Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   A hopeful question, and a hearty hello. (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=168925)

GoldenHermit 2012-10-13 13:30

A hopeful question, and a hearty hello.

Hi folks,

New here, but plan to stick around.

I've recently bought an old copy of Reason 3.0 with the intention to upgrade to ~6.5 when my meagre budget can afford it.

I'm in Australia, and I'm waiting for the discs to ship from the US. Going on past experience with this kind of thing, it could potentially take 5-6 weeks to get here.

However, the licence has already been transferred over to me.

So, I'm really keen to get this program fired up - even though it's an earlier version, I plan to crank it like it's Reason 30. Is there a surviving link to a legitimate Reason 3 demo (if such a thing has ever existed) that I can then just download and activate?

I had the idea of installing the 3.04 update, but that still requires the sound banks. I don't need replacement discs, as the originals are arriving sometime in the hopefully-not-too-distant-future.

I may be coming across as impatient, but I'm sure the community here can understand how I'm just itching to get creative right now.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway, after lurking for a couple of days, it's nice to finally say hello.

Cheers

Djstarski 2012-10-13 13:44

welcome ,

have you tried asking propellerhead if there is a link they know of , being thats its there software .

GoldenHermit 2012-10-13 13:48

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm not sure what you mean. This is the Propellerhead forum is it not? Or is this forum moderated only by users?

nhsh 2012-10-13 14:05

Hi Golden, it's the weekend, I don't think Propellerheads staff are on the forum or strapped into their tech support pods.

I have the Windows Reason 304 demo. It's 65MB. I seem to recall it offered 20 minute timeout trials, which was great for getting the feel of the program and hurriedly making madcap experiments. Let's give it until the end of the day, if no-one else points you to a safe demo link online, I can send you a private message with a link to download it.

emotica 2012-10-13 14:06

I think, rather contacting support directly. (Which isn't active on weekends though.)

The forums are more or less community driven, while you occasionally will see PH staff members posting here too.

Back when I was about to come back to Reason after a break, I was lucky to find a demo of Reason 4 again. (For some weird reason I was more comfortable using the last version I knew, than using the latest demo available directly from Propellerhead.)

As long as it's the official demo version still available somewhere, there shouldn't be any issues. Fingers crossed.

MayorMcCheese 2012-10-13 14:14

You have to have the discs to get R3 cranked up for the first time; only the R3 updates are available on the Download page. However, you can download the R6.5.1 free demo right now: https://www.propellerheads.se/download/reason/ and get well versed in R6.5. You can’t open any files you save with the demo, but you can open all of the Demo Songs and analyze them and then work with the devices to do what you learn. That’s about a 6 weeks job in itself (OK, kidding just a bit maybe).

I take it that you bought R3 in order to get the R6.5 upgrade for $169, so forget about using R3 if you plan to go to R6.5. Since you have to wait for the R3 disc anyway, start digging some clams and get the $169 bucks in the next 5-6 weeks to get 6.5.1. You’ll be glad you did, and the R3 disc will make a nice coaster for the coffee table.

GoldenHermit 2012-10-13 14:24

Thank you, nhsh.

65MB... not all there I guess... 20 minute timeout trials... Hmmm.

Do you know if activation is possible with this demo? I'm happy to use free refills and my own found sounds while I wait for the discs to arrive. But if activation is not possible, please don't trouble yourself any further. Hey, I appreciate it though.

Also, the end of the day has already arrived for me, so I may not reply for several hours while muh weary bones are restin'.

Edit: Thanks also emotica and MayorMcCheese.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorMcCheese (Post 1154976)
I take it that you bought R3 in order to get the R6.5 upgrade for $169, so forget about using R3 if you plan to go to R6.5. Since you have to wait for the R3 disc anyway, start digging some clams and get the $169 bucks in the next 5-6 weeks to get 6.5.1. You’ll be glad you did, and the R3 disc will make a nice coaster for the coffee table.

Absolutely :D

nhsh 2012-10-13 14:50

Yeah unlike the latest version demo, the R3 demo only has a subset of the sound banks, is non-activable and is save disabled. If ultimately you will be upgrading to the latest version, I agree you should heed the Mayor's advice.

reasoner498 2012-10-13 22:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenHermit
I've recently bought an old copy of Reason 3.0 with the intention to upgrade to ~6.5 when my meagre budget can afford it.

Hello GoldenHermit.

If you're interested, I have a for-sale thread up for a copy of Reason Essentials that will upgrade your Reason 3 license to Reason 6/6.5.l.

I'm asking $75+shipping(USD), and the only thing you won't have is the USB key, so you'll need to run with internet verification, or buy a key from the Prop Shop or from somebody with an extra one.

And so you know... I upgraded a copy of Reason 3 this way, but not with this Essentials license. I have 2 Essentials licenses, and used 1 for an upgrade, and am now selling the extra license.

Also, if you upgrade this way, all of the licensing will be handled electronically through Propellerhead, which means you can start using R6/6.5 immediately (following license transfer) via the downloaded version.

Here's the thread...

https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/...d.php?t=168633

GoldenHermit 2012-10-14 06:32

Okay, I've just taken a giant step and purchased the Reason 6.5 upgrade from the site.

I'll be digging clams just to feed myself, but I could lose a couple of kilos anyway.

I want to extend an apology to reasoner498 for Umming and Ahhing at his fantastic offer, only to decline at the last minute. I feel like a bit of a dick for doing that... sorry.

I just feel - for my circumstances - it is important for me to have the ignition key.

Okay, I'm off now to boot into Windows and install this baby.

Thank you all for your kind advice, offers and suggestions.

See you on the other side.