Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Reaktor (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=169349)

Borderline 2012-10-19 11:35

Reaktor

Has anyone here got any experience of using REAKTOR??

Weve just started learning it at uni in our sound module... its pretty darned amazing IMO.

djfresha 2012-10-19 12:51

Reaktor is quite the beast.. very modular to pretty much near mothoerboard level... you dont go as far as all the components (alike in coding of resistors etc), but you get given the 'building blocks'

This is a much more efficient tool to make custom VST / AU style of effects and synths, and has come a long way

Synthedit and Synthmaker are similar, but they can code as VST .DLLs, while Reaktor is its own entity

Native Instruments at their finest (I do have Massive and Absynth 5 though :D)

adfielding 2012-10-19 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borderline (Post 1159376)

Weve just started learning it at uni in our sound module... its pretty darned amazing IMO.

I use it a lot for sound mangling, glitchy percussion and general mucking about. If you're into creating or manipulating your own sounds then it's really fantastic for that. The included synths are also pretty neat, though some are a bit abstract for my tastes.

I ended up having to build a generative Reaktor ensemble for a project at uni to run alongside a video, so all the timings had to be factored into each instrument. By the time I'd finished it was a mess. Here's how the overall ensemble looked during an all-nighter while I was working on it (apologies for the large image size):

http://i46.tinypic.com/dfvw45.jpg

NEVER AGAIN. Was kinda fun to build everything from scratch, though!

selig 2012-10-19 17:39

I've used Reaktor for years, mostly as a prototype building environment. I can be a huge time sink (in the best possible way), and you can do a lot just using the instruments built by others. From there, you can learn to modify existing instruments, and eventually to build your own from scratch.

Definitely a 'geek's paradise', but also useful as a playback device for some very unique instruments. :-)

ShelLuser 2012-10-19 19:49

Quote:

Its pretty amazing but as can be expected also has its limits, just like everything else. I'm more of a Max/MSP guy; to a certain degree comparable to Reaktor (the modular part) but a bit more extensive (it allows for specific audio & video processing too for example).

Of course you can't compare both of 'm one on one; one is a modular sound studio and thus fully aimed at sound and the sound experience whereas the other is a multimedia programming language which is aimed at basically everything. For example; "glueing" two DAWs together in Max through use of Rewire can provide some pretty interesting options...

JohnEh 2012-10-20 07:15

Would you Reaktor users care to share your workflow between Reason and Reaktor? I have spent some time with Reaktor but never found a satisfying way to go from Reaktor to Reason. Since I moved away from Sonar and VST hosting I have not used Reaktor.

How do you all do it?

Thank you in advance!

reasoner498 2012-10-20 09:02

Quote:

Would you Reaktor users care to share your workflow between Reason and Reaktor? I have spent some time with Reaktor but never found a satisfying way to go from Reaktor to Reason. Since I moved away from Sonar and VST hosting I have not used Reaktor.

How do you all do it?

Thank you in advance!
Reaktor accepts MIDI input and will record a wave file in standalone mode, so you can play parts, record and import them into Reason.

JohnEh 2012-10-21 07:05

Thanks reasoner498. I may go a do just that. I do enjoy playing around in Reaktor.

I guess I was hoping there was some cool way to be running Reaktor with your Reason song playing in the background so I wouldn't be creating Reaktor sounds in a vacuum so to speak.

papercrane 2012-10-21 13:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShelLuser (Post 1159699)
Its pretty amazing but as can be expected also has its limits, just like everything else. I'm more of a Max/MSP guy; to a certain degree comparable to Reaktor (the modular part) but a bit more extensive (it allows for specific audio & video processing too for example).

Of course you can't compare both of 'm one on one; one is a modular sound studio and thus fully aimed at sound and the sound experience whereas the other is a multimedia programming language which is aimed at basically everything. For example; "glueing" two DAWs together in Max through use of Rewire can provide some pretty interesting options...

I am also more of a Max guy and I agree with your sentiments that they really can't be compared at all. I think why the other is always brought up when one is mentioned is simply because they are the only two large commercial visual programming languages for audio related stuff (leaving out stuff like Usine, Bidule, etc....).

I would say for a straight audio shoot-out Reaktor most definitely has the upper-hand. I mean if your goal is to make the best sounding audio synths, samplers or fx then Reaktor wins (remember that unless you go really low level all the Reaktor built-in modules have that Native Instruments sound, which I like btw).

however at Uni we had to choose between modules in Reaktor or Max/MSP. I chose Max/MSP simply because (IMO) Reaktor is absolutely horrible to work in. the documentation for Reaktor is also nowhere near the documentation for Max/MSP.

for me I think the best thing about Max/MSP is the Ableton integration with Max4Live. now I can try and build stupid little effects, granular samplers or generative sequencers and integrate easily within the Live environment.

but yeah Reaktor is really an amazing program. it's just so damn hard to get at it properly.

charlycharlzz 2012-10-21 16:21

Quote:

It would be cool if when props change of system to create RE for R7 (I think it's called the sdk),
well it would be cool to keep the old one to create a easy RE builder module for users to use so we could create RE's like that reactor thing build synth's, but I do not think it will happen one day !