Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Audio clip fade out/in (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166338)

deepndark 2012-08-28 19:51

Audio clip fade out/in

When I have recorded audio I can hear clicks at the beginning and end of the clip - could you put a button that automatically does a fade out and in to the selected clip? Just a very short fades would do to get rid of the clicks. Thanks! (yeah i can fade them now manually but this step is taking so much time every time).

pushedbutton 2012-08-28 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by pirnikas (Post 1124041)
When I have recorded audio I can hear clicks at the beginning and end of the clip - could you put a button that automatically does a fade out and in to the selected clip? Just a very short fades would do to get rid of the clicks. Thanks! (yeah i can fade them now manually but this step is taking so much time every time).

This is a bad idea. If you slice at silence you won't have this problem so there's no need to solve it. This idea would promote bad practice, ie, slapdash slicing. If you don't get it right in the first place you'll have trouble keeping the samples to tempo, you'll probably get nonsensical audio drop outs and people will point and laugh.

deepndark 2012-08-28 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushedbutton (Post 1124072)
This is a bad idea. If you slice at silence you won't have this problem so there's no need to solve it. This idea would promote bad practice, ie, slapdash slicing. If you don't get it right in the first place you'll have trouble keeping the samples to tempo, you'll probably get nonsensical audio drop outs and people will point and laugh.

I'm not sure if you understand what I mean. Fade in/out are also part of the Audacity - because recordings may have a click sound, it has nothing to do with the thing that if you have a bad recording. You said slice at silence well you never can have silence at the places you want, it's not up to you.

Lunesis 2012-08-28 21:15

What about the little white half circle tabs at the ends of each clip, the ones connected to the volume drag bar?

JiggeryPokery 2012-08-29 01:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunesis (Post 1124089)
What about the little white half circle tabs at the ends of each clip, the ones connected to the volume drag bar?

Yeah, it's not really much effort to drag fade in/outs: an automatic button option won't always help much as you'd have to set it to a default length, and still manually change the fade length every time you use it. Of course, pirn is talking very short fades here, so perhaps he has a point; I can't see an argument not to have an auto-fade button as well.

But those fade handles are kinda frisky as they are totally independent per clip, unlike the crossfading you can do in comp mode. Crossfadable clips - that'd be very Handy Andy.

deepndark 2012-08-29 06:28

The fades would be very very short, actually so short that can't hear you used it. Right now i need to take the snap off, zoom in and do the fades for both sides manually. One magic button would do it easily.

KingEternal 2012-08-29 09:27

It`s really not a big effort to do that manually though, is it?
What would be cool if I could draw the amplitude of audio clips directly into the clip by hand...

deepndark 2012-08-29 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingEternal (Post 1124380)
It`s really not a big effort to do that manually though, is it?
What would be cool if I could draw the amplitude of audio clips directly into the clip by hand...

It's annoying to do that TBH.