is "not selected" within Reason's control surface preferences, this will ensure that you can control Reason's devices even though you are rewired.

Routing midi through the P4 is not recommended as this can cause unpredictable conflicts.

As for stock issues, well there appears to be no issues!
Digital Village 247 P4 in stock with free delivery.

:)