Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Noobish question concerning collaboration (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=167605)

Nsher01 2012-09-19 06:21

Noobish question concerning collaboration

Howdy,

I'm working on my first cross-DAW collaboration with another producer, and am running into some difficulties that I thought I'd seek some help on. He's using Ableton, I'm using Reason 6.5.

We've been working on a tune for awhile, passing elements back and forth and what not. At this point, the tune is almost finished and I'm going to take one last stab and cleaning things up and making some tweaks. He had just finished up making his changes. What I currently have are all the tracks bounced down to wavs. I'd like to make some small edits to some tracks, and others I probably won't touch at all. I do want to mix them all together and do some mastering work.

I'm pretty confused on how to approach this as I've never dealt with this situation before. How do I go about organizing all of these tracks (many finished) in Reason? I guess I could recycle all of the wav files and load each one as a REX, but this seems a bit clunky. Is there a better way that anybody knows of? Any way to just group and run the tracks that I'm not making any changes to?

Big thanks for any help!

platzangst 2012-09-19 07:22

I guess it's unclear to me what you mean by "organizing" these tracks, and exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish. Are you talking about tracks you already have in Reason? Tracks you want to import into Reason? Export? Why would you need to ReCycle any WAV file when you can just put it in as its own audio track? Do you want to bounce down a number of tracks to a simple stereo audio track? That can be done. But honestly, it's difficult to offer any definitive advice since your goal is a bit vague at the moment...

Nsher01 2012-09-19 07:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by platzangst (Post 1140187)
I guess it's unclear to me what you mean by "organizing" these tracks, and exactly what it is you're trying to accomplish. Are you talking about tracks you already have in Reason? Tracks you want to import into Reason? Export? Why would you need to ReCycle any WAV file when you can just put it in as its own audio track? Do you want to bounce down a number of tracks to a simple stereo audio track? That can be done. But honestly, it's difficult to offer any definitive advice since your goal is a bit vague at the moment...

Thanks for the feedback. Apologies if I'm not communicating my intent very well. It's entirely possible that I'm turning a very simple issue into a complicated one due to my own inexperience.

Yes, I want to bounce down a bunch of tracks into a simple stereo audio track.

EpiGenetik 2012-09-19 07:28

I'm kinda the same as Platzangst, in that I feel I need a bit more info on what you're trying to achieve.

Do you wish to group the tracks for mixing? Or are you just meaning in terms of housekeeping so the file is easy to work with?

ReCycle? Why?

Cheers

EpiGenetik 2012-09-19 07:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nsher01 (Post 1140188)
Thanks for the feedback. Apologies if I'm not communicating my intent very well. It's entirely possible that I'm turning a very simple issue into a complicated one due to my own inexperience.

Ok, just import all the tracks via the File menu.

platzangst 2012-09-19 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nsher01 (Post 1140188)

Go to FILE> Bounce Mixer Tracks, and you can select which tracks to bounce and a number of other options (with/without FX, for example). Should be a piece of cake.

Nsher01 2012-09-19 07:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpiGenetik (Post 1140190)
I'm kinda the same as Platzangst, in that I feel I need a bit more info on what you're trying to achieve.

Do you wish to group the tracks for mixing? Or are you just meaning in terms of housekeeping so the file is easy to work with?

ReCycle? Why?

Cheers

Thanks as well.

Yeah, I guess ignore the Recycle comment if you can. That was just random brainstorming. Not a good idea.

I am trying to group the tracks for mixing. Other tracks I'm going to edit and rearrange, but there are several that I don't want to change at all. My confusion is how to put it all together; the tracks that I just want to load into Reason and make no changes too, along with my edits.

Does this make more sense?

Nsher01 2012-09-19 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by platzangst (Post 1140193)
Go to FILE> Bounce Mixer Tracks, and you can select which tracks to bounce and a number of other options (with/without FX, for example). Should be a piece of cake.

Will try it out. Thanks!

Nsher01 2012-09-19 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by EpiGenetik (Post 1140191)
Ok, just import all the tracks via the File menu.

Nice, that's all it was. First time for everything...

Thanks for your help and patience guys.