Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT: Just read Ubik, What book next? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166773)

Dogboy1973 2012-09-05 02:29

OT: Just read Ubik, What book next?

I've just finished Phillip K Dick's Ubik. I mentioned this book in another thread & some forum members mentioned they had read it. Anyone got any recommendations for my next read? I'm looking for another good sci-fi book. Before Ubik I read The Forever War, which was excellent. Big fan of Arthur C.Clarke as well. So what next to fuel the imagination & inspire me? ;)

EpiGenetik 2012-09-05 02:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogboy1973 (Post 1129966)
I've just finished Phillip K Dick's Ubik. I mentioned this book in another thread & some forum members mentioned they had read it. Anyone got any recommendations for my next read? I'm looking for another good sci-fi book. Before Ubik I read The Forever War, which was excellent. Big fan of Arthur C.Clarke as well. So what next to fuel the imagination & inspire me? ;)

Might get this next after reading the Wiki synopsis, sounds like a cool concept.

Cheers

papercrane 2012-09-05 03:23

The Man In The High Castle followed by The Illuminatus! Trilogy

Dogboy1973 2012-09-05 03:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercrane (Post 1129994)
The Man In The High Castle

I came across this one in the iBooks store. Added to the shortlist ;)

JohnEh 2012-09-05 03:50

+1 for The Man in the High Castle

The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch is also quite a mind bending read.

Also Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is great.

KenPH 2012-09-05 05:15

EnochLight suggested Snow Crash, which was a great book!

Dogboy1973 2012-09-05 05:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenPH (Post 1130052)
EnochLight suggested Snow Crash, which was a great book!

Not read Snow Crash but I love 'The Diamond Age' by the same author.

am0eba 2012-09-05 06:57

All titles listed so far are great. Big fan of Snow Crash and Diamond Age.

Might I suggest some John Varley? Some of his stuff has been compared to Heinlein, if you're into that... Steel Beach, The Golden Globe, and John Varley Reader are where I'd start, in reverse order.

Very easy to read, and full of interesting ideas and situations. Not exactly mind-bending, the way P.K. Dick can be, but entertaining and thought-provoking.

edit: If Illuminatus! appeals to you, definitely check out "Schroedinger's Cat" by Robert Anton Wilson (co-author of Illuminatus!). This book is comprised of three inner "books", each of which has three sections, and each is a retelling of the same story (sort of), but with characters switching genders and roles between sections, and events playing out differently in each. Extremely mind-bending, and the author suggests that sections of the book can be read in any order!

"Entropy requires no maintenance - The Mgt."

_Dave_

SynapseAudio 2012-09-05 11:13

Kafka's "The Castle". The best book I've ever read that is not entertainment.

Richard

mrdr 2012-09-05 12:21

The man in the high castle
The three stigmata of Palmer Eldritch
Flow my tears, the policeman said
Now wait for last year
The divine invasion
Valis