Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Electronic drums help!!!! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166398)

godinman6 2012-08-29 19:49

Electronic drums help!!!!

Trying to figure out if i can record my drums from an elctronic kit through reason and separate each drum for individual mixing? Please someone help Greatly appreciated thanks

hookiefree 2012-08-29 20:04

If you want to use the sounds from your e-kit you will need an audio interface with enough inputs to record each drum output separately. You can also use Reason to trigger the drum sounds and record the MIDI signal. Either way, you can mix each drum separately.

guitfnky 2012-08-29 21:55

if you're using the e-drums' MIDI to drive the sounds within Reason, you can definitely set it up to output to separate tracks. there are numerous ways to do this (simply creating tracks and routing the outputs of each kit piece to them, or exploding the MIDI notes to their individual note lanes, and routing from there, etc.). the best way to do this will depend on what you're looking to accomplish, and to a large degree, personal preference.

if you're looking to use the audio of the e-drums themselves, you'll need to do as hookiefree says and make sure you have an interface capable of handling enough inputs. you could overdub each kit piece one (or a few) at a time if you don't have enough interface inputs, but that is definitely not recommended.

godinman6 2012-08-29 23:58

ok would rather do it through midi do you guys know how i would go about it? i am a little confused

StormCanada 2012-08-30 19:01

You'd need to give a bit more info for others to help you out.

What kit is it?
Does it send MIDI through a MIDI cable or is there a USB cable? (Both will work but with different methods)
Do you know how to program what MIDI notes each pad is triggereing?
Which Reason device will you use for your sounds?
etc etc....

kloeckno 2012-08-30 20:19

Don't use the advanced midi device!!!!! Especially if you want to record midi!!!!

ryanmals 2012-08-30 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by hookiefree (Post 1124876)
You can also use Reason to trigger the drum sounds and record the MIDI signal.

Maybe I'm being dense here, but how could you do this without MIDI out?

hookiefree 2012-08-31 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanmals (Post 1125796)
Maybe I'm being dense here, but how could you do this without MIDI out?

I should have worded it differently, but I'm talking about using the E-kit as a controller in Reason the same way you use a keyboard controller.

guitfnky 2012-08-31 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by godinman6 (Post 1125085)
ok would rather do it through midi do you guys know how i would go about it? i am a little confused

first you'll have to make sure your MIDI interface and the signal going from your kit through the interface and to the computer is actually set up properly, so your computer can recognize the MIDI. you'll have to refer to your computer, MIDI interface, and electronic kit instructions in order to set them up.

then you've got to make sure your kit is sending information on the proper MIDI channel (the one that Reason is using - I think it defaults to channel 1 - your kit probably does too, so this is likely a non-issue).

then you'll have to figure out which sound module you want to use in reason (i.e. do you want a Redrum kit? Kong? an NNXT kit?). you'll have to make sure that your kit is set up so that the notes (pads) you're hitting are triggering the appropriate samples in whichever sound module you're using. if you're using the Reason Drum Kits 2.0 Refill, that should be pretty easy, since nearly everything should be mapped out accurately already. I've only ever dealt with RDK 2.0 though, so I can't really tell you how easy it is to set up a Redrum or Kong module for this.

like any complex piece of software, setup is often the most difficult part, but once you get it done, you shouldn't have to worry about it again.

not sure if that helps, but I hope it does! good luck!