Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pesky Ground Loop (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=166871)

cloudharbormusic 2012-09-06 20:48

Pesky Ground Loop (Need some advice!)

I've got a ground loop problem. Here's my setup: I have a home built desktop computer connected to the balance interface. Balance is then connected to two KRK rokit 6's via the headphone out and an unbalanced RCA to 1/8th inch cable with a trs adaptor at the end. I realize this may be the problem, but the confusing thing is that when I connect my laptop to balance with the same cable set up, the ground loop disappears. I also have two Asus monitors connected too. All of the power for the monitors, desktop, and speakers all go to a single power strip that I have connected to a normal power outlet.

If I used balanced cables (XLR to TRS), will this fix the problem? If not, Will I have to use unbalanced cables and run the monitors through a Ground Loop Isolator?
Thanks in advance for help, I'm quite frustrated, so any advice is helpful

normen 2012-09-06 20:50

Check that all your devices are on the same mains plug. A laptop often has no ground connection.

cloudharbormusic 2012-09-06 20:54

My power strip is a 3 prong connector, everything else that plugs into it also has 3 prongs. I'm probably doing a few things wrong here, what with the unbalanced cables and such. Could the motherboard be the problem? If i have balanced XLR to trs cables, there's also no ground loop isolators that take TRS cables,

cloudharbormusic 2012-09-06 21:29

Anyone who knows anything on this, please help!

normen 2012-09-06 21:31

Seems like one of your power sources is very dirty then, try unplugging them one after another. LCD display power bricks tend to be quite noisy. With "all your devices" I meant everything including your amp and/or active speakers etc. btw.

cloudharbormusic 2012-09-06 21:41

The building I'm in is pretty old, and not extremely well maintained. I'm in a college dorm. It's likely that the wall outlet itself it the problem. If that's the case, then why does my laptop not give me problems? Because it doesn't have a ground? My speakers both have 3 prongs and connect to the power strip with 3 prongs which then connects to the wall with three prongs too. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want me to do, but should I just go unplugging the monitors and see what happens?

An additional note, turning off my computer also stops the ground loop. So I'm almost certain it's coming from there.

normen 2012-09-06 22:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloudharbormusic (Post 1131516)
The building I'm in is pretty old, and not extremely well maintained. I'm in a college dorm. It's likely that the wall outlet itself it the problem. If that's the case, then why does my laptop not give me problems? Because it doesn't have a ground? My speakers both have 3 prongs and connect to the power strip with 3 prongs which then connects to the wall with three prongs too. Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you want me to do, but should I just go unplugging the monitors and see what happens?

An additional note, turning off my computer also stops the ground loop. So I'm almost certain it's coming from there.

Yeah, if its one of them (and else too probably) you could also get a power conditioner so you can separate the computer and monitors ground wise by putting them directly and the rest to the conditioner. You can also randomly connect grounds of the devices (at the audio/low voltage level) to check where the difference occurs. So e.g. plug a USB cable in your computer and touch the RCA ground of the speaker.

cloudharbormusic 2012-09-06 22:09

Alright then, I'll give that a shot along with getting some balanced cables and I'll let you know how it goes!

cloudharbormusic 2012-09-06 22:09

a side note, yes, I'm using two monitors

martinb98 2012-09-06 23:56

run your laptop off battery power in your system ( unplug laptop power ) , dose it go away ?
if it dose get a stereo DI with earth lift switch in between your audio out & audio in on your powered monitors
& flick the switch ( lift the earth )