Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   error - system running too slow (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=168368)

bobby769 2012-10-03 20:24

error - system running too slow
 
Hello Everyone.

Recently I've started to create more complex and layered sounds and have been getting an error message that says something about the system running too slow.

This seems to happen when I'm running 3 or more instances of Subtractor in the Combinator.

I imagine the same would happne if it were Thor or the Maelstrom.
I'm running Win 7 pro on a Dell w/ a 1st gen i5 and 4gigs of RAM.
The sound card is on board.

I'm specing out a new laptop and am wondering if I should look at one that offers a sound card that is not onboard. I doubt it's the proc or RAM that's causing the issue.

Thanks.

Grumbleweed 2012-10-03 20:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby769 (Post 1148853)
Hello Everyone.

Recently I've started to create more complex and layered sounds and have been getting an error message that says something about the system running too slow.

This seems to happen when I'm running 3 or more instances of Subtractor in the Combinator.

I imagine the same would happne if it were Thor or the Maelstrom.
I'm running Win 7 pro on a Dell w/ a 1st gen i5 and 4gigs of RAM.
The sound card is on board.

I'm specing out a new laptop and am wondering if I should look at one that offers a sound card that is not onboard. I doubt it's the proc or RAM that's causing the issue.

Thanks.

You could increase the latency to use less cpu but an i5 should be able to handle quite a lot of "old" Reason devices without crying about it. An "onboard" soundcard doesn't sound particularly sexy but you should at least try to use ASIO drivers (e.g. ASIO4ALL) to try to get the best out of your system.

Grum.

bobby769 2012-10-03 21:05

Yeah, I'm using ASIO Drivers.
I've heard that increasing latency comes w/ it's own issues.
Have I heard incorrectly?

Also, your comment about onboard sound cards lacking sex appeal, so does that mean that it's better to have a discreet card?

So far I've only looked at Dell and I can't find any of their laptops that allow for upgraded sound cards.

TYVM for your input.

Grumbleweed 2012-10-03 22:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby769 (Post 1148881)
Yeah, I'm using ASIO Drivers.
I've heard that increasing latency comes w/ it's own issues.
Have I heard incorrectly?

Also, your comment about onboard sound cards lacking sex appeal, so does that mean that it's better to have a discreet card?

So far I've only looked at Dell and I can't find any of their laptops that allow for upgraded sound cards.

TYVM for your input.

Increasing latency isn't great for live recording but it'll do wonders for your device count :). It won't hurt anything if you do increase it.
If you are using high bit/sample rates that'll hurt your cpu as well.

Onboard soundcards are not in the same league as a dedicated (external) audio interface - that's why they exist.

Grum.

bobby769 2012-10-04 18:18

Fortunately (I think) i'm not quite ready to subject anyone to a live performance.
:-)

I'll try messing around w/ the latency settings as you suggested.
I also started looking into sound card upgrades and it looks like Creative inc is really my only option. I've heard that MAudio would be the way to go but it looks like they don't make laptop sound cards.

Grumbleweed 2012-10-04 22:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobby769 (Post 1149383)
Fortunately (I think) i'm not quite ready to subject anyone to a live performance.
:-)

I'll try messing around w/ the latency settings as you suggested.
I also started looking into sound card upgrades and it looks like Creative inc is really my only option. I've heard that MAudio would be the way to go but it looks like they don't make laptop sound cards.

If you have USB ports any external soundcard that uses USB connection is available for your pleasure. Think outside of the box ;).

Grum.


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 07:09.