Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   If I turn it up it starts clipping and going fuzzy (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=169400)

DevilsGirth 2012-10-19 23:59

If I turn it up it starts clipping and going fuzzy

So I'm listening to other songs on youtube with my very affordable logitech speakers, and I can crank the volume up on these songs and they dont clip or peak or go fuzzy but when I play my song in reason and then turn up my speakers it will start getting more fuzzy the louder it gets. None of my tracks are clipping in the program, the closest it gets is like one bar of yellow occasionally. Any idea how to mix it so it sounds better? Im trying to learn about EQ and Iv been using that to get rid of awful frequencies but i still don't know how to get it to sound professional.

djfm1983 2012-10-20 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsGirth (Post 1159941)
So I'm listening to other songs on youtube with my very affordable logitech speakers, and I can crank the volume up on these songs and they dont clip or peak or go fuzzy but when I play my song in reason and then turn up my speakers it will start getting more fuzzy the louder it gets. None of my tracks are clipping in the program, the closest it gets is like one bar of yellow occasionally. Any idea how to mix it so it sounds better? Im trying to learn about EQ and Iv been using that to get rid of awful frequencies but i still don't know how to get it to sound professional.

It's gonna take a long time to get there. You gotta study mixing techniques. Buy some book, videos, go to school,ect... There's no one way to mix because each song is different so each song has to be mixed differently. Something to look into if you want to learn how to eq better. Trainyourears.com, or for android Aricula, iphone quiz tones, free program Mr Soundman. Plus you gotta learn what compression sounds like and what each knob does. You gotta invest in some good studio monitors, oh and they will only be as good as the acoustics in your room will allow (you can "learn" the sound of your speakers but that's going to take some time too) so you'll probably need to do some acoustical treatment to help your mixes "translate". I could probably keep going ok. I've been making music with Reason for over ten years now and I'm still studying and learning new things. It's going to be a long road ahead of you dude but you can always part someone to mix your tracks up to that "pro sound". There's many online services that offer that if your impatient to learn.

selig 2012-10-20 18:27

One possible thing that comes to mind, and keep in mind I'm not hearing your mix so this is PURE conjecture: you could have excessive sub-sonic energy in your mix. This would manifest as a track that clips smaller/cheaper systems easily. The reason is that you can't hear this energy BUT that it's taking up headroom and pushing your levels higher than other mixes (but without any advantages, and obvious disadvantages).

The fix is to use High Pass (low cut) filters on tracks that don't need to thump the low end, leaving only a few tracks with actual audible low frequency energy (bass, kick). Even on the bass/kick tracks you can cut the VERY lowest frequencies (below 30-40 Hz) if you do it carefully.

But don't over do it - I've heard tracks that were high-passed to death, leaving NO real low end and sounding thin and wimpy. My common advice is to carefully trim the low end with HP filters, but try to avoid totally 'neutering' your tracks! ;-)

The common approach is to gradually raise the HP filter's frequency until you hear the low end get reduced, and then back up just a bit to before you heard any change. This will ensure you don't remove 'musical' frequencies but still protect your mix from excessive sub-sonic energy eating up your mix headroom. :-)

But remember, this is without hearing your mix, so there could be other things going on.