Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   reason key mapping for sequencers and rack back? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=168212)

soundwarrior20 2012-09-30 20:01

reason key mapping for sequencers and rack back?

hey all i'm trey from england and i'm totaly blind. i have some reason keyboard shortcut questions. firstly how much of reason can be controled by keyboard shortcuts? And how customisable are key maps in reason? also can you use keyboard shortcuts to control patching and what goes on round the back of the rack? and can you use keyboard shortcuts to Control all of reasons sequencers?

Your help with these questions would be most welcome.

respect and blessings sound warrior.

EpiGenetik 2012-10-01 08:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundwarrior20 (Post 1147031)
hey all i'm trey from england and i'm totaly blind. i have some reason keyboard shortcut questions. firstly how much of reason can be controled by keyboard shortcuts? And how customisable are key maps in reason? also can you use keyboard shortcuts to control patching and what goes on round the back of the rack? and can you use keyboard shortcuts to Control all of reasons sequencers?

Your help with these questions would be most welcome.

respect and blessings sound warrior.

Hi Trey,

Firstly I'm lucky enough to be fully sighted, so I apologise if I miss anything and appear inconsiderate.

I must assume that you are using a support system built into your OS that will relay a lot of otherwise inaccessible info to you via audio - so if this is the case, can you please give us an idea of what exactly that will add that can be of use to you. I imagine that it must be telling you what options are available in dropdown menu's etc. If it does then we can work from there.

Most of Reasons front panel switches are accessible from both QWERTY and Midi keyboards, but most of the main sampler device the NN-XT are not, due to average CPU constraints at the time the device was designed. However the NN-19 sampler which carries most of the required features does have this available. Sampling in general I have to imagine a blind person would struggle with though, as there is so much of it that requires visibility - although that depends in large part to what support your PC can give you.

The back of the rack and patching is dealt with by smart autorouting for basics, and then the GUI for more technical. It depends on what exactly you want to do, but a great many features are accessible from a Combinator, which is a device that sits above the others in the routing hierarchy, and can contain many subdevices and custom settings, which can then be mapped to master controls really easily. 2 big features are not available in this fashion and will require patching in the back of the rack, these are envelopes and LFO's, which if being added from other devices must be patched directly, and this might not be too easy. Patch cables can be assigned to a destination port via a dropdown menu, but I'm not sure how you would go about selecting the port which you wish to send from, as this is typically done via the GUI.

All in all, you should have a look at the Reason demo, which will give you a better idea of how to do things.

Any problems, feel free to PM me and I'll try and help, but please bear in mind that I work crazy shifts and may sometimes take a while to get back, occasionally this could be like up to 8 days!

Cheers

gwynebiau 2012-10-01 10:02

It may be possible, but I don't know of a way to fully program devices and combinators, or to move cables around without the use of a mouse. You can open existing patches and control some other important functions with keyboard shortcuts though, and from what I can tell there are only a few things that you can't map controls to (the source, destination and scale in Thor's Mod Matrix and the Programmer section of a Combinator are two I can't find a way to map, although you may be able to find some way to use them).

If you could get things mapped to a control surface using a method where the physical controls were always mapped to the same virtual controls in each device, you could probably learn them and have pretty extensive control of Reason. With a keyboard alone, making a lot of adjustments to devices might be difficult.

One thing that might help with the cable routing though is that if you can get the cursor onto a plug and right click, it brings up a list of everything that you can connect it to. If you can find a way to access and navigate those lists, you should actually be able to route signals fine. I just don't know whether or not you'll be able to get focus on those elements of the interface. You just have to hit Tab to get to the back of the rack, but I don't know of a way to get to a specific plug from the keyboard. I hope that other software you have could make it possible though.

Please take what I've said with a grain of salt. Other than a few minutes trying to figure out how to help you, I've never tried to use Reason without being able to see it. If there's a community of blind musicians somewhere on the internet, and I would hope that there is since music is something you can make and appreciate with or without sight, they could probably give you more help than I can. Hopefully someone who reads this forum will be able to give some good advice though.

My main suggestions would be to determine whether or not you'd be happy using a physical controller mapped in Reason to control a lot of the settings, and probably to just download the demo and see if you can make sense of it.

This page might help you too. It talks about mapping keys to the transport functions. It was created back when Reason 4 was the latest version though, so the PDF of shortcuts it links to is probably not complete for the current version.

I hope this helps, and I hope that Reason will work for you. Good luck! :)

soundwarrior20 2012-10-01 22:52

hey all thanks for your help you've been brill i allreddy red the document suggested to me and it was very useful! for thoughs of you who are interested heres a link to the screen reeder i will be using with reason:

www.serotek.com

thanks for your help and look out for my thread about controling reason with 2 controllers at the same time blessings sound warrior!!