Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Is it Possible to Download Upgrade from Reason 3 to Reason 6.5 After Buying It? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166869)

VikR 2012-09-06 20:40

Is it Possible to Download Upgrade from Reason 3 to Reason 6.5 After Buying It?

I'm trying to upgrade to Reason 6.5 from Reason 3. Looking at the Propellerhead shop, it seems like there's no option to just download the upgrade. It seems like I have to order the physical CD's and pay an extra $25.

Is there a way to just download the upgrade after buying it?

Thanks in advance to all for any info.

Spectrephonic 2012-09-06 20:45

Maybe I'm wrong but I think that the 6.5 "demo" version you can download here is just the full version, once you activate your ignition key or balance (that's the only hardware you'll need)

n0ahg 2012-09-06 21:14

Not from version 3 as you need the ignition key. As soon as you buy it you can download the demo and use internet authorisation until your ignition key turns up in the post.

SteveDiverse 2012-09-06 21:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrephonic (Post 1131448)
Maybe I'm wrong but I think that the 6.5 "demo" version you can download here is just the full version, once you activate your ignition key or balance (that's the only hardware you'll need)

That's correct, the demo version just refers to the mode you run it - once you register your license you can use internet verification, and once you write it to your key, you can use it with the key.

Note: you have to purchase a physical boxed version (unless you already have a key from record), because it contains the physical ignition key.

Also note the boxed version DVD will probably contain Reason 6, not 6.5, so you wouldn't want to install from the DVD, you'd want the current 6.5.1 download from the website.

There's other places to order it from without the $25 shipping, but buying online from Props you get the license on your account straight away as long as your current reason license is registered.

VikR 2012-09-06 21:49

Thanks for the info. I just ordered it from a convenient site and saved a few bucks. I wonder why Propellerhead doesn't let you just download without paying for shipping? Probably they are maintaining strong relationships with their resellers this way. It's good business practice.

n0ahg 2012-09-06 22:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by VikR (Post 1131525)
Thanks for the info. I just ordered it from a convenient site and saved a few bucks. I wonder why Propellerhead doesn't let you just download without paying for shipping? Probably they are maintaining strong relationships with their resellers this way. It's good business practice.

Because you need an ignition key which you don't currently have. There is a downloadable version for R+R/DUO owners as they already have an ignition key :)

VikR 2012-09-06 22:38

Oh okay. So it's part of the security that all ignition keys are attached to physical CDs rather than sent via email or shown on the website after purchase. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

n0ahg 2012-09-06 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by VikR (Post 1131585)
Oh okay. So it's part of the security that all ignition keys are attached to physical CDs rather than sent via email or shown on the website after purchase. Okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Ignition Key -> https://www.propellerheads.se/produc...e=ignition_key

VikR 2012-09-06 23:27

So it's a USB hardware key. This is a great way to address security.

reasoner498 2012-09-07 03:21

Just to throw this out there...

You don't "need" an ignition key. I was upgraded from Reason 3 to 6/6.5, and run with internet verification. At some point, I'll actually buy a key, but it isn't "required".

The Prop shop offers a download only version, but I don't know if it will let you add it to your cart without a version of Record registered. As already stated, there are lees expensive options for the boxed version.