Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   New PC running Reason (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=167204)

pmassey 2012-09-12 22:03

New PC running Reason

Hi,
I'm looking at buying a new desktop pc to run Reason but unsure which processor is best to use, AMD FX6200 or 8120, alternatively, an Intel i5 or i7. Any suggestions?
Thanks

sentient.minority 2012-09-12 22:08

Intel i7 all the way.

tincture 2012-09-12 22:15

I'd agree with that. Got an i5 and it's great but I'd go for the top spec next time.

pmassey 2012-09-12 22:17

FX8120 or i5-3570k no good? i7 slightly out of price range.

pmassey 2012-09-12 22:18

Sorry tincture didn't see your reply before posting my response.

SteveDiverse 2012-09-12 22:32

Check this tread for two things: (1) test your current computer, and (2) see what others get based on their computer specs - you'll see what you get between i7, i5, i3, AMD...

Also, FWIW, get as many core as you can afford (i.e., if you go with an i5 to save a little, don't get a 2-core i5).

With some of the REs, clock speed is also something to look for - get the highest clock speed you can afford.

64-bit OS allows you to access more than 4GB RAM, where I think 4GB is the minimum you want, 8GB or 16GB is even better.

Lastly, check your audio interface for compatibility with USB3 just to make sure you don't need a native USB2 for it to work.

charlycharlzz 2012-09-13 00:00

asus got cool i7 3770 with 16go ram, hard drive 7200rpm 1T and graphique card 2T !
I think they sell it for around 1000 dollars but I cannot remeber the exact model but it's ASUS Essentio series !
they got all you need but for the blu-ray and a ssd it would be 300 box above !

particlejunkie 2012-09-13 00:23

I dunno if you can still find sandybridge, but if you can, and they're cheaper than ivy bridge, I might do that. I mention it because you mentioned an intel "k" proc. if there's a "k" at the end of the model number it means the proc is unlocked for easier overclocking. The new 3xxx procs are worse for overclocking than the 2xxx series thanks to intel cheaping out on thermal regulation design, and they heat up quite a bit more. If you're going to overclock you're better off with previous generation, from what I've read.
I've never used amd CPUs but the general consensus seems to be that intel chips outperform them by a good deal. I5's are capable chips in their own right from what I've heard, tho an i7 should give you more headroom to work with. By how much tho, I couldn't say.

gwynebiau 2012-09-13 00:26

I don't know what your price range is, but I would also consider a Mac if you can afford one. They are more expensive than a lot of PCs, but in my experience in the last 5 years of using one I've found it to be higher quality, much more reliable, and simply a lot more enjoyable to use.

Really my heart lies in Free Software like Linux, and that's all I use for servers, but for software like Reason we have to choose between Windows and MacOS X, and comparing my experience over the last 5 years with my previous 15 years of experience with Windows, or even with my friends' experiences with Windows over the last 5 years, in my opinion there's no contest. :)

If you do consider a Mac, there are new laptops out right now, but there will probably be new iMacs released very soon, so if that's more what you're looking for you'll get more power for the same money if you can wait for 'em.

I'm sorry to inject useless information if you're really not interested in switching, but I try to promote Macs a bit because I really do believe they provide a better experience, and because we Mac users are still in the minority and we need to maintain or increase our numbers to keep or expand software support. I hope you understand. :)

If you stick with a PC, especially if you build it yourself, make sure you beat the hell out of it (virtually, not physically) while you still have time to return/exchange things to make sure that your particular set of components works well together and can handle what you want to run on it.

I can't tell you how many crashes I had due to conflicts between different hardware when I tried to put together PCs using the best parts I could find. They may all be great individually, but some things just don't play nice together...

Anyway, good luck with whatever you get! :)

EDIT: Oh yeah, I've preferred AMD for a long time in the face of the near monopoly Intel had, and although I can't vouch for their most recent processors, I would expect them to be a viable choice, and probably more affordable.

It sounds like Intel currently has a significant edge at least in some apps like games, but if your focus is Reason and other audio applications, make sure you talk to some AMD users or at least get a look at some relevant tests and reviews before dismissing them.

You should be aware though, there is apparently a bug currently affecting users of Reason on Windows 8 with at least some AMD processors. It's been mentioned on the forum, but I don't know how close it is to being fixed (or if it's been fixed by now). It shouldn't dissuade you from using an AMD processor, but it's something to check on anyway if you need that combination of hardware and software working immediately.

particlejunkie 2012-09-13 00:33

If an i7 is a bit out of budget, I don't know how a mac would be in the budget. I also have the opposite experience, used to be a mac user, but now I can get much better performance out of my PC for way cheaper.

Just wanted to note, that even if you do get an i7 (I have a 3770k), running some of the beefier RE's will gobble up your CPU cycles like nobody's business. One instance of Predator can cripple the system, depending on the patch used. I think there is currently a bit of a problem with the RE format's CPU usage.

Using stock Reason devices however, most any modern CPU will allow you to use endless amounts of devices.