Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Reaktor/MaxMSP -like Reason Device (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=167916)

frizzlo 2012-09-25 04:26

Reaktor/MaxMSP -like Reason Device

I'm sure this has already been mentioned before, but I thought I'd also make a thread on it as more discussions will make the suggestion more popular in general.

If there was either some way of getting Native Instruments (Reaktor) or Cycling 74 (Max/MSP) to make a rack extension version of their product, that would be ace!
Or even better, if Propellerhead developed their own semi-modular creative patching device for Reason, seeing as they've done well making all the other devices, I trust them to do well making this one too.

Seeing as Reason's most well known feature (CV and audio routing) has made it popular as a sound design toolbox, this is the only feature thats missing to make reason complete on the sound design aspect.

I hope we see this in Reason 7, it would be most appreciated. Oh and a cool name would be something like Repatch or Apache. They work well! And I'll let you have the names without any copyright issue :]

gallob 2012-09-25 11:57

After the significant problems introduced in Live by the inclusion of Max (Max4Live), I think the Props won't be into this sort of thing. They have enough problems already with REs as is...
Also, if you give users the ability to make their own devices in Max/Reaktor, how are they going to make any money selling REs? A parallel market would emerge where people skilled in Max/Reaktor would start selling their own creations/patches bypassing the SDK and the Prop Shop. Not going to happen...

NMRosta 2012-09-25 16:50

Yes!!!!!!!!!

rogerlevy 2012-09-25 16:56

Dude, c'mon, there's already a Reaktor thread like 3 lines down....

frizzlo 2012-09-27 04:51

@gallob very true, i didn't take that in to consideration. I guess we can't have everything :(

frizzlo 2012-09-27 04:52

@rogerlevy Yeh I know, i just wanted to make the feature more popular so props are more likely to respond to it, but after what gallob said, maybe the idea isn't so great

rogerlevy 2012-09-27 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by frizzlo (Post 1145148)
@rogerlevy Yeh I know, i just wanted to make the feature more popular so props are more likely to respond to it, but after what gallob said, maybe the idea isn't so great

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_eYSuPKP3Y

ShelLuser 2012-09-27 10:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by frizzlo (Post 1143935)
If there was either some way of getting Native Instruments (Reaktor) or Cycling 74 (Max/MSP) to make a rack extension version of their product, that would be ace!

I'm not too sure about that to be honest. That is; I'm not too sure that it will actually be as beneficial as you think it to be.

I actually have both a Max (/MSP/Jitter) license as well as a "Max for Live" ("m4l") license which basically provides what you're aiming at here: the environment (Max in this case) 'embedded' in the DAW (in this case Live obviously).

Sure, it has its advantages. In this particular case the option to build whatever Live device you want. Whether its an instrument, MIDI or audio effect; its all possible. And obviously nothing stops you from using any device "class" to simply build something completely different. A tool or utility for example.

But to be quite honest; when I'm building patches, even the ones I actually use (or have used) with my sound designs (from a scope to a tone generator to specific FX effects) I'm not doing sound design. I'm building a program. There is a huge difference to keep in mind.

Quite frankly I can't help feel that an environment such as Reason would benefit a whole lot more from devices (RE's ?) which provide more control over the stuff you can do than throwing a whole programming environment at it. I think its overkill and in the end bound to actually divert your attention away from what its all about.

Another possible nasty side effect is stability. We have already seen that a RE can crash (though it doesn't take down Reason as a whole). But when you allow low level access in the DAW itself?

Believe me: that can and will result in crashes. With environments like that there's only so much you can do to protect the host.

Besides; its not as if you can't use these environments today if you want to. I mean; what is stopping you from picking up a Max license (and learning it of course), then rewiring Reason into your Max patch to have it fully sculpt your Reason setup ?

I've done this a couple of times myself and its perfectly doable.

So if you feel this to be a key feature; what's stopping you ?

charlycharlzz 2012-09-27 16:30

The name should be:
(Ohm'Less Evil) or (Titan Eurym├ędon) 1st title is a resident evel metaphore and 2nd is prometheus one
hooray'K for the Eureka sitcom or the virtual sentisynth 6 from the famous tom 6 movie humain centipede lol!

juste idears and free of use 2 for propellerheads only !