Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Collaboration: Carl Grace (Some Desperate Glory) & Raymond Hayter (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=167224)

raymondh 2012-09-13 11:00

Collaboration: Carl Grace (Some Desperate Glory) & Raymond Hayter

Hi everyone

How lucky was I that Carl Grace liked one of my instrumental tunes, and he has put brilliant lyrics and vocals over a modified arrangement.

So here we have a collaboration across the Pacific Ocean - Auckland New Zealand and San Francisco California!

Here it is - hope you enjoy it, and would love to get any feedback:

http://soundcloud.com/raymondhayter/...ogression-song

Special thanks also to Propellerhead Support team for excellent service and problem solving with an issue causing some .reason file incompatibility between Carl and my systems!

cheers
Raymond

Joumb 2012-09-13 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by raymondh (Post 1135683)
Hi everyone

How lucky was I that Carl Grace liked one of my instrumental tunes, and he has put brilliant lyrics and vocals over a modified arrangement.

So here we have a collaboration across the Pacific Ocean - Auckland New Zealand and San Francisco California!

Here it is - hope you enjoy it, and would love to get any feedback:

http://soundcloud.com/raymondhayter/...ogression-song

Special thanks also to Propellerhead Support team for excellent service and problem solving with an issue causing some .reason file incompatibility between Carl and my systems!

cheers
Raymond

This is excellent guys, a natural collab!! :-). The old Roland stuff you've tagged on SC brings back memories, I remember being very pimply and sneaking into music shops trying to play the JX8P and then the D50. Great track!

billymcbride 2012-09-13 11:26

Nice job Raymond, nice job Carl! There is a great sound to all of the music, it all seems to work very well, as you both did in your collaboration. Best of luck with this track. I am beginning to think that with so much new music and retro music in our time, that our musical times have blended into a time without boundaries.

JiggeryPokery 2012-09-13 11:35

Ray/Carl (or Carl/Ray) ... (Rarl) ... (Cayl?)

That's spot-on guys. Love the arrangement, melodies and vocal harmonies. Proper retro synth-pop, with a modern feel.

ryszard 2012-09-13 11:54

Pet Shop Boys rule! No, wait--it's Carl and Ray!

Ray, I've loved that tune since you first posted it, and said so at the time. I never thought of it with vocals, but it's perfect. Thanks for sharing.

raymondh 2012-09-13 13:35

Ha ha you guys are too funny!!! Thanks for both the humour and the compliments!!

Matt - I've updated the tags to give credit to "Kings of Kong" refill - that's your TR909 bangin' away there!

thanks everyone :-)

cheers
Raymond

scoobyman 2012-09-13 16:08

Huge sound

I like that you start with the clean vocal off the top. Great chords and sound.

raymondh 2012-09-14 14:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobyman (Post 1135784)
I like that you start with the clean vocal off the top. Great chords and sound.

Thanks very much! Carl has a great voice.

Also worthy to note he helped me with the drum programming too.

Highly recommend collaborating - learned a lot in the process.

cheers
Raymond

ryszard 2012-09-14 14:32

Raymond, what's the tempo of that piece please?

raymondh 2012-09-14 14:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by billymcbride (Post 1135695)
Nice job Raymond, nice job Carl! There is a great sound to all of the music, it all seems to work very well, as you both did in your collaboration. Best of luck with this track. I am beginning to think that with so much new music and retro music in our time, that our musical times have blended into a time without boundaries.

Thanks Billy!

Interesting idea about the blending of musical times.

I think you're right. Here's one opinion;
In the 80's, the new wave and synth pop had a particular sound. Apart from the increased use of synths, there was a popular way of mixing - e.g. snare drums were louder in the mix, use of gated reverb etc.
In the 90's, there was a different sound - especially with the club music, lots of use of a louder kick drum (esp TR-909), etc.

In the 2000s we hear some other themes e.g. autotune on vocals.

What's different now, is that music is a lot more accessible - the technology is much more affordable and free(ish) music sharing platforms means people are getting all sorts of diverse music out there and heard, that would never of seen the light of day before. And communities like the Reason users, Soundcloud etc, are very, very supportive and encouraging to musicians who are finding their feet (good on you everyone!).

I think it's great that music that doesn't fit a formula can now get a global audience, and we all get to hear these new creative ideas.

Just my 2 cents :-)

cheers,
Raymond