Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Kong Sounds In Redrum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=168994)

CeriJC 2012-10-14 19:45

Kong Sounds In Redrum

Yes, I know there is a workaround of using the CV outs of a Redrum to a Kong and then removing the track of the Kong in the sequencer. I know you can save this setup in a Combinator and disable notes being sent to the Kong, to save having to do this every time. In fact, I have one setup this very way in my default rack!

I am not suggesting a visual overhaul of Re-drum, or changing it like the Dr. Rex->Dr. Octo Rex; I appreciate what a significant change that would be, for a relatively little benefit.

All I am suggesting, however, is a tweak to allow you to select any Kong 'sound' that you have created previously to be loaded into one of the Re-Drum channels. I would envisage all editing/sound creation to still have to be done in Kong. I have spent a lot of time making a library of "single hits" and it'd be nice to be able to avoid having to make the distinction of only being able to use them in one of the two main percussive devices.

Thanks for your consideration, Ceri.

djant16 2012-10-14 20:25

Ever used sampling? You can load samples from kong in redrum.

TheFatControlleR 2012-10-14 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by djant16 (Post 1155627)
You can load samples from kong in redrum.

Yep. Just go to a vacant Redrum channels, click on the browse sample icon, then go into the Kong folder in the FSB. There you'll find all the native Kong kit samples, and more.

jlgrimes 2012-10-14 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeriJC (Post 1155609)
Yes, I know there is a workaround of using the CV outs of a Redrum to a Kong and then removing the track of the Kong in the sequencer. I know you can save this setup in a Combinator and disable notes being sent to the Kong, to save having to do this every time. In fact, I have one setup this very way in my default rack!

I am not suggesting a visual overhaul of Re-drum, or changing it like the Dr. Rex->Dr. Octo Rex; I appreciate what a significant change that would be, for a relatively little benefit.

All I am suggesting, however, is a tweak to allow you to select any Kong 'sound' that you have created previously to be loaded into one of the Re-Drum channels. I would envisage all editing/sound creation to still have to be done in Kong. I have spent a lot of time making a library of "single hits" and it'd be nice to be able to avoid having to make the distinction of only being able to use them in one of the two main percussive devices.

Thanks for your consideration, Ceri.

It makes sense. I think Redrum would need a serious GUI overhaul though.

CeriJC 2012-10-15 23:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheFatControlleR (Post 1155655)
Yep. Just go to a vacant Redrum channels, click on the browse sample icon, then go into the Kong folder in the FSB. There you'll find all the native Kong kit samples, and more.

Sorry, I can see how you can load .wavs that way, but I don't think you can load .drum sounds. I meant I would like to be able to load all the single hit samples I've made in Kong, using Kong's percussion synthesisers, into Redrum.

djant16: Are you referring to sampling a single hit played on a Kong as audio in to the Redrum?

------------------

On a related note to this request, once that was implemented, how about being able to load redrum patches as Kong Kits and vice versa (obviously, you'd have 4 blanks empty in Kong and it'd only load the first ten banks in redrum).

nhsh 2012-10-15 23:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by CeriJC (Post 1156400)
Sorry, I can see how you can load .wavs that way, but I don't think you can load .drum sounds.

Correct. For what it's worth, a good number of .drum patches are based on the NN-NANO sampler, which means their underlying samples can be loaded into the Redrum. In Reason 5, they live in the Factory Sound Bank > Kong Patches > Kong Sounds & Samples.

But other .drum patches may use Kong's modelled synth devices, and effects. If you want those in Redrum, currently you'll have to resample them. I see the appeal of an enhanced Redrum, but I wonder if having a very quick Auto-Resample feature in Kong (at the current pitch with the current FX routing) would be nicer than making every device do pretty much the same as other related devices. Along with some sample drag and drop support to make things less painful. Such an instant resampling feature might even satisfy something's recent request for more Kong goodness.