Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Triggering a delay with Echo (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=167750)

monks 2012-09-22 01:08

Triggering a delay with Echo

Hi, I'm trying to add an echo to the last little bit of a track- the last word in the vocals.I'm setting up the Echo with two automation lanes. One with enable and with trigger. Just before the trigger is set to on via Enable, I enable the device then trigger, but there seems to be a drop out in the vocals. It doesn't seem to make any difference how I position the automation. Is there any way of avoidiing that?

monks

kdagsjm 2012-09-22 01:44

Hey monks, can u set it up as a send, have it running the whole time, then just automate the vol on the return up from 0 for during the period you want it running?

monks 2012-09-22 02:30

Hi kdag, Volume is the other option I considered. Would I just set up an automation lane up for volume on the Echo? Reading the help files now...;)

monks

monks 2012-09-22 02:37

Nice one kdag! Worked straight away with automation on the wet/dry mix. :))

Thanks!
monks

Dave909 2012-09-22 03:27

Automation is one way to do it. Another method which i find myself using is just cutting out the portion of the vocal i want the delay on and put it on another track and add delay thru send on it. No fiddling with automation and stuff :)

monks 2012-09-22 03:45

Thanks Dave. that's the way I used to do it in CuBase but I'm trying to teach myself new things this time around, getting to grips with routing, sends, etc, (always try to avoid wires of any kind!) so the sends and automation is up the right path ;)

monks

Dave909 2012-09-22 03:48

Yeah, it´s ofcourse useful to learn routing and using the mixer :) I´m using the shortcut methods usually, lazy lol :D

monks 2012-09-22 03:58

Ha!...yessss lazy!..but then it's so difficult to do everything yourself..- and when you're trying to get a track down while the inspiration is on you or whatever- you don't want to have to go into CuBase help files for ages and learn how to do something new like piddle about with an automation pencil (that can't be how you make music surely?!) only to come back to the track needing head surgery.. Anyway, I *think* my puter prefers it if I don't create too many audio tracks.

marc64 2012-09-22 13:21

You can also use a sidechaining compressor to let the vocal itself duck the echo, And when the vocal ends the echo starts...

But the easiest way is to cut out the part you want echo on to a separate lane and process it there...

Dave909 2012-09-22 13:50

Yeah, it is pretty difficult to be a master of everything all the time indeed. Alot of the stuff indeed doesn't seem like making music but more like being an industrial engineer. That's why i usually take the shortcut and go the easy route just to have it done quickly and focus on the bigger picture instead. I'm on Reason since v1 so i can say it has few secrets for me now. But it is important to know each option and being able to choose which approach to use for sure :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by monks (Post 1142195)
Ha!...yessss lazy!..but then it's so difficult to do everything yourself..- and when you're trying to get a track down while the inspiration is on you or whatever- you don't want to have to go into CuBase help files for ages and learn how to do something new like piddle about with an automation pencil (that can't be how you make music surely?!) only to come back to the track needing head surgery.. Anyway, I *think* my puter prefers it if I don't create too many audio tracks.