Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   Feature Suggestion Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Midi Editor i.e. Piano Roll (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=169416)

Smokey622 2012-10-20 05:30

Midi Editor i.e. Piano Roll

I've been ReWiring Reason into FL for years. I can't seem to let one go. Reason's sound creation capabilities and recalling are second to none. FL's sequencer and midi editing is second to none. I've am leaning towards reason more because I travel with my mac a lot and Reason is not CPU heavy at all and I can have a massive project open on my Macbook while I'm traveling.

I just really wish Reason had a midi editor or "piano roll" similar to Fl. It is easier to draw in notes and delete and extend.

I hope some one propellerhead creative team would consider this because I know solid reason users who agree with this.

Think about it pleeease!

jlgrimes 2012-10-20 14:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey622 (Post 1160118)
I've been ReWiring Reason into FL for years. I can't seem to let one go. Reason's sound creation capabilities and recalling are second to none. FL's sequencer and midi editing is second to none. I've am leaning towards reason more because I travel with my mac a lot and Reason is not CPU heavy at all and I can have a massive project open on my Macbook while I'm traveling.

I just really wish Reason had a midi editor or "piano roll" similar to Fl. It is easier to draw in notes and delete and extend.

I hope some one propellerhead creative team would consider this because I know solid reason users who agree with this.

Think about it pleeease!

Yeah Reasons piano roll is pretty bad compared to just about everything.

bigant 2012-10-20 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlgrimes (Post 1160263)
Yeah Reasons piano roll is pretty bad compared to just about everything.

I disagree with you on this one,i find reasons piano roll easy and fun to use compared to logics piano roll. Tried to figure out how to add 16ths,32,and 64 notes in logic to no success. Reasons piano roll is very easy to do this by setting the time to 1/64. What i do now is program some drums in redrum then copy and paste the pattern to the sequencer where i can see the notes. Stretch the bar ruler all the way left so i can see all slots in the grid,then add notes to make a basic looping beat more complexed. I can do rolls,triplets or what ever comes to mind now when using this method. As far as i see it reason is second to none with the way you can copy and paste patterns from redrum for as long as you want by using the locators in the sequencer. If you want 8 bars set the right locator to 8 bars,if you want the pattern to be 100 bars just move the locator,this is huge for me. With logic you have to click and drag 2-4 bars at a time and try to put them together on beat,very time consuming. I finally figured out how to get each pattern in redrum A1-A8 to hit on time but then i learned how to just copy and paste lets say a pattern of 1-32 steps,for hip hop it's time to change things up so from 33-48 steps i do a break down or some type of change up then paste that pattern after the first,and so on. Or instead of the copy and paste method i can program patterns 1-32 to play as many times as i like and program patterns 33-48 to play when ever i like,is there any other DAW with these options?

jlgrimes 2012-10-20 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigant (Post 1160428)
I disagree with you on this one,i find reasons piano roll easy and fun to use compared to logics piano roll. Tried to figure out how to add 16ths,32,and 64 notes in logic to no success. Reasons piano roll is very easy to do this by setting the time to 1/64. What i do now is program some drums in redrum then copy and paste the pattern to the sequencer where i can see the notes. Stretch the bar ruler all the way left so i can see all slots in the grid,then add notes to make a basic looping beat more complexed. I can do rolls,triplets or what ever comes to mind now when using this method. As far as i see it reason is second to none with the way you can copy and paste patterns from redrum for as long as you want by using the locaters in the sequencer. If you want 8 bars set the right locater to 8 bars,if you want the pattern to be 100 bars just move the locater,this is huge for me. With logic you have to click and drag 2-4 bars at a time and try to put them together on beat,very time consuming. I finally figured out how to get each pattern in redrum A1-A8 to hit on time but then i learned how to just copy and paste lets say a pattern of 1-32 steps,for hip hop it's time to change things up so from 33-48 steps i do a break down or some type of change up then paste that pattern after the first,and so on. Or instead of the copy and paste method i can program patterns 1-32 to play as many times as i like and program patterns 33-48 to play when ever i like,is there any other DAW with these options?

