Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Music Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Finished Track "Provenance" (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=168070)

hcvaugha 2012-09-28 08:50

Finished Track "Provenance"

Hey guys. Been using Reason 6 for several months and loving it. Recently acquired soundcell's Afterglow refill and was inspired to make this song, please give it a listen and feedback of any sort will be most appreciated.

Also please feel free to like my FB page here as I'll be coming out with a lot of new stuff in the coming weeks: https://www.facebook.com/antitheticism

Loading SoundCloud…

snakeofjune 2012-09-28 14:24

Nice vibe and I really liked the space in the mix. I thought the intro was a little long as there weren't many elements on the go and not a lot of development in the sound. I found myself waiting for the next section. Perhaps give 'clues' about what's coming just to keep the listener guessing. The second section was a nice step up. I thought the ride was a little high in the mix although I do love a good ride cymbal!
I like all the elements you have but I think that it needs a lot more development. Just my taste and it does depend what you expect your listener to be doing - but even if you just want them to space out there's got to be a bunch of stuff happening for them to space out to. hope that helps - good vibe on the track though.

hcvaugha 2012-09-28 16:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by snakeofjune (Post 1145823)
Nice vibe and I really liked the space in the mix. I thought the intro was a little long as there weren't many elements on the go and not a lot of development in the sound. I found myself waiting for the next section. Perhaps give 'clues' about what's coming just to keep the listener guessing. The second section was a nice step up. I thought the ride was a little high in the mix although I do love a good ride cymbal!
I like all the elements you have but I think that it needs a lot more development. Just my taste and it does depend what you expect your listener to be doing - but even if you just want them to space out there's got to be a bunch of stuff happening for them to space out to. hope that helps - good vibe on the track though.

Thanks so much for your feedback! I do know what you're referring to in regards to sound development as it was actually intentional. I wanted the song to be as laid back as possible with minimal manipulations in the different instruments. But I've been getting positive feedback and you're the second person to mention this so I might go back and phase in some stuff.

Regarding the ride...I guess I can turn it down a little. I like how it's sort of dominant on the percussive side.

snakeofjune 2012-09-28 18:10

Yeah, it's a difficult thing because I really like stuff where very little 'happens' in the pop sense. I think though, to get people to listen to literally the same thing over and over it's got to be something amazing and the production has to be exceptional - totally engaging. It's a difficult call. I just think you need some very small shifts with what you already have. as you say, you don't want to ruin the mood or change what you're aiming for.

I think that as for the ride, I also agree that having something really upfront can be great but then I think you need more other layers behind it that it 'sits on'. Otherwise it doesn't just sound upfront, it sounds disjointed. Also with the layers, if you have something upfront that's quite dry, you can put increasing amounts of reverb on the layers which go into the background and that kind of makes it sit. That's just my view anyway. good tune though. :)

onemadmanc 2012-09-30 21:26

music to my ears that hcvaugha kinda tranced me out and made me feel chilled ,your sound quality is very good

hcvaugha 2012-10-01 22:34

Awesome, that's what I like to hear!