Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Competition entry (my first time singing!) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=167751)

Pat303 2012-09-22 01:20

Competition entry (my first time singing!)

Just finished my entry into the monthly Basschat music competition:

Loading SoundCloud…

I went very much 'off piste' with this and did something very different to my usual wobbly electronic stuff.

Used a bunch of natural field recordings for the various water and wildlife noises. Also sampled a few toy instruments from Skol Jnr's collection (Baby Rattle ReFill coming soon…!). The very minimal bassline was recorded live; as are the vocals. In fact this is the first time I've ever recorded myself singing. It could also be the last O_o

Mixed on headphones (as always with me), so I'd be interested to know how it sound thru your own systems. Thanks!

billymcbride 2012-09-22 02:45

That's a nice studio environment you've got! You did a good job, good luck with during the competition.

rlubeck 2012-09-22 10:14

Nice job Patty, sounds very indie-movie-esque, with a chill mood and interesting vocals.
Speaking of vocals, for your first time, they're really good and sit well in the track, unlike those vox from a certain someone else on this board *whistles*.

The mosquito-loaded waterstream might be a bit too loud at the start and tend to cause some bladder-activity when you've had a few drinks already.

Lunesis 2012-09-22 10:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlubeck (Post 1142318)
The mosquito-loaded waterstream might be a bit too loud at the start and tend to cause some bladder-activity when you've had a few drinks already.

I thought that was the point? Not quite an emotional movement but close.

Quote:

Speaking of vocals, for your first time, they're really good and sit well in the track, unlike those vox from a certain someone else on this board *whistles*.

Wow, jeeze.. I didn't think I was that bad :p

rlubeck 2012-09-22 11:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunesis (Post 1142334)
Not quite an emotional movement but close.

Being triggered by sounds of water to pee when loaded up with coffee and/or beer can be a very emotional movement thank you very much. Sometimes I cry. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunesis (Post 1142334)
Wow, jeeze.. I didn't think I was that bad :p

You're not that bad. *moment of silence*

But I wasn't talking about you /whisper

scoobyman 2012-09-22 15:17

The choice of sounds worked really well together. Thought your voice sounded fine. Wouldn't even have thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Pat303 2012-09-23 23:04

Thanks for the comments y'all!

Quote:

Originally Posted by billymcbride (Post 1142101)
That's a nice studio environment you've got!

Cheers Billy and thanks for the well wishes. My studio environment is actually very humble, but glad it sounds ok.

Quote:

Nice job Patty, sounds very indie-movie-esque, with a chill mood and interesting vocals... The mosquito-loaded waterstream might be a bit too loud at the start and tend to cause some bladder-activity when you've had a few drinks already.

Thanks 'Beck, really appreciate the feedback. It's definitely not recommended listening when the drinks have been long but the journey to the toilet even longer ;-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoobyman (Post 1142522)
The choice of sounds worked really well together. Thought your voice sounded fine. Wouldn't even have thought about it if you hadn't mentioned it.

Thanks Scooby. I'm a very self-conscious singer... my repertoire is no more than singing karaoke once, while drunk... so good to know it doesn't sound as bad as I imagine. I might even break out the mic again in future.

Thanks also, Brent, for the feedback on SoundCloud. Muchas gracias amigo!

Dave909 2012-09-23 23:52

You should! Really digg your style. Sounds very good. You should expand on the singing :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat303 (Post 1143313)
so good to know it doesn't sound as bad as I imagine. I might even break out the mic again in future.

mastertonyd 2012-09-24 00:44

Love the production on this! It sounded great on my system!

vernon22 2012-09-24 05:11

Man.. Pat303 this is hot! I really enjoyed this song!