I never used Logic to be honest.

A easy and fun piano roll IMO is Abletons. It only has two tools (select and draw). Select tool can also draw notes if you double click. Draw tool is a paintbrush tool.

The two things I really love about Live,

Fold function, Live is very good at getting a nice view of the data you want to edit. Fold only show the lanes with data in it. Live is the only program that does this. It is great when I need to delete/edit something quickly.

Also it has a note mute function I like.

Also all of the snap settings can be changed with key bindings. And it's snap settings are far more extensive than Propellerheads.

Reasons piano roll isn't totally bad. I do kind of dig the event based editing.

Smokey622 2012-10-21 04:49

Best thing about FL's Piano Roll:
(I would love to see these in Reason)

-Left Click = Draw Clips/Notes
-Right Click = Delete Clips/Notes

-Bigger grids and midi notes.

-Tools like, Strum, Claw, Quantize, and DEFINITELY CHOP.

-If you click a selected note that is a 1/4 note. . .every note you draw until you select another will be a 1/4 note (easy for drums and hi-hats) This feature applies to the clips (sequencing) as well. You can hold and drag and it will draw as many clips as your heart desires.

- When you want to extend a clip/note, instead of having to select a new tool, you should be able to go to either side of the clip/note and the cursor should change into the "<->" cursor for collapsing and extending on a normal PC/application. If you don't understand look at the cursor when you are resizing a window by its corner.

papercrane 2012-10-21 12:30

I assume this is one of the big things that the Propellerheads are working on for Reason 7.

bigant 2012-10-21 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokey622 (Post 1160842)
Best thing about FL's Piano Roll:
(I would love to see these in Reason)

-Left Click = Draw Clips/Notes
-Right Click = Delete Clips/Notes

-Bigger grids and midi notes.

-Tools like, Strum, Claw, Quantize, and DEFINITELY CHOP.

-If you click a selected note that is a 1/4 note. . .every note you draw until you select another will be a 1/4 note (easy for drums and hi-hats) This feature applies to the clips (sequencing) as well. You can hold and drag and it will draw as many clips as your heart desires.

- When you want to extend a clip/note, instead of having to select a new tool, you should be able to go to either side of the clip/note and the cursor should change into the "<->" cursor for collapsing and extending on a normal PC/application. If you don't understand look at the cursor when you are resizing a window by its corner.

Most def need a BIGGER GRID!!!!!!

"If you click a selected note that is a 1/4 note".
That would be tight if props added this!!!

Edit: If you want qtr notes all the time just select 1/4 resolution and the box's in the grid all turn into qtr notes. What i think is needed is and option that lets you change one note to make a triplet that changes all the notes into triplets in that column. I just had to manually change some snares for over a hundred bars this would've help me a lot.

glocklee 2012-11-15 18:21

+1

I totally agree that FL piano roll is unbeatable...
When I use reason, I'm never happy to actually program a midi sequence with only a mouse. But with FL, my input speed can catch up with my thinking.

Also, in fl studio you can even do step editing with a midi keyboard.

Karuno 2012-11-18 21:10

I totally agree, indeed. I used to think Reason was awesome, then I tried ProTools...
The MIDI editor is so better I almost switched to ProTools. But still Reason is the best software, either you want instrument or audio !

The possibility to mix several track on the piano roll and only write on one, so you have an overall view in edit mode, is a real plus that is missing in Reason.
Not to mention the smart tool and other features.

Props really need a better piano roll and midi edition. I saw the tutorial a couple of minutes ago, hoping I could learn something I didn't know in order to improve my workflow... It's indeed very very basic.

I'll never stop to say, Reason has the potential to be the best MAO soft, but they keep making RE, synths and refills...
I'm not a big audio user, but THIS was a real leap in Reason. Thor can do almost everything, but people keep asking synths because they can't create anything...

Priorities, Props...
Do you want to be the very best like no one ever was, or catch them (=idiots who can't create sounds and expect you to release more and more synths) is your real test, and drag them is your cause?

Karuno 2012-11-18 21:15

May the truth be with you...