Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Share Your Mastering Patches!!! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=169096)

beatsknocking 2012-10-16 03:32

Share Your Mastering Patches!!!

Can any Reason 6-6.5 Users share their Custom Mastering Presets?????

I'd like to hear from everybody!

So upload or explain your processes!!

tardisboy 2012-10-16 08:01

Its better to master outside of Reason.

reason2dance 2012-10-16 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by tardisboy (Post 1156627)
Its better to master outside of Reason.

It's better to not generalize :) ...

tardisboy 2012-10-16 14:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by reason2dance (Post 1156656)
It's better to not generalize :) ...

oh....I'm sorry.......I forgot, giving humble opinions based on experience with the idea that the person your giving advice to will ultimately make up his/her own mind is a bad thing to do here :) I'll remember to keep quiet. Its like Gearslutz!

reason2dance 2012-10-16 14:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by tardisboy (Post 1156793)
oh....I'm sorry.......I forgot, giving humble opinions based on experience with the idea that the person your giving advice to will ultimately make up his/her own mind is a bad thing to do here :) I'll remember to keep quiet. Its like Gearslutz!

You said your opinion, I said my opinion. Where's the problem?

deankay 2012-10-16 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by reason2dance (Post 1156794)
Where's the problem?

With Gearslutz, I think.

tardisboy 2012-10-16 14:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by reason2dance (Post 1156794)
You said your opinion, I said my opinion. Where's the problem?

You didn't respond to his questions. Just to my advice, which was pretty decent advice....food for thought.

Anyway, to the poster, try some of the outside mastering suites like T-Racks or Ozone. I use T-racks and actually make money with it as a mastering tool. My clients don't know any better, they think I'm using ultra expensive hardware gear or waves plugins. A different set of monitors for mastering is a good thing too. I use B&W 302's to create, B&W 802's to master.

You have to use your ears like magnifying glasses and a/b what your doing against material you believe to be well recorded. There's no set way to master, ask 10 mastering engineers how they do it, you'll get 10 different ways. Experiment. There are a ton of tutorials on youtube for mastering with any tool you would want to use. Wavelab and plugins also get the job done. Reason 6 has a much better sound now, but its better to approach a finished track with fresh ears in a different environment for mastering, Be sure to render your songs in reason leaving some headroom too.

JensenTNI 2012-10-16 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by tardisboy (Post 1156801)
Anyway, to the poster, try some of the outside mastering suites like T-Racks or Ozone.

Very true! However these outside mastering solutions usually cost a buck or two. Ozone and T-Racks are both very good however and worth their money... if you know what to do with them!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tardisboy (Post 1156801)
Reason 6 has a much better sound now, but its better to approach a finished track with fresh ears in a different environment for mastering, Be sure to render your songs in reason leaving some headroom too.

I can only agree to this statement, was at a friends studio last month, checking out my tunes. The studio is pretty high spec, with some really high quality monitoring. Boy was I shocked what I heard, things like intersample clipping, phasing, too much compression in individual channels, things I did not notice before or didn't really see as big issues. It was a bit of a revelation and I'm currently completely re-doing these reference mixes now.

So as tardisboy said, get a different set of ears and monitoring, otherwise mastering will only get you that far.

However, saying that, there is absolutely no harm in trying to master your own tunes, for example if they are not meant for commercial releases or if you want to play them live and want to get the proper levels. It really does some good to your mixes if you practice enough with you mastering kit.

PsyTale 2012-10-16 17:54

No Patches!

In my opinion (and i would like to be upfront and clearify that this is not supposed to be a reflection of other users' opinion.) there is no standard patch for Mastering. Mastering is something that is very agile, you need to change your concepts every other time and try out some stuff based on the track you are making.

Then again i make music in so many variable styles that maybe this requires a different approach from other users.

So basically I am telling you that I do not have a standard patch available for this.

I patch my tracks as I go along!

Lunesis 2012-10-16 18:24

Look up Selig's mix master template in the user forums.