Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is this what they call that "Reason sound"??? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166769)

EpiGenetik 2012-09-05 00:19

Is this what they call that "Reason sound"???
 
New tune released today mixed entirely in Reason, all vocal edits and processes done in Reason.

http://www.indabamusic.com/opportuni...issions/131197

It's actually a remix of a Barry Manilow track for a competition, so if you like it, then please be kind enough to cast a vote in it's direction. You can log in to vote via Facebook to vote, and you can also hit skip, when it asks for various permissions in FB, and it will still let you vote.

Sorry if the title is a little misleading, but I thought that it might get more views. Also no matter what way you look at it the thread title is valid. This was done in Reason to a very large extent.

Many thanks

djfm1983 2012-09-05 03:48

Post the thread in the music forum."The Music Forum is the place for discussion and feedback on your music and production."

EpiGenetik 2012-09-05 04:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by djphathead (Post 1130005)
Post the thread in the music forum."The Music Forum is the place for discussion and feedback on your music and production."

True but it's not the best for antagonising the "Reason sound-ers" :)

ProfessaKaos 2012-09-05 05:14

Sounds more like Ableton :)

djfm1983 2012-09-05 05:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpiGenetik (Post 1130032)
True but it's not the best for antagonising the "Reason sound-ers" :)

Yeah that's true also, you should've posted this in a thread where people were talking about "The Reason Sound".

EpiGenetik 2012-09-05 09:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by djphathead (Post 1130055)
Yeah that's true also, you should've posted this in a thread where people were talking about "The Reason Sound".

I may still consider it :D

MayorMcCheese 2012-09-05 09:55

Hey, you’re #38 out of 440 at the moment. Man, that kicks butt! I voted and got a big green checkmark. You should cut the first 0:44 and send it to Barry baby.

Edit: Hell, I got so wrapped up in the song that I forgot about your question. My answer is a big NO: that does not sound like the “Reason sound”. What are you using for that “big band” sound of horns and strings? Disco and/or Soul School? And are you using only Barry’s vocal stems? Man, you go stratospheric at around 2:50.

Lunesis 2012-09-05 10:03

Facebook, arghhhhh!!!

mac0123 2012-09-05 10:13

lol wtf !! hmmm if you realy want to prove the reason sound etc then you cant use sample based stuff thats been pre processed else where !! And did you master soley in the reason enviroment to ? If you had done a track using nothing but reason devices and also recorded the vocals yourself into reason and processed and masterd then this is valid yes? To me if you want to kill the reason sound argument thats ran for centurys is to use reason only to make and create using reason devices only. :).
And sorry if that sounds a little strong but if you want to go to war you must follow the rules of engagement :).

EpiGenetik 2012-09-05 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac0123 (Post 1130191)
lol wtf !! hmmm if you realy want to prove the reason sound etc then you cant use sample based stuff thats been pre processed else where !! And did you master soley in the reason enviroment to ? If you had done a track using nothing but reason devices and also recorded the vocals yourself into reason and processed and masterd then this is valid yes? To me if you want to kill the reason sound argument thats ran for centurys is to use reason only to make and create using reason devices only. :).
And sorry if that sounds a little strong but if you want to go to war you must follow the rules of engagement :).

Vocals horns and strings were the only thing that weren't mine actually, and the vocals were a completely dry stem, so I did all the processing on them, barring what sounded like ProTools-esque volume automation to even the levels, or a ludicrously transparent compressor.

You need to listen to the original track to see just how much has been added to it really.

The mix and mastering was completely in Reason too :)

Without wanting to sound like a complete dick though, I'll say this. The origin of the Reason sound argument, was actually that various trolls kept on saying that the "Reason Engine" wasn't capable of delivering quality tracks, i.e. you could put a full track in to an NN-19, and it would somehow sound deficient when bounced. Or let's say you stuck a whole bunch of stems into an NN-XT and just hit play; there was an argument that Reason's mix bus couldn't handle things the way Cubase/Logic/PT could (this argument started before Ableton even existed), so the argument wasn't about the quality of Reason's devices, it was a suggestion that Reason couldn't do the mix sums properly.

Oh man, that takes me back down memory lane :)


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 14:02.