Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Note to Propellerheads: PLEASE KILL YOURSELVES!!!! (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=169407)

TechMex 2012-10-20 02:32

Note to Propellerheads: PLEASE "DO NOT" KILL YOURSELVES!!!!

To whom it may concern,

I purchased a copy of Reason 6 with the idea of upgrading to Reason 6.5 so I proceeded to install it on my Mac Book Pro with all my existing refills that I had acquired over the last FIVE YEARS that were installed in my Applications->Reason Folder.

After installation and to my horror, I found out ALL MY REFILLS ARE GONE!!!!!

In a panic, I called Customer Support in the US and they basically said the refills were wiped out during installation.

You cannot imagine how PISSED I am as I'm typing this. I am trembling with utter complete RAGE!!!!!!

I have a feeling I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

Why wasn't this made apparent to me prior to Install?? A SIMPLE NOTE IN THE INSTALLATION CD NOTIFYING PEOPLE TO MOVE THEIR REFILLS OUT OF THE REASON FOLDER PRIOR TO INSTALL WOULD HAVE SAVED ME AND A WHOLE LOT OF OTHER PEOPLE THE GRIEF AND PAIN OF LOSING ALL THEIR REFILLS!!!!

DON'T YOU THINK SO???????

I REALLY HATE YOU GUYS RIGHT ABOUT NOW!!!!

GGGGRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!! . . . . . . . . . . . .

nickmorgan19457 2012-10-20 02:38

In this thread: Maturity.

A) It warns you to backup your folder before installing. Time Machine makes this really easy, but you could just copy everything to the desktop.
B) Unless you pirated them, you should have discs or links to reacquire your refills.
C) You brought this on yourself, so don't bitch and moan here about it.

dub08 2012-10-20 02:43

You might be luckier than most people since youre on a Mac.
I've seen this happen (with Mac users only) where you can get them back somehow. Can't make promises but, maybe someone else here knows how that works and can help you.

Anyhow, it's a often discussed thing as a rule here: you NEVER put your song/refills I the app folder.

Lunesis 2012-10-20 02:49

Did you read this?

https://www.propellerheads.se/download/reason-upgrade/

dub08 2012-10-20 02:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunesis (Post 1160021)

Quote:

Important for Mac users! If you have personal files, e.g. ReFills, song files and patches in your Reason application folder, then you must move them to another location before you install the upgrade, or they will be lost.
Damn I guess I was very badly mistaken!
But...I helped someone upgrade over the phone once and, they lost everything. just gone...but then they got it back somehow. idk what's up I guess :)

nickmorgan19457 2012-10-20 02:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by dub08 (Post 1160024)
Damn I guess I was very badly mistaken!
But...I helped someone upgrade over the phone once and, they lost everything. just gone...but then they got it back somehow. idk what's up I guess :)

Probably Time Machine.

dub08 2012-10-20 02:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickmorgan19457 (Post 1160025)
Probably Time Machine.

That sounds familiar...that had to be it.

What about it OP, You got the time machine on your machine?

normen 2012-10-20 03:05

Having a mac and not knowing that folders get overwritten completely? Not having a backup of your most precious data? Kill yourself ^^

joeyluck 2012-10-20 03:08

While we're on the topic...

When installing new versions of Reason on my Mac, I've simply been dragging and dropping the new Reason application into my old folder (simply overriding the old application). Works fine for me! Thus, there is no worry, and I don't have to spend forever moving things around (I don't understand the need). Is there a reason anyone has to copy the folder over?

In any case, this is normal behavior for everything on your computer. If you drag a folder of the same name onto your computer and 'replace' the old one, well then, you'll end up with what is in the new folder.

TechMex 2012-10-20 03:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lunesis (Post 1160021)

If there is one thing that Software companies do over and over, time and time again is to ASSUME that people just should KNOW BY DEFAULT about the particulars of an Operating System and/or the Application itself, specially when it involves end users switching over from Windows to Mac which in itself, represents a huge investment of TIME & MONEY!!

Why would a company leave to chance the possibility that someone who just got sold on their application and a new platform to run it on. Don't you think it would only be to propeller heads interest to make a simple FYI for everyone without again, assuming that everyone who wants reason, already knows how it works under a particular os??