Propellerhead Forum

Propellerhead Forum (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/index.php)
-   General Forum (read only) (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   sub sections for other languages ?? (https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?t=169468)

devilfish 2012-10-20 23:56

sub sections for other languages ??

hi! :)

only one question...

are you thinking it is good or bad to have sub sections for other non english speaking people in the propellerheads forum?

spain, france, german, russian, japan,... , ..., ... ??

regards from germany ;)

pushedbutton 2012-10-21 00:09

nein danke.
This would fragment a strong international community and it would put certain groups at a disadvantage. It would also mean more paperwork for the props who would have to translate every announcement they made into every known language. So in short, screw that. As a native English speaker I do feel a little sorry for you but on the other hand our education system is so poor that barely any of us leave school with bilingual skills. It's a shame, but if everyone can communicate with the lowest common denominator (me) then nobody feels left out.

devilfish 2012-10-21 00:18

for my personally it is not so bad.. to have no german sub section..

but certainly for some other users..
maybe there are thousands more, if we had the sub-sections??

i dont know ...

Mate 2012-10-21 00:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushedbutton (Post 1160687)
nein danke.
This would fragment a strong international community and it would put certain groups at a disadvantage. It would also mean more paperwork for the props who would have to translate every announcement they made into every known language. So in short, screw that. As a native English speaker I do feel a little sorry for you but on the other hand our education system is so poor that barely any of us leave school with bilingual skills. It's a shame, but if everyone can communicate with the lowest common denominator (me) then nobody feels left out.

Heh, true!

If not for this forum I wouldn't improved my typing English (though I have to improve & improve! :))

I remember 3 years ago I couldn't to build a simple sentences! :D

And btw all cool books about music stuff & cool movies are all on English, so why bother by other languages?

Cheers!

ayello 2012-10-21 00:32

I agree, i think everything wich is able to make the Reason community bigger is good.
Sometimes technical words or concepts are hard to get when your not english speaking so , it's a double difficulty.

Best
Michel

pushedbutton 2012-10-21 00:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayello (Post 1160711)
I agree, i think everything wich is able to make the Reason community bigger is good.
Sometimes technical words or concepts are hard to get when your not english speaking so , it's a double difficulty.

Best
Michel

I'm sure on those occasion it's fine to throw in a native phrase or two but on the whole we like to know what you're talking about so we can all learn from you.

ayello 2012-10-21 01:04

I m rather learn from others here since i m not that experimented Technique user, but i try to share at my level, what i think could be interesting for the community.
I m happy on this forum, People are nice and helpful.

Best
Michel

zeebot 2012-10-21 02:32

With the power of google translate these days anything can be translated very well into pretty much any language.
I sympathise with non english speaking members. I've started learning german and polish (damn polish is hard) and its honestly been a struggle but as pushed said the british school system seem to teach foreign languages as a hobby and nothing too serious.
I guess english speakers are sort of lazy when it comes to different languages but we are brought up that way :(

platzangst 2012-10-21 03:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushedbutton (Post 1160687)
It would also mean more paperwork for the props who would have to translate every announcement they made into every known language.

Not to mention the fact that they would have to have people versed in each language to act as moderators, to monitor for spam and root out abusive behavior. I imagine they already have a few people with language skills beyond English and Swedish, but could they conveniently oversee a decent selection of the most-used languages? That might be more difficult than expected.

gwynebiau 2012-10-21 08:25

I know that there are a lot of people here who speak other languages, but I don't know if there are enough who speak one specific language other than English to justify making a new forum for it.

Plus I would guess that by now a lot of the people using other languages who want a Reason related forum have found another place that works for them. A new forum here might build up over time, but I'm guessing that the non-native English speakers would still be spending a lot of their time in this forum since it has the most traffic.

Other people have made some good points too, so overall I'd say at least right now we're probably better off sticking with one language as much as possible